Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud electric whiny noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my 3 on Saturday (VIN 19XX) and noticed when I stop the car something in front of the car is making a loud whiny noise. It sounds like an electric motor running at high rpms. It stops when the car locks itself.

Has anyone seen this issue? I was hoping it would be a software thing.. but rebooting didn't help.

Hard to know without hearing it but in our Model S and X sometimes after we stop we hear the heating/cooling system continue to run for a few seconds to a few minutes as the car manages the battery temperature into the right range. I'd characterize our sound as a whirring fan noise from a compressor. That's normal for Tesla because of their active battery management system.

Normal for a Tesla to make odd noises at any time. The car is never really off and will hum, whirl or even make klunks when off. The latter is usually contractors closing to draw current from the battery for some reason. Most everyone takes a few days to get used to it. You will too.

Depending on how loud it is, it's either the AC compressor or the coolant pump. The latter is less loud. It's simple to test. Turn-off the HVAC system and if the noise stops, there's your answer.

Come to think of it, since the noise stops when you shut the door, that tells me that it is the AC compressor. On Teslas, the HVAC turns-on as soon as you open the door and off when you close it. Because of this, I made a habit of turning the HVAC off before I exit the vehicle.

I just took delivery of my 3 on Saturday (VIN 19XX) and noticed when I stop the car something in front of the car is making a loud whiny noise. It sounds like an electric motor running at high rpms. It stops when the car locks itself.

Has anyone seen this issue? I was hoping it would be a software thing.. but rebooting didn't help.

I have the same thing. I think it’s headlights electronics. Not sure why since I thought they were LED.

I have this noise coming from my headlights, the video doesn't quite convey how loud they really are. The noise seems to vary, sometimes louder.

I'm curious if anyone ended up taking the car to Tesla and what the outcome was (is it normal or not)?

I have a Roadster. When I shut the car off the cooling system keeps running until it reaches the temperature it's happy with. After driving it hard, for a long time, on a very hot day, the noise is quite loud. When the car is off even if it has been off all night, if I unplug it, or open a door or the trunk, it will start to hum. I think it's starting the cooling system to get a head start. This is all normal operation.

Sounds like the A/C compressor, the one on my S used to be very loud. The eventually replaced it. If you take a video with some good audio indication of how loud it is, like how loud you need to talk in order to be heard over the sound, and then send it to them, they can often tell you if it sounds normal or too loud. In the latter case they will have you bring it in and check it out.