Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Low pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
It’s winter time and I noticed that the ride of my MY is excellent on 19” wheels. Then I noticed that my tire pressure in the cold is around 34. Probably not ideal but it does soften the ride significantly yet still have firm sidewalls for potholes and day to day driving. It’ll accelerate tire wear but it might be worth it.

It’s winter time and I noticed that the ride of my MY is excellent on 19” wheels. Then I noticed that my tire pressure in the cold is around 34. Probably not ideal but it does soften the ride significantly yet still have firm sidewalls for potholes and day to day driving. It’ll accelerate tire wear but it might be worth it.
It will also cause more energy use, change braking characteristics and COULD cause more wear and tear on steering components, however it does provide better traction on snow, sand and soft or loose surfaces, there are always trade offs

The Model Y has the highest recommended tire pressure of any car I have ever driven. Higher tire pressure reduces rolling resistance, increases braking, and increases handling. But it comes at a cost of a harsh ride.

When I was young, I used to run my cars at 40 PSI. After years of rattling the teeth out of my head, I finally relented to recommended tire pressures in the mid 30s.

Most likely, the Tesla has a high recommended tire pressure principally to claim a higher range. If you lower pressure, it will definitely improve the ride quality, but it will also lower your range.

Reactions: John in LB
The Model Y has the highest recommended tire pressure of any car I have ever driven. Higher tire pressure reduces rolling resistance, increases braking, and increases handling. But it comes at a cost of a harsh ride.

When I was young, I used to run my cars at 40 PSI. After years of rattling the teeth out of my head, I finally relented to recommended tire pressures in the mid 30s.

Most likely, the Tesla has a high recommended tire pressure principally to claim a higher range. If you lower pressure, it will definitely improve the ride quality, but it will also lower your range.
Well actually the tires on the Model Y are XL tires the more weight a tire carries generally requires a higher pressure.

Reactions: jcanoe
Definitely a factor of higher weight, and fully loaded gross vehicle weight. You want the pressure to be adequate even when the car is 100% full of people and stuff.

But... let's be real, 34psi isn't going to hurt anyone, especially if you're driving with just 1 or 2 people in the car. Probably a minimal difference in tire wear, it's not grossly underinflated like 20-25psi would be. Plus, when you drive, the pressure increases to 35-37psi due to heat anyways.

Reactions: Sixth
I have not tried to lower my pressure, unlike many, I do not mind the ride of the Y. My question is for those who have lowered the pressure intentionally, is there a way to change the low pressure error message the car gives you, or do you just ignore it?

I don't follow. You are arguing that the weight of the MY is dictating tire pressure. Yet other cars of similar or greater weight have lower recommended tire pressures. That seems to me to indicate that weight is not necessarily a factor in the recommended pressure.
I think that instead of saying weight is not necessarily a factor (because I think the recommended tire pressure is determined by the weight and size of the car), stating that weight is not necessarily the only factor in the recommended pressure. Towing capacity, size of the tires, torque, etc. are also things that are considered.

I don't follow. You are arguing that the weight of the MY is dictating tire pressure. Yet other cars of similar or greater weight have lower recommended tire pressures. That seems to me to indicate that weight is not necessarily a factor in the recommended pressure.
I NEVER said anything about the weight of any car, I simply provided information about the type of tire and air pressure and their relations. You brought a tomato to grapefruit comparison into an informational discussion that had no bearing on the discussion at hand.

I NEVER said anything about the weight of any car, I simply provided information about the type of tire and air pressure and their relations. You brought a tomato to grapefruit comparison into an informational discussion that had no bearing on the discussion at hand.
I guess I misread your intent when you said that "the more weight a tire carries generally requires a higher pressure." I interpreted that to mean you believed that weight was more significant than range in Tesla's pressure recommendation. Weight may be a factor, but the plethora of similarly heavy cars with much lower pressure recommendations might indicate that weight is not as significant. What was your intent in that statement?
I think that instead of saying weight is not necessarily a factor (because I think the recommended tire pressure is determined by the weight and size of the car), stating that weight is not necessarily the only factor in the recommended pressure. Towing capacity, size of the tires, torque, etc. are also things that are considered.
I agree. There are many factors that influence a manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation - and they do not reveal them. Tesla's pressure seems to be a bit of an outlier among cars that weight about the same, are in the same size range, have comparable towing, etc. This is even more stark when you include ICE cars in the comparison. Consider minivans - those weight about the same as a Model Y (but do not share all the other attributes) and typical recommended pressure is in the low 30s. Those cars are often equipped with high weight load tires as well.

