Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lowest price Model S yet in Oz? MY2016 60D for $67K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you see that it was a repairable write off? Also interesting that the description says 19” but the pic is definitely 21”. Colour is described as silver but looks more like a Matt black - might be just the pic. Pretty sure that the 60 didn’t get red calipers either.

Looks like I wasn't the only person who's attention this ad sparked. I contacted the seller to find out the story.

Apparently he "got paid out from insurance and they gave him the option to keep the car for an amount less the pay out or just the money, the damage was so minimal and the price they offered it to me for was well worth it , why I can sell it so cheap but still ahead" He provided a couple of low res photos of the damage and noted... "a lower control arm and fender were replaced". Car still has full warranty etc.

So yeah, as Vegas above put it..... could be a case of too good to be true with that price. What would you do to be confident that you're not buying a lemon?

Where do you see that it was a repairable write off? Also interesting that the description says 19” but the pic is definitely 21”. Colour is described as silver but looks more like a Matt black - might be just the pic. Pretty sure that the 60 didn’t get red calipers either.

It has a wrap over the paint. Cheaper than repainting.

Here's the before photos. No wrap on it originally and look at the front wheel. Even after a repair, would you buy this?
Screenshot_20181215-102032.jpg

Hey jpleaner, I can understand how tempting this would be, if it could be repaired to manufacturer's standards and warranty was continued.

I'd be comfortable buying this car if:

(a) The repairs were done by Telsa, and the body work by an authorised Telsa partner
(b) I had a favourable pre-purchase inspection done by Telsa;
(c) Confirmation from Telsa that full warranty would still apply to the vehicle.
(d) I inspected the car without the wrap, or saw detailed photos of the vehicle before/as it was being wrapped, otherwise it's like buying a car that's just been resprayed. There could be undetectable cosmetic damage under the wrap - maybe that's why the wrap was applied.

I'd be very cautious, but if the above 4 points were satisfied - I'd buy it in a heartbeat, you'll never regret owning a Tesla.

Good luck making a decision.

That's for the great reply Vegas. I think I'll put on the sensible cap on for now and hang onto my Model 3 reservation. Let's see what the price of the Model 3 ends up at. Otherwise I'm guessing there will be a lot model Model S on carsales.com.au when the 3 is released.

Here's the before photos. No wrap on it originally and look at the front wheel. Even after a repair, would you buy this? View attachment 361047

A member on the TOCA Facebook page has pointed out, that the car for sale and the photos of the car with damage have different plates, and a quick VICRoads check on the 2 rego plates lists them as having different VIN's, with the damaged one being cancelled.
????????