TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Loud Noise Coming From Back

Discussion in 'Model S' started by IGotEastBay, May 22, 2017.

1. IGotEastBay

IGotEastBay Member

Hi all,

My 2017 MS 75D is a little bit short of 2 weeks since pick up. A few days ago I was driving on the freeway and then back through town and noticed a loud noise coming from the back. Was tough to hear at first because I had music on, but when the volume lowered for the nav after the freeway, I noticed it. The sound was loudest at higher speed and went away when slowing down. When it was at it's loudest, it was loud enough that it gave me a head ache.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly when it started or what speeds caused it. It has since gone away and hasn't come back.

My question to everyone, any idea what may be causing this? I did some reading and it sounds like this is related to the drive train. I'm really hoping that I don't have a bad unit on a new car.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. lonewolf313

lonewolf313 Member

Don't the drive train units have an 8 year unlimited warranty?

So, what are you worried about? It will be replaced for free if faulty.

3. Haxster

Haxster Member

Do you park your car outside overnight? Any stray cats in your neighborhood?

• Funny x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Active Member

while it is true that tesla will replace the unit the big question is how long it would take them to get the unit to your service center. weeks long waits haven't been uncommon for this unit

5. IGotEastBay

IGotEastBay Member

No, the car's garaged the entire time. No stray cats in my garage, unless they're better at hiding than I thought. :)

What would a cat do to cause the sound?

6. IGotEastBay

IGotEastBay Member

This. Not really worried that it won't get fixed just time and hassle. Haven't been to the service center yet, not really sure what to expect.

Assuming the DT is the issue, do drivetrain replacement parts typically take a while to source/complete?

7. Haxster

Haxster Member

:eek::eek:

8. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

They usually just pull the whole DT and ship it back to the factory and pop in a new one. When I had my older unit replaced about a year ago it took them ~ a week to get it after ordering and just a day to replace it. They gave a free loaner Model S of course. It does sound like something you should contact your service center about. You may want to record the noise with your phone to share with them.

9. hmmm

hmmm Member

10. MDMGSO47

MDMGSO47 Member

"Loud Noise Coming From Back"

Have you tried Beano?

11. IGotEastBay

IGotEastBay Member

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), the noise only happened that once and hasn't returned, so I don't have anything to share with them. I took it to the service center and we drove around for a bit in the lot but couldn't reproduce. Sounds like I'll have to wait and see if it returns again before they'll do any more investigation.