Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud clunk on 1st reverse of day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, it’s about 35-40* garage, not too cold, but every time for past month, when I start reversing out of garage, there’s a loud clunk. The rest of the drive, no clunk. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything I can do about it?

This is almost certainly just rusty rotors stuck to the pads after sitting for a while, especially if they've been wet or have salt on them from driving. The first time you move, it breaks free (this is the clunk) and the remaining rust is essentially wiped away by the rest of the drive.

You will especially experience this is a garage, because it allows the salty water to be a liquid (and rust far easier) instead of freezing outside.

Most cars do this. Nothing to be concerned about.

This is almost certainly just rusty rotors stuck to the pads after sitting for a while, especially if they've been wet or have salt on them from driving. The first time you move, it breaks free (this is the clunk) and the remaining rust is essentially wiped away by the rest of the drive.

You will especially experience this is a garage, because it allows the salty water to be a liquid (and rust far easier) instead of freezing outside.

Most cars do this. Nothing to be concerned about.
Today, I tried this- pulled forward a few inches, then reversed. No clunk

If it is the brakes, it's more of a thud instead of a clunk. I have had this on all my previous cars and it's actually not bad in the model 3. My previous car had massive brakes that would require quite a bit of engine power to break free. I would suggest maybe scrubbing your brakes (by using them) right before parking in your garage.