TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Loud Fan Noise When Charging at 64A

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SevenWithaT, Aug 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

My 2013 Tesla MS's fan would go really loud around 60% when charging from 20% every time. The temperature at night was about 24C. Is this normal? In terms of loudness, it's louder than our neighbor's AC unit. It was so loud that we can hear it in our bedroom. The car was parked outside.

2. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Most likely normal. What do you use to charge your car?

4. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

I used the Tesla Wall Charger.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Then yeah, the fan noise is normal. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe the newer Model S have quieter AC fans/cooling system.

6. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

If it bothers you turn the amps down in your car to 30 or so. You have plenty of time to charge overnight you don't need full power which makes more heat.

7. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

Is it possible to upgrade the AC and cooling system? It's quite loud. I ended up stopping the charging and scheduled the charging again one hour late with 42AMP. I don't know if the fan went wild again because I fell asleep by then.

8. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

I noticed that, but it kinda defeat the purpose of buying a tesla wall charger...

9. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

Actually charging at 40amp has already defeated the purpose of wall charger because a normal NEMA14-50 can do that too...

10. p85lover/owner

I'm having the same problem and thought it was not normal

11. jzhan

jzhan Member

Charging at high amp and voltage is not black magic. Tesla charging systems still have to follow the rules of physics which means some energy will be converted to heat when charging. Charging at 70+Amp likely generate more than twice the heat compared to charging at 40A. The additional heat will have to be dissipated with the same heatsink, so what gives? The fan has to speed up significantly in order to displace enough air to cool the battery to optimal charging temp.
    Think of it this way, if the fan isn't working that hard, your battery probably won't last half as long if you charged at those high amperage.
    I only have a NEMA 14-50 plug, so I can't say if the newer models are quieter or the same with high amperage charging, but I doubt it really improved that much if at all. Charging at 17KW per hour will generate tons of heat regardless.

12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Even if you don't routinely charge at full power using the wall charger, it is still useful. It allows you to keep your portable UMC in your car so you won't forget it for overnight trips. It is more robust than the UMC for daily charging, and slightly more energy efficient. Also, you do have the option of charging fast when you do need it.

• Like x 1
  13. Ingineer

Ingineer Electrical Engineer

Yes, don't charge at 64A if you don't want the fans. Depending on ambient temp and battery temp when charging starts, you will not get the fans at lower amperages. Save 64A for when you need it, charge at 40A or less for normal overnight. It's less load on the grid, and less loss (more efficient).

14. p85lover/owner

I talked to my SC and they said that was some thing new in the new software update to keep the battery cooler.

15. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

since you brought it up, there's actually isn't much point to owning a HPWC for most owners. I've never needed one in 2 years.

16. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

What if you set the amp limit in the car to 42 amps? This would force the load to split across your dual chargers at 21 amps each.

17. SevenWithaT

SevenWithaT Member

I see. Thanks, guys. All your points are taken. I will probably just limit the charging amp to 42 A until I need the high amp. Winter is coming, I may try high amp charge again in the winter months to see if that would instead keep the battery warm.
    In terms of the charger, I have a feeling that I may have spent the $$$ on things I don't actually need.

18. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Sorry, but the main reason to have an HPWC is to have a cool-looking Tesla thing on your wall with moving green lights. ;-)

19. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker Beta Tester

The UMC can also be considered a "cool-looking Tesla thing on your wall with moving green lights." ;)

20. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Some of us only have 4-hour TOU windows. HPWC and high amperage charging is the only way to get it done in time.