Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowering the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am in for a M3 long range AWD.
I am looking for springs to lower it and I saw the Eibach 1.2 inch drop.
But they say it is only availble for RDW and not AWD.

But, I assume it is because of the 200 pounds more weight of the AWD I guess?
I mean, I assume they do fit under the car right?

In that case I can just order the Eibach set because then the front will be a little extra lower due to the extra motor in the front.
Just a little more lower on the front looks good in my opion.
And after all, a gas car has also different weights with an empty fuel tank or a full one. (100-150 pounds)

Here is a picture of my mine with the moderate Unplugged Performance Springs.

Attachments

• moderate.jpg
    moderate.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 533
Reactions: rlb4
Have any of you DIYd this successfully on the AWD Model 3 suspension?

The youtube videos I found say to apply force to the control arm to lift the strut over and out, but that seems to only work on the RWD suspension.

The bottom of the strut has been redesigned on the AWD with a long collar... and there simply isnt room to maneuver the strut over the CV axle let alone the control arm.

Do I need to pull the rest of the linkage to get the front shocks out? It would help if there were intructions available for the AWD but I haven't had any luck finding them yet.

AWD: v2.PNG

RWD: v1.PNG

Last edited:
Update: figured this out for the AWD and wanted to share some tips for anyone Performance/AWD owners that want to DIY this job.

1. The installation manual for the UP springs can be found here

2. Also, these instructions (and really any other guides I found) don't mention detaching the brake hose and regenerative brake line mounts. Without doing this you will apply unnecessary force to both lines when applying force to the lower control arm when removing the shock. Remove both the bolt and upper and lower retaining clips first. It will also give you more room to maneuver the shock out.
20190126_130421.jpg 20190126_130436.jpg 20190126_130443.jpg

3. I still had trouble getting the shock out and over the cv axle even with the upper arm detached. What finally worked was using a racheting tie down to hold the base of the upper control arm out of the way while I applied force to the lower control arm to make enough room.
20190126_123959.jpg 20190126_123954.jpg 20190126_124019.jpg

Here is a better shot showing the AWD lower collar vs the RWD lower collar on the front shock for reference

AWD:
20190126_124623.jpg
RWD:
v1.PNG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Thomas Edison