Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering Charge Remotely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! I’m a newb. First post

This question has probably come up before so apologies in advance. I’m currently on vacation for 1 week. The day I left I took a road trip that required a full charge. With everything I’ve heard about never leaving the battery at 100 unless when absolutely necessary, I’m concerned that I forgot to adjust the charge to my usual 80% before leaving. It’s been at 100% the last 2 days. I’ve just lowered the bar in the app but not sure if that will allow the battery to drain to that point or if I need to ask my neighbour to physically unplug the car? I’ve got a model 3. Thanks for your help!

Assuming you’re already at 100% SoC, the only realistic way to bring the charge down is to drive it. If it were me, and I trusted my neighbor, I’d ask him to go for a spin until the SoC is below 90%. Who knows? If he likes it you may get a referral.

Thanks for your quick response! I’d trust him to unplug it...unfortunately the spare key is with me. Seems like quite an oversight that one could raise the bar but not lower it when need be. Hopefully that will come in a future update.

Update...it’s gone down by 1km in the last hour. Maybe lowering the bar does halt the charge temporarily? Will keep u posted.

Lower the bar will keep the car from charging, if SoC is higher than where you set the bar at. What you really want, as you have pointed out, is to drain the battery while the car is sitting. Like was suggested, you can turn on the HVAC system, and I would turn sentry mode on (assuming it’s not already on), that will also help drain your battery quicker.

Hey everyone! I’m a newb. First post

This question has probably come up before so apologies in advance. I’m currently on vacation for 1 week. The day I left I took a road trip that required a full charge. With everything I’ve heard about never leaving the battery at 100 unless when absolutely necessary, I’m concerned that I forgot to adjust the charge to my usual 80% before leaving. It’s been at 100% the last 2 days. I’ve just lowered the bar in the app but not sure if that will allow the battery to drain to that point or if I need to ask my neighbour to physically unplug the car? I’ve got a model 3. Thanks for your help!

Don't worry about it. 1 week isn't going to do any damage. All the FUD about this is from a study that had batteries plugged in for 1 year!
Enjoy your trip.