Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lower control arm replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if lowering springs voids the warranty for replacing lower control arms? My car is a 2019 model 3 performance with 15k miles. I've been hearing popping noises at low speeds for a while now. Recently I had the springs inspected by a shop who found the lower control arm bushings were worn and one cracked.

If Tesla won't fix under warranty, which I expect is the case, will they fix and charge me or turn me away? Maybe I can buy the parts and have someone else fix?

I made an appointment with Tesla to discuss, but just wondering if anyone has been in this situation.

The latest approach is... any suspension modification (even as simple as a poly bushing or an aftermarket endlink) and they deny the warranty on ALL suspensions and steering components AND blacklist the VIN with the same.

Tesla service has looked at my modified suspension. Coil overs, upper control arms, lower control arm bushings, camber and toe arms and I have no indication that they’ve done anything of the sort. Service manager did nothing but compliment it.

Why of course - me me me, anonymous no name always right end user of a mass produced econo Tesla.

Hint: Try SC, MS official policy. Sadly, the troops and bean counters do not care what Elon or Franz say regarding mods (and modding away). Of course YMMV - until it no longer does. Pay to play, as always.

Nothing, nada, ziltch. I dont work for Tesla (yet) and even if I did - wouldn't be sharing that here or anywhere on the interwebz.
Similar concept as the Service/Factory mode code that recycles each 24 hours and isnt disclosed to the general public.

Maybe your local SC can serve you a letter that outlines it if they are bold enough to put it on paper.

Meanwhile, keep us posted on any suspension warranty work you might need (for your sake, hope you don't need any) and how that works out for you.

Since I don’t have many factory suspension components on my car, it’s not really a concern of mine. However, if I reinstalled the OEM components I have no reason to believe that my car would have any less warranty coverage.

What did you do to your car and what service were you denied? I may be more inclined to listen if you at least had a story to go along with your policy assertions.

Reactions: Fossil Fool
Is 100% useless. The burden of proof will be on you to prove that your lowered ride height did not contribute to the bushing cracking (it did).
All they have to show is that the car in question has been modified with non-OEM spec parts, which it was. And the MM no longer applies, cause it's the law designed to let people use off-brand but OEM-spec parts, not aftermarket parts significantly different from OEM.

A good summary of what M-M really means when fighting Tesla. Same topic couple of posts down has a first-hand report on SC's policy on mods.