Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower back pain and the Model X

Are the Model X seats and the ride itself comfortable for some one with lower back pain?

• Yes

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the market for a luxury SUV and the number one issue for me is a comfortable ride for some one with lots of lower back pain problems. I would love a model X but with those thin seats....
Can any of you current owners attest to the level of comfort the seats provide and the overall smoothness of the ride in a model X?
Much appreciated.

I've had my MS90D 2 weeks, with leather seats. I think the comfort is awesome, we've made 2 - 3 hour road trips so far and back. I always have some pain in my lower back, but it not something I medicate for. Just uncomfortable. The adjustable lumbar section of my seat pushes in just the right spot, for me, to relieve much of this discomfort. Previous cars did not help me.

Comfort levels and pain tolerance are so personal.......an extended test drive is a must for you.
What are you driving now as your comparative base?

I second this. I have a LOT of pain, from neck to hips. The Model S seat is the most comfortable seat I own. I drove a new X (my S is a year old) and it hurt my back.

That being said, it was probably all in the adjustment. The supports in the seat move up, out, in, down. They have to be right for me. When they are right, I can drive several hundred miles with no pain.

I prefer the seats in the loaner Model S vehicles I've had. They seem more comfortable mainly because the headrest in the Model X seats is way too low for me, even at the highest position. Also, it is ironic that I have more headroom in the Model S due to needing to have the seat back more than halfway, so the glass roof isn't above my head, unfortunately.

I have significant lower back pain, the X is one of the most comfortable I've ever driven. If I could have one wish it would be for the lumbar support to be able to adjust upward a little more than it does. But, truly wonderful.

I had a loaner S with the upgraded seats for almost 4 weeks, much less comfortable, and being so low slung it hurt a lot to get in and out.

Reactions: aesculus
Also, it is ironic that I have more headroom in the Model S due to needing to have the seat back more than halfway, so the glass roof isn't above my head, unfortunately.
I have to ask the stupid question: Is your seat height set high, and if so why? The headroom for me is huge, and I am 6' 3", but my seat is set fairly low.

I also wonder if you have a lot of ghosting issues with the X.

I don't have back pain, but drove the Model X almost 5000 miles in 6 weeks. Have to agree, those seats are very comfortable. You feel don't tired after driving 600 mile a day. Means seats are designed keeping comfort in mind. One of the best seats, I have experienced. The vehicle needs to charge every 2 hours or so. That makes you come out of the car and that makes to move your legs. May be that is one factor, it feels comfortable as you are not stuck to the seat for long hours... Nonetheless, the Model X seats are very well designed for comfort.

I have low back pain and neck pain not infrequently. In fact, I had to trade in a Range Rover Sport after only having it for a few months, because the angle of the headrest caused too much discomfort.

The X, once adjusted appropriately for you, is fantastic. Better than the S for me, because of the higher seating position and the ability to close the door without having to reach all the way out for it (I know. First world problems!) and the ability to enter and exit the car more easily. I've also got a Range Rover (full size, not Sport), which is comfortable, but for longer drives, the X is much, much, much better for me. I don't know if it's the firmness of the seats (white, PUP package) or the adjustments or the use of autopilot allowing my arms to be more relaxed, but it is definitely the best vehicle I have experienced in terms of not causing lower back pain, and in terms of stepping out of the car feeling just fine.

Reactions: FarmerDave
I have to ask the stupid question: Is your seat height set high, and if so why? The headroom for me is huge, and I am 6' 3", but my seat is set fairly low.
I also wonder if you have a lot of ghosting issues with the X.

My seat is at the lowest position. I don't have any ghosting issues. The headroom in the X would be great if my head was under the glass, but with the seat back I am below the steeply inclined headliner, giving me less headroom than I have in a Model S.

This is how far back I have my driver seat. Is yours back further? I have a 36" inseam.

The seat could go back further but this seems OK for me and gives most of the passengers behind me adequate room too.

20160613_141953 (Medium).jpg

I have significant lower back pain, the X is one of the most comfortable I've ever driven. If I could have one wish it would be for the lumbar support to be able to adjust upward a little more than it does. But, truly wonderful.

I had a loaner S with the upgraded seats for almost 4 weeks, much less comfortable, and being so low slung it hurt a lot to get in and out.

@pvogel +1 = I have sciatica and low back pain issues and the X is by far the most comfortable road trip car I have ever owned or driven. The seating height, multiple adjustments and design are fantastic, in addition to the ease of exit and entry. I've also driven several MS loaners, with various seats, and there is no comparison - the X is far better.

• Love
Reactions: FarmerDave