Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD getting a new battery chemistry for 2023?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also convinced that this change is the introduction of thf LG 5L 79kWh Pack in the north American market.
Just seems like a big change in range (even 78 vs 82 would give 336). Maybe they also used a slightly smaller scale factor because it did worse in the cold UDDS, so in combination with less energy that brought it to 333. Or they voluntarily reduced the range for some reason in conjunction with switch to LG.

Data will show up eventually. Probably within three months.

Just seems like a big change in range (even 78 vs 82 would give 336). Maybe they also used a slightly smaller scale factor because it did worse in the cold UDDS, so in combination with less energy that brought it to 333. Or they voluntarily reduced the range for some reason in conjunction with switch to LG.

Data will show up eventually. Probably within three months.

(358 / 82) x 78 is 340, so not even that in my calc.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The 4680 cells seem to use NMC, which give a lower capacity than NCA.

The AWD Y in us use the structural pack with 4680 and has clearly lower range.

As it seems, a change to LG M50 in the same pack as EU would change the range like it did in the M3P that was in the same config with both packs, 567km vs 547 km WLTP. It reflects the difference quite well between the pana 82.1kWh and the LG 78.8.

Is it possible that the refreshed highland Model 3 get a 4680 structural pack and they start reducing the EPA so people get used to the new lower number? Or maybe use a nonstructural pack with 4680?

At some point they probably would like to reduge the number of different cells ?

The 4680 cells seem to use NMC, which give a lower capacity than NCA.

The AWD Y in us use the structural pack with 4680 and has clearly lower range.

As it seems, a change to LG M50 in the same pack as EU would change the range like it did in the M3P that was in the same config with both packs, 567km vs 547 km WLTP. It reflects the difference quite well between the pana 82.1kWh and the LG 78.8.

Is it possible that the refreshed highland Model 3 get a 4680 structural pack and they start reducing the EPA so people get used to the new lower number? Or maybe use a nonstructural pack with 4680?

At some point they probably would like to reduge the number of different cells ?
I think they are going to need every last drop of 4680s for Cybertruck. 2170 cell supply is well established, so I expect Highland to continue with 2170s for P and LR trims.