TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Lowering the price of 60kWh to 75kWh upgrade?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Mr So Chill, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Mr So Chill

Mr So Chill Member

• Funny x 1
  2. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

If it happens, that would be good. For those who are interested, it looks like they have about one week to order the Model S 60 at the current price.

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

No. But it will probably reduce the cost for owners that purchase under the new pricing program. (I suspect this is part of why Tesla moved the upgrade from the store site to the My Tesla site so that they could offer individual prices depending on your situation.)

4. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 17.32.6ca28227

Good question. When I heard about the upcoming $2000 price increase, I figured it was an effort to recover some of the costs of the 75 kWh battery and to also make the price of the 60 closer to that of the 75. That might encourage some buyers to just go ahead and change their order to a 75. I assumed that the upgrade price to go from 60 to 75 would be lowered accordingly but I guess we don't have any confirmation of that yet.

5. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    It seems likely to me that Tesla will lower the upgrade price, as $8500 seems steep for an additional 15 kWh. That's $566/kWh!

Charging $6500, even to current owners, may significantly increase the number of 60 kWh owners who choose to upgrade and thus increase revenue.

• Like x 1
  6. NAVALARCHITECT

I just ordered a 75...wondering if I should change it to 60.

7. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I doubt that they will lower it but if they do, I am really considering upgrading it! (after delivery $7000+tax?)

8. Reeler

Reeler 7th Year of Pure EV

I tried that an it was impossible 7 months ago. Even with the $500 change fee and my car scheduled for delivery in 8 months it could not be done. I bet if you wanted to upgrade, that would be no problem.

9. NAVALARCHITECT

I am still in my 7 day window of editing the order.

10. Mr So Chill

Mr So Chill Member

i originally ordered a 70, then downgraded to a 60 so that I could use the rebate money to upgrade. I am now upgraded to the full 75kWh and to me it is not worth the price. I went from a full charge at 208 rated miles to 243 rated miles for $9540 dollars. Realistically I've gained about 25 extra miles on road trips.

11. justg0

justg0 Member

I think that's the reason why Tesla is raising the price for 60 model. Since you can 100% charge 60, the difference between the two is not as much as it is stated, on a daily basis. But having the ability to 100% charge the 75 when needed is what you will pay for.