Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used a spring compressor to remove the front springs from the struts after taking out the entire front upper A-arm and top pillow mount.

I didn't take much pictures under the car, more of the parts once removed.

Now that I have done it once, its actually not too hard, the front took 3 hrs since we took our time to make sure everything was aligned. The rear was really easy and only took an 1 hr, no spring compression required at all. View attachment 321441 View attachment 321442 View attachment 321443
You have a pretty nice compressor. I'm going to get Macpherson Compressor

Update: Sorry, no pics to share but the drop after my Eibach springs install is surprisingly less than I expected at 1.1" in front and 1.0" in the rear. Measured after only 40 miles of driving so I expect those numbers might increase a bit. I think it looks great...1.5" of gap in the front wheel well and 1.25" in the rear. If it settles a bit more I won't complain. Ride does seem a tad firmer but not unpleasant at all. Fresh pics in the morning.

How did you measure the drop? from the top of the wheel well to the ground, like Who's TM3?

Your drop is more in line with what I was expecting.

• Informative
Reactions: Rlee21
Has anyone put spacers on the T-Sportline wheels?

From their spec sheet it looks like the T-Sportline wheel offset is +35, whereas the stock wheels are +40.

I believe this means that the T-Sportline wheels are +5mm further out to begin with. Thus, 15mm spacers on T-Sportlines would act like +20mm spacers on stock wheels. Correct?

And from other comments, +20mm on the front wheels be pushing right to the edge of the fender ...

I'm also curious how deep the pocket is on the T-Sportlines, to contain the stock wheel bolts when using a spacer...

Thanks.

Reactions: dgaultiere
How did you measure the drop? from the top of the wheel well to the ground, like Who's TM3?

Your drop is more in line with what I was expecting.

Yes, measured from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Gap is two fingers up front vs one and a half in back but I suspect it may settle a bit more. I wasn't going for the obviously lowered look...just a tighter fit for my 19's with minimal compromising of the ride and clearances. Looks much more like the TSportlines rather than the UP moderates. Overall I'm loving the look from all angles and don't think spacers are necessary...opinions?

side.jpg
rear angle.jpg
front close.jpg
rear close.jpg

Looks awesome!

I was going to go with the UP Moderates but the back seemed a little lower than I would've liked and it did seem to lower a bit more than I was looking for.. the TSportlines seemed like a good fit.. but the Eibachs look like they're right in the same ball park visually. Your measurements were what I was hoping for.. I'm just wondering about the discrepancy between what you (and Eibach themselves) measured vs what Who's TM3 measured.

Looks awesome!

I was going to go with the UP Moderates but the back seemed a little lower than I would've liked and it did seem to lower a bit more than I was looking for.. the TSportlines seemed like a good fit.. but the Eibachs look like they're right in the same ball park visually. Your measurements were what I was hoping for.. I'm just wondering about the discrepancy between what you (and Eibach themselves) measured vs what Who's TM3 measured.

Thanks...Eibach's pictures are certainly better than my phone pics!

I wonder about the drop discrepancy as well. I guess we'll know soon enough as more Eibach equipped M3s get measured. Maybe my springs aren't settled completely yet even though Eibach claims to do an thorough road test with lots of speed bumps before attempting to do the alignment. You can bet I'll be remeasuring again after more time and miles have passed.

EIBACH TESLA MODEL 3 2.jpg

Just mounted new Tsportline 20" TST wheels with the Tsportline springs. I'm a happy customer!
Sweet combination! Your 20" TSportlines were definitely worth the wait. I was very tempted to go 20's over 19's but had too many bad experiences (both monetarily and ride related) with my H&R lowered Jetta SportWagen over 135k miles. The wife was satisfied with the 18's minus Aero caps and excessive wheel well gap (and not spending more money, of course) so we "compromised". She totally on board with the new look and we both can't wait to push it a bit on some winding roads! I'm thinking a fall road trip to Carmel now that Hwy 1 through Big Sur is open again.

With so many M3s already roaming the streets here in the Orange County/LA area...and many more to come...the more aggressive look of the springs/wheels combo stands out from the "crowd". No regrets!

Hi. Been reading through this thread and am thinking about lowering my M3 w/ 19” TSportline wheels with the Tsportline springs. Was just wondering if those w/ the Tsportline springs are having any trouble with entering/exiting parking lots, parking spaces, speed bumps, etc. Any problems scraping/hitting the lower front bumper? Thanks for your feedback!

Oh BTW, here’s how it looks now. Got the chrome delete, 19” TST wheels, and tinted all around. Really thinking about lowering it now w/ the 1” Tsportline springs as well.

View attachment 322625

View attachment 322626

Looking good. I’m on 20s and have not encountered any scrapping and I’ve been on a couple of very steep driveways.
What’s that weird thing on the lower part of your driver side headlights?

Has anyone seen lowering springs for the Performance version yet?

Unplugged Performance has the moderate springs (1.5") drop. Mountain Pass Performance has pre-orders available for sports ($2550) and comfort ($1820) coilovers. Both shipping late this year.

I don't see any shocks on sale.

I'm kinda worried about the ride/sending my shocks to hell if I went with springs only. Maybe I'll spring for some coils?

Yes, measured from the top of the wheel well to the ground. Gap is two fingers up front vs one and a half in back but I suspect it may settle a bit more. I wasn't going for the obviously lowered look...just a tighter fit for my 19's with minimal compromising of the ride and clearances. Looks much more like the TSportlines rather than the UP moderates. Overall I'm loving the look from all angles and don't think spacers are necessary...opinions?

I recognize this kuldesak! I think I have actually seen your car around town. Cool to see you on here!

Car looks good with the meaty tires and drop you got going on.

Unplugged Performance has the moderate springs (1.5") drop. Mountain Pass Performance has pre-orders available for sports ($2550) and comfort ($1820) coilovers. Both shipping late this year.

I don't see any shocks on sale.

I'm kinda worried about the ride/sending my shocks to hell if I went with springs only. Maybe I'll spring for some coils?
Alert!!!

I just sat in a performance Model 3 yesterday. and there is no way I'm dropping it down. Elon was correct....its already dropped down enough with the 20 inch wheels. It looks perfect.

• Disagree
Reactions: dgaultiere
I swear, multicoat red is better every time I see it.
Oh BTW, here’s how it looks now. Got the chrome delete, 19” TST wheels, and tinted all around. Really thinking about lowering it now w/ the 1” Tsportline springs as well.

View attachment 322625

View attachment 322626

Looks really nice! Is that satin black chrome delete and satin rims? Also wondering what is that in your driver side headlight like someone else asked?