Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MountainPass responded on similar thread on M3OC suggesting they used a Mastercraft socket thats 17.3mm dia. Looks like the thinnest so far on either thread without grinding. Only problem is, they are difficult to fine online.. might be hard to get a hold of.

Snap-On also makes a thin-wall 13mm that's 17.6mm and might be more readily available.

Update: I scoured Amazon and found a 13mm 3-pack which states its "thickness = .6in" or ~15.25 mm. I contacted the seller to see if they can confirm the diameter and will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/13mm-Socket-Pack-Drive-Shallow/dp/B07BQJX3N8/

I'll be visiting the machinist tomorrow to get the sockets I obtained turned down on a lathe. Give us a shout if you'd like one! It's not just for people who bought our coilovers:cool:

Reactions: mmccking
I'll be visiting the machinist tomorrow to get the sockets I obtained turned down on a lathe. Give us a shout if you'd like one! It's not just for people who bought our coilovers:cool:

Very generous of you, thanks MP!

As luck would have it, I had a shallow wall 13mm laying around in my old toolset. I used a drill-to-socket adapter and ground it down with some 60 grit. It should work fine but if I am in a pinch I will definitely let you know!

For anyone worried about 'grinding', it's maybe a 3-10 on the difficulty scale. If you have a drill and the above adapter (and some course sandpaper) just pickup any shallow wall 13mm socket. It literally took 5 minutes of spinning the bit while holding sandpaper wrapped around it to get the desired effect ~17.5mm.

'Grinding' is such a scary word; it's a piece of cake!

Very generous of you, thanks MP!

As luck would have it, I had a shallow wall 13mm laying around in my old toolset. I used a drill-to-socket adapter and ground it down with some 60 grit. It should work fine but if I am in a pinch I will definitely let you know!

For anyone worried about 'grinding', it's maybe a 3-10 on the difficulty scale. If you have a drill and the above adapter (and some course sandpaper) just pickup any shallow wall 13mm socket. It literally took 5 minutes of spinning the bit while holding sandpaper wrapped around it to get the desired effect ~17.5mm.

'Grinding' is such a scary word; it's a piece of cake!
Thanks R1Fast, that is a great solution using household tools! I suppose it would even be possible to do it by hand, just watch your favourite TV show while you do it :p

Back to original topic - Eibach springs.

Anyone else install the Eibachs? If so please share pics and your impressions of the springs. Ride, handling, speedbump clearance etc.

People that have posted initial impressions, please also chime in with longer term feedback.

These appear to be the least expensive spring option currently and manufactured by a company with a lot of experience so seems like a sensible buy.

Reactions: Cricket88
Back to original topic - Eibach springs.

Anyone else install the Eibachs? If so please share pics and your impressions of the springs. Ride, handling, speedbump clearance etc.

People that have posted initial impressions, please also chime in with longer term feedback.

These appear to be the least expensive spring option currently and manufactured by a company with a lot of experience so seems like a sensible buy.

I have them installed. They're just the right height. I have to be really careful driving over my driveway (I live in a condo complex with a subterranean garage though). Ride is definitely more planted and you feel the road more (in a good way I think). I haven't had any complaints from passengers.

Reactions: tracksyde
Thanks Atlas310. Would love to see some pics if you have a chance.
Before and after.
Attach15463_20180928_150942.jpg

are local shops just grinding the holes larger? I’m in Orange County... if they are just grinding the access holes larger I’d want to know if a thin walled socket is still an option.

NO, PROFESSIONAL SHOPS ARE NOT grinding down the holes. It is not necessary. Why would you create a permanent tamper of the car? That is definitely one way to void your suspension warranty since you are permanently creating signs of tampering.

For you DIY’ers out there, please do yourselves a favor and DO NOT Grind down the holes. You also DO NOT need a thin walled socket.

All you need to do is remove the two 15mm bolts and 2 13mm bolts and remove the entire strut assembly along with the top control arm (again as a complete assembly).

It doesn’t take any additional time or effort for this. While I applaud the diy efforts, please research beforehand.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the approximate diameter of the bumpstops? Although it's overkill I'd like to make a small template to help with precise trimming of the bumpstops. Basically a tube slightly larger than the bumpstops with slots at 20mm and 25mm to guide a razor blade.

Does anyone know the approximate diameter of the bumpstops? Although it's overkill I'd like to make a small template to help with precise trimming of the bumpstops. Basically a tube slightly larger than the bumpstops with slots at 20mm and 25mm to guide a razor blade.

Just follow this and cut off the first “lobe”. No need to overthink it!

PS. Tsportline guys, please do yourselves a favor and follow the same instructions. Your car and ride quality will thank you!

10D5F84D-0DAA-4061-B3C7-B1F5E86F3AFB.jpeg

Lowered my Model 3 last week....the ride is very nice....not bumpy at all...like stock to me...but much better. Thanks AntSpec.

Also ordered a set of Bloxsport spacers...will be installing 25mm front and 30mm rears.

Will also be having my calipers painted this weekend too.

Thanks to AntSpec purchased and had them installed for me...they located in Fountain Valley.

Attachments

• 20181010_165131.jpg
    20181010_165131.jpg
    389.1 KB · Views: 549
  • 20181016_193746.jpg
    20181016_193746.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 534
  • 20181016_193802.jpg
    20181016_193802.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 525
Lowered my Model 3 last week....the ride is very nice....not bumpy at all...like stock to me...but much better. Thanks AntSpec.

Also ordered a set of Bloxsport spacers...will be installing 25mm front and 30mm rears.

Will also be having my calipers painted this weekend too.

Thanks to AntSpec purchased and had them installed for me...they located in Fountain Valley.

Lowered with Eibachs.....

• Informative
Here is mine lowered on Eibach springs. I think they look perfect - not too low but enough to eliminate some of the wheel well gap. The shop cut one of the sections of the bump stop as per instructions. They also installed the front springs by removing the entire strut assembly including the upper control arms.

Some driving impressions after 2 weeks and over 1200 miles:

I drive about 110 miles a day round trip on my commute and it's mainly freeway. The ride is definitely bumpier and bouncier than stock. At times, the car feels a bit twitchy at high speeds and when small bumps or road imperfections are present. Nothing uncontrollable but I feel it. I have not bottomed out on the bump stops yet but I also don't go looking for huge dips to test this. In the city, the car has more noise and is more harsh compared to stock. Also seems like there is more tire noise both on and off the freeway. This may get better after an alignment. I have not done that yet. I have gone over speed bumps and the car able to clear them with no issues. I do approach them a little slower but I go straight into them without having to angle the car. Haven't encountered any crazy big speed bumps yet though so we'll have to see. I am also able to get up my driveway without problem. No new squeaks or rattles after Eibach spring installs so that's a good sign

Just an FYI, I had driven the car 14k miles before I had the springs installed so I'm pretty familiar with the stock suspension's feel and handling. The ride does not feel stock after the spring install but not in a bad way. I expected some NVH going into this so it was not a shocker to me that the lowered suspension would feel different. I've driven lowered cars before and this is pretty tame. If you asked me if I'd do it all over again, my answer would be a definite yes.

Sorry, I forgot to take a before picture.
IMG_8643.jpg

• Informative