Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Love the Model 3, but the auto-dimming brights feature doesn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. I find it only works on dark roads, anything else turns them off. That's the only place I use my brights though so not a problem to me. It was 6 months or more before I even tried them the first time to see the rectangular beam that it throws off with a very sharp cutoff.

Reactions: nickbatz
^ The subject.

It thinks every light in every house is an oncoming car and won't let you turn your brights on.

The feature simply doesn't work.
What year and car do you have? I have a 2018 M3 and mine work very well. I don't have that problem. If anything, I'd like them to be more sensitive to lights and I typically don't use it because I don't want to accidentally blind other drivers before they click off.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Auto high beams are easily the worst feature of the car. For gods sake, let us disable this when on autopilot!!!
I haven't figured out a way to make it to where they never turn on when engaging Autopilot. However, you can press your left stick forward to deactivate the high-beams once Autopilot is activated to turn them back off. I've not seem auto high beams turn back on unless I've deactivated and reactivated Autopilot.

Sad part is, auto high beams work perfectly on a simple Chevy Volt. As does adaptive cruise control.
Why can’t Tesla get tried and true tech right...?
The 2019 Volt auto highs are Really good! As in use all the time. Don't flash others, can tell the difference between signs and other cars. The Tesla auto lights are the worst! Go low for signs, flash other cars, or hold high way too long. For being so smart and AI based, would think it could identify oncoming cars. IT CAN'T.

If the Tesla was like the Volt, people would be very happy and saying how advanced the AI is. That isn't the case. Was hoping with FSD it would identify cars and lights would be better. Nope, they still suck.

And for Adaptive cruise, I didn't even known there was such a thing as Phantom Braking until got the Tesla. Volt kicks its a$% as it is very smooth and Never brakes for who-knows-what the Tesla is slowing for. Disappointing Tesla, really Disappointing.

auto wipers don't work also
and auto driving doesn't work

Kind of a bad pattern when Elon's thing is to automate everything and remove all driver agency from the vehicle.
Even worse. Didn't Elon tweet, 'All User Input is Error' or something like that in respose to complains in V11 of removing seat heater buttons to a menu? What a total disconnected crock of B.S. Does the car have sensors to know how warm my a$% is? Does it know how warm I like it? Without those sensors as even a starting point, how can the AI ever know just hot hot I like it?

The list of things that don't work right are embarrassing for a car that cost what a Tesla does.
-Auto wipers
-Auto Highs
-TACC - WITHOUT PHANTOM BRAKING! (Car has radar, removed now with FSD for wonderful Vision Cruise)
-Smart Summon
-FSD Beta (a joke by me on 2 lane side roads Phantom braking SO bad can't use with wife in car. Or add a little bad weather to the mix and FSD falls apart)
-Speed control that doesn't slow until AFTER you pass a speed limit sign. Ex Signs 55-->35mph, and speeding for along time until Automation gets the car down to 35. Dangerous and a ticket waiting to happen.
-Hulu login on MCU (broke last July)
-'Park Assist Unavailable' beep every 10 minutes on Software versions from June-> Nov, now just when slow to under 10 mph, get 1 warming)
-Computer screen that locks and need a 'two button reset' (didn't know THAT was a thing until got a Tesla)
-Web browser that locks up ALL the time = useless.
-Car wouldn't "start". 2 button reset no help. Had to 'change wheel size reset' and fine then. Stuck in parking lot for 10 minutes while it did that.
-Now, Can't accel hard as have front shimmy from 'eaten' drive axel rattle at 20,000 miles. (Model X problem, ever really fixed???)
I've more but those a some of the biggies.

And no, I don't 'love my car'. It's a car. I love my wife and family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carolina Karl