Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Loud snapping or popping noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but this just happened to me today and I came online to look for a solution:

I heard an extremely loud thump/pop noise that sounded like a large rock hit the top of my windshield. There were no other vehicles in sight to have thrown something at us, and I was only driving around 45mph on a suburban road. I stopped at the nearest parking lot and fully expected to find big cracks in my windshield. Nothing...

No idea what it was, but it scared the hell out of me in the moment. Anyone?

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this just happened to me today and I came online to look for a solution:

I heard an extremely loud thump/pop noise that sounded like a large rock hit the top of my windshield. There were no other vehicles in sight to have thrown something at us, and I was only driving around 45mph on a suburban road. I stopped at the nearest parking lot and fully expected to find big cracks in my windshield. Nothing...

No idea what it was, but it scared the hell out of me in the moment. Anyone?
Sounds like it might be the "oil canning" pop sound from the metal plate over the battery pack. That's a known sound on the Model 3 and I suppose would happen on the Y as well. What's basically happening is that there is a large metal plate. It has a bit of tension as temperature changes, and the metal is trying to expand or contract. If there is some air pressure difference between the two sides, it can be pressing on the sheet, and at some point, it can make a "pop" noise as the curvature of the plate flexes into the other direction. So it's the same kind of effect if you have a metal oil or gas can that is sealed, and your garage heats up or cools down, and the bottom of the metal can pops from the air pressure changes of inside versus outside.

Owners frequently have observed it during Supercharging, because that's heating up the battery pack. There is a service bulletin related to this, where they change something with the "breather valves" that let the air pressure equalize between the inside and outside, so it doesn't have to let that pressure build up.

Sounds like it might be the "oil canning" pop sound from the metal plate over the battery pack. That's a known sound on the Model 3 and I suppose would happen on the Y as well. What's basically happening is that there is a large metal plate. It has a bit of tension as temperature changes, and the metal is trying to expand or contract. If there is some air pressure difference between the two sides, it can be pressing on the sheet, and at some point, it can make a "pop" noise as the curvature of the plate flexes into the other direction. So it's the same kind of effect if you have a metal oil or gas can that is sealed, and your garage heats up or cools down, and the bottom of the metal can pops from the air pressure changes of inside versus outside.

Owners frequently have observed it during Supercharging, because that's heating up the battery pack. There is a service bulletin related to this, where they change something with the "breather valves" that let the air pressure equalize between the inside and outside, so it doesn't have to let that pressure build up.
It's not that. I've heard that before. That sound is from below the car and I'm familiar with it. This was clearly at the roofline near the sun-visors.

On nearly every drive the car occasionly makes a loud snapping noise like a rock hitting the windshield. Anyone have a similar experience or know what it is?
My 2022 Y started doing that since the last service a month or so ago. They replaced the left pillar camera and I can’t imagine that would be the cause.

It sound exactly like a rock hitting the windshield. Happens only after the car has been sitting outside for a few hours, in moderate weather.

I first heard this loud "crack", within the first 2 weeks of ownership, in Jan. 2021. I've heard the same sound (now at 45k, 2.5 years), maybe 4-5 times, since then, and have never located the source of the sound. It's startling, but I've learned to ignore it. Now that I think about it, the sound is similar to a static electric discharge that I've heard on airplanes.

It is NOT the same sound as the floor/battery flexing while charging in cold weather. That sound is more metallic, like the sound of pressing on a food jar's lid after the vacuum has been released.

I first heard this loud "crack", within the first 2 weeks of ownership, in Jan. 2021. I've heard the same sound (now at 45k, 2.5 years), maybe 4-5 times, since then, and have never located the source of the sound. It's startling, but I've learned to ignore it. Now that I think about it, the sound is similar to a static electric discharge that I've heard on airplanes.

It is NOT the same sound as the floor/battery flexing while charging in cold weather. That sound is more metallic, like the sound of pressing on a food jar's lid after the vacuum has been released.

I've heard it multiple times as well and it sounds like it is coming from the upper windshield area on the passenger side. The first time it happened just as I passed someone mowing by the side of the road. I was sure it was a rock from the mower, but there was no mark or crack. The other times afterward sounded just the the same.

I've heard it multiple times as well and it sounds like it is coming from the upper windshield area on the passenger side. The first time it happened just as I passed someone mowing by the side of the road. I was sure it was a rock from the mower, but there was no mark or crack. The other times afterward sounded just the the same.
That area is where most of the heater/ac fan heater core blend doors ect are located. Very well could be an actuator malfunctioning.
1687531928889.png

Most popping sounds and the like usually come from the mid to rear of the cabin.

Darmie: I don't think the plastic material shown in the picture is capable of making the loud, percussive "SNAP" I'm talking about.

Another description: it's like a stringed bass "thwack" sound that is created by lifting string and releasing it, allowing the string to strike the fingerboard.

It's LOUD!!!!

Darmie: I don't think the plastic material shown in the picture is capable of making the loud, percussive "SNAP" I'm talking about.

Another description: it's like a stringed bass "thwack" sound that is created by lifting string and releasing it, allowing the string to strike the fingerboard.

It's LOUD!!!!

Yes, it is loud! To me, it sounds like a sizeable rock hitting the windshield.