Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud Fan Noise When Charging at 64A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Tesla MS's fan would go really loud around 60% when charging from 20% every time. The temperature at night was about 24C. Is this normal? In terms of loudness, it's louder than our neighbor's AC unit. It was so loud that we can hear it in our bedroom. The car was parked outside.

Is it possible to upgrade the AC and cooling system? It's quite loud. I ended up stopping the charging and scheduled the charging again one hour late with 42AMP. I don't know if the fan went wild again because I fell asleep by then.

Charging at high amp and voltage is not black magic. Tesla charging systems still have to follow the rules of physics which means some energy will be converted to heat when charging. Charging at 70+Amp likely generate more than twice the heat compared to charging at 40A. The additional heat will have to be dissipated with the same heatsink, so what gives? The fan has to speed up significantly in order to displace enough air to cool the battery to optimal charging temp.
Think of it this way, if the fan isn't working that hard, your battery probably won't last half as long if you charged at those high amperage.
I only have a NEMA 14-50 plug, so I can't say if the newer models are quieter or the same with high amperage charging, but I doubt it really improved that much if at all. Charging at 17KW per hour will generate tons of heat regardless.

Even if you don't routinely charge at full power using the wall charger, it is still useful. It allows you to keep your portable UMC in your car so you won't forget it for overnight trips. It is more robust than the UMC for daily charging, and slightly more energy efficient. Also, you do have the option of charging fast when you do need it.

Reactions: Canuck
Yes, don't charge at 64A if you don't want the fans. Depending on ambient temp and battery temp when charging starts, you will not get the fans at lower amperages. Save 64A for when you need it, charge at 40A or less for normal overnight. It's less load on the grid, and less loss (more efficient).

I see. Thanks, guys. All your points are taken. I will probably just limit the charging amp to 42 A until I need the high amp. Winter is coming, I may try high amp charge again in the winter months to see if that would instead keep the battery warm.
In terms of the charger, I have a feeling that I may have spent the $$$ on things I don't actually need.