Reactions: samori01
I guess I misread your intent when you said that "the more weight a tire carries generally requires a higher pressure." I interpreted that to mean you believed that weight was more significant than range in Tesla's pressure recommendation. Weight may be a factor, but the plethora of similarly heavy cars with much lower pressure recommendations might indicate that weight is not as significant. What was your intent in that statement?

You Have got to be in law enforcement

Well I think the happy number is 36 cold. That way the dummy light isn’t illuminated yet still provides a soft ride. Like mentioned, it’s rated for max GVWR which I maybe have done once. If anything, the rear tires should be a few PSI higher to accommodate weight of rear passengers or trailer. For now, it’s my infant, dog, wife, and eMTB.

Per the consumption meter, loss
Of range due to low pressures is actually very low based on Tesla given figures. HVAC, preconditioning, and speed play a significant role in comparison.

Premature tire wear will be the worst part but I can’t wait to get rid of the stock 19” tires and stick something else on there. After 10k, there was only 5/32 remaining.

Well I think the happy number is 36 cold. That way the dummy light isn’t illuminated yet still provides a soft ride. Like mentioned, it’s rated for max GVWR which I maybe have done once. If anything, the rear tires should be a few PSI higher to accommodate weight of rear passengers or trailer. For now, it’s my infant, dog, wife, and eMTB.

Per the consumption meter, loss
Of range due to low pressures is actually very low based on Tesla given figures. HVAC, preconditioning, and speed play a significant role in comparison.

Premature tire wear will be the worst part but I can’t wait to get rid of the stock 19” tires and stick something else on there. After 10k, there was only 5/32 remaining.
Oh the dummy light is definitely illuminated

Well I think the happy number is 36 cold. That way the dummy light isn’t illuminated yet still provides a soft ride.
You are probably more than safe. (You could ask an expert at a tire shop to be sure, but my hunch is they would back you.)

For comparison, the Hyundai Ioniq 5 has similar weight and performance and almost identical tires and ratings. Hyundai's recommend pressure is 33 PSI.

Enjoy the car's acceleration at every light, and you will burn through that tread in no time. 😉

My 4680lb Ioniq5 AWD with 20” tires has 34psi on the door jamb sticker as the recommended tire pressure. I run 36psi just for a slight range tweak and find it quite comfortable even with the 20” tires. My 2018 Model 3 recommends 45psi (OEM tire max is 50psi) and I’ve reduced that to 42psi to rattle fewer teeth, but the M3 is still a comparatively harsh ride.

My 4680lb Ioniq5 AWD with 20” tires has 34psi on the door jamb sticker as the recommended tire pressure. I run 36psi just for a slight range tweak and find it quite comfortable even with the 20” tires. My 2018 Model 3 recommends 45psi (OEM tire max is 50psi) and I’ve reduced that to 42psi to rattle fewer teeth, but the M3 is still a comparatively harsh ride.
What is the weight rating of the iconiq? That’s more important than recommended PSI. Alas, I’ll be setting them at 36 or 37–which ever turns off the dummy light and go from there. It’s still a stiff body, harsh compression ride but the little bumps are much less harsh.

Is this with the stock Continental tires?

I liked the OEM tire and found the ride comfortable, although I did keep PSI at 38 year-round.

I now have the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3. The first gen P7 AS Plus were phenomenal on my Lexus and Model S. I have the AS Plus 3 at 38 PSI too and they rode great in the summer but am experiencing a stiffer ride during colder weather. This is the first time I consider the Model Y as riding rough. I have 8K miles on the Pirellis and am a little surprised at how harsh they suddenly became as we near winter.

Is this with the stock Continental tires?

I liked the OEM tire and found the ride comfortable, although I did keep PSI at 38 year-round.

I now have the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3. The first gen P7 AS Plus were phenomenal on my Lexus and Model S. I have the AS Plus 3 at 38 PSI too and they rode great in the summer but am experiencing a stiffer ride during colder weather. This is the first time I consider the Model Y as riding rough. I have 8K miles on the Pirellis and am a little surprised at how harsh they suddenly became as we near winter.
I had same experience of roughness after putting on several thousand miles on P7 tires.

This is with stock tires. Will bump them up this weekend to get the dummy light to turn off. Still no issues at 36 otherwise.

Debating what tires to go with next as these are wearing down and with new rains in the forecast, they hydroplane fairly easily now. Have the PSAS4 on other car but it doesn’t fee as grippy or quiet as many reviewers suggest it to be. Also different car/platform which contributes to it but with the flat handling AWD MY versus a heavy FWD sedan, the continentals feel more stable. Interesting how suspension and vehicle dynamics play a significant role.