Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD... it's back? (and cheaper?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’m gonna stick to the P-
The only reason I was considering the P+ was for the acceleration.
Having that and still the better range and more comfortable (and cheaper!) tyres still seems like the perfect combination to me!
Is it worth asking about the 18" wheels they are now being offered on P+ in US? Or get some after market ones using the price differential you would seem to save on P+

Having that and still the better range and more comfortable (and cheaper!) tyres still seems like the perfect combination to me!

I'm in the same position, but think on this: It's quite likely that in a few months time Tesla will offer an upgrade to P- spec for say £1000 as it doesn't cost them anything so I might switch to an AWD.

I just upgraded online in my account to P+, which was actually £900 cheaper than the P- I had on order (in white). I would have preferred the 18" wheels for