Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm so 1.5” in the front and 1 7/16” in the rear.

And that’s before any settling.. it seems Eibach May be expecting a 1.2” drop on the v1 suspension (pre Jan 2018).

Yup, sounds like the Eibachs are too much of a drop for me, similar to the UP moderate springs.

So leaning Tsport still, unless someone has feedback on the UP milds?

Appreciate everyone sharing their experiences and pics though.

Anything aftermarket can void the warranty for that specific part if it was deemed the culprit of the breakdown. So if your window or door handles stop working, no the lowering springs won’t void that.
If you stiffen up the car you get into slippery territory. Was it excessive, repeated unabsorbed shocks that caused that window to fail?

It looks perfect for me. Did you take any pics/video when swapped the springs? What did you use for Spring compression?

I used a spring compressor to remove the front springs from the struts after taking out the entire front upper A-arm and top pillow mount.

I didn't take much pictures under the car, more of the parts once removed.

Now that I have done it once, its actually not too hard, the front took 3 hrs since we took our time to make sure everything was aligned. The rear was really easy and only took an 1 hr, no spring compression required at all.
IMG_1171.JPG
IMG_1173.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG

Installed the Eibach springs this morning, job took about 4.5-5hrs including prep and cleanup. Was done with suspension in about 4hrs.

So Eibach quoting it to be a 4hr job was pretty accurate which included alignment too, so not too bad. Still gotta take the car in to get an alignment to make sure the toe is good so I don't cause any early wear on the tires.

The front went from 29 1/8in to 27 5/8in.

The back went from 28 1/2in to 27 1/16in.

The gap in the front is about one and a half finger and the back is just about 1 finger. So even with the Eibach springs the rear is just a bit lower than the front. As in the closeup pics to show how much of a gap is left, the wheels are 19x8.8/19x9.5 (F/R) VMR V801 (Anthracite Metalic) and the tires are 245/40-19 275/35-19.

View attachment 321235 View attachment 321236 View attachment 321237
Looks great!

Got a pic further back like on the road? How is the ride over stock springs?

I installed some Eibach pro lowering springs on a EK Honda, loved the handling.

I agree on the great look...and congrats on doing it yourself and saving some cash! I have to say I'm a bit surprised with the measured drop closer to the UP springs 1.5". I'm scheduled for noon today at Eibach's HQ in Corona so I might be the first "factory" install to report in. They told me the same people who developed the M3 springs will be doing the install so I'll question the discrepancy. After some test driving and speed bump work to settle the springs they will do the alignment the same day. Is this too soon?

My car (with the 245/40-19 rubber all around) still measured close to yours with the front a bit lower at 28 7/8" and the rear a hair under 28 1/2". I'll report the new measurements by tomorrow morning. I can live with the lower look but I sure hope it doesn't settle and more than 1.5". The TSportline springs seemed to settle in closer to 1.2" rather than the claimed 1.0". Do the UP springs settle more as well? They do look lower to me. Its amazing how even a fraction of an inch can be so obvious to the eye.

Will the upcoming air suspension on the lowest setting be a good alternative to lowering the car with springs? I'm considering holding off on ordering till next year for air suspension.
There are a couple of threads on TMC about this. At this time all we have to compare to is Model S. As I recall, the settings on the S are HIGH (+ .75"), STANDARD (+0"), LOW (- .75"). and SUPER LOW (- 1.5"). The big advantage is that you can set the SAS with either manually or automatic GPS for specific locations, like my driveway ramp, from the U.I.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and rluciano
There are a couple of threads on TMC about this. At this time all we have to compare to is Model S. As I recall, the settings on the S are HIGH (+ .75"), STANDARD (+0"), LOW (- .75"). and SUPER LOW (- 1.5"). The big advantage is that you can set the SAS with either manually or automatic GPS for specific locations, like my driveway ramp, from the U.I.
Thanks. I didn't realize there was a Super Low setting?? From my research all I've seen is a Low setting which was -0.79".

• Informative
Reactions: Joby619
My Model Ss have had very high, high, standard and low. Standard is a bit lower than the coils that were offered at the time I got the car.
Thank you, I was not remembering quite right. Here is a screen shot of the MS U.I. with SAS:

SAS will lower and also raise the suspension height. That is one of the main selling points for SAS is to improve clearance for driveways, etc. Yes, it will lower (if you chose to) at highway speeds to improve aerodynamic efficiencies.

This is the exact wording from the website:
"Experience superior handling, efficiency, and ride comfort. Adjust the height of your Model S. Smart Air Suspension also utilizes the GPS of your car to recognize the location of past adjustments to suspension height and automatically updates when you revisit specific locations, such as a steep driveway."

And here is the actual in-car setting page:
Screen-Shot-2014-05-24-at-2.28.11-PM.jpg

The ground clearance for the model 3 is the same as for the MS, 5.5" If we presume SAS will work the same on the model 3 as the MS. then the settings are:
  • Very High 6.3" (+ .8")
  • High ~ 5.9" (+ .4")
  • Normal 5.5" (+ 0")
  • Low 4.6" (- .9")

Found the spec on Tesla support page: Model S Specifications and also on the web site toward the bottom: Model S | Tesla
  • Clearance 5.3"(Dual Motor)*, 5.5"(RWD)*
    With air suspension 4.6" - 6.3"
So the "Very High" setting appears to only give less than an inch with a single RWD motor. I also think the low point of the undercarriage is somewhere farther under the car. I also wonder if the spec accounts for Tesla adding undercarriage protection for the battery case?

Looks great!

Got a pic further back like on the road? How is the ride over stock springs?

I installed some Eibach pro lowering springs on a EK Honda, loved the handling.

The ride is just a little stiffer and some of the minor rear vibration noise I have has been increased due to the stiffer ride. But overall its still a comfortable ride. Now I got to locate what is loose in the rear passenger side of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Asymmetry
I agree on the great look...and congrats on doing it yourself and saving some cash! I have to say I'm a bit surprised with the measured drop closer to the UP springs 1.5". I'm scheduled for noon today at Eibach's HQ in Corona so I might be the first "factory" install to report in. They told me the same people who developed the M3 springs will be doing the install so I'll question the discrepancy. After some test driving and speed bump work to settle the springs they will do the alignment the same day. Is this too soon?

My car (with the 245/40-19 rubber all around) still measured close to yours with the front a bit lower at 28 7/8" and the rear a hair under 28 1/2". I'll report the new measurements by tomorrow morning. I can live with the lower look but I sure hope it doesn't settle and more than 1.5". The TSportline springs seemed to settle in closer to 1.2" rather than the claimed 1.0". Do the UP springs settle more as well? They do look lower to me. Its amazing how even a fraction of an inch can be so obvious to the eye.

I actually tried to get an alignment on Sunday at Firestone but they said they couldn't do it because their computer for the alignment machine did not have the specs for the 2018 Model 3 but they did have the 2017 but did not want to do it. So I still haven't done the alignment but so far it seems like the car still drives straight at freeway speeds but at 30-40 mph it does track right a little bit but not too bad. Still will want to do the alignment to correct the toe to reduce excessive wear on the new tires.

I was going to try and calling Eibach today to verify if they scrag their springs to reduce the potential of sagging in the future and also see if they would do an alignment of my car even though I they did not install the springs.

Reactions: RBowen
My car (with the 245/40-19 rubber all around) still measured close to yours with the front a bit lower at 28 7/8" and the rear a hair under 28 1/2".
Update: Sorry, no pics to share but the drop after my Eibach springs install is surprisingly less than I expected at 1.1" in front and 1.0" in the rear. Measured after only 40 miles of driving so I expect those numbers might increase a bit. I think it looks great...1.5" of gap in the front wheel well and 1.25" in the rear. If it settles a bit more I won't complain. Ride does seem a tad firmer but not unpleasant at all. Fresh pics in the morning.

Update: Sorry, no pics to share but the drop after my Eibach springs install is surprisingly less than I expected at 1.1" in front and 1.0" in the rear. Measured after only 40 miles of driving so I expect those numbers might increase a bit. I think it looks great...1.5" of gap in the front wheel well and 1.25" in the rear. If it settles a bit more I won't complain. Ride does seem a tad firmer but not unpleasant at all. Fresh pics in the morning.

Can you tell me how much finger gap you have front and rear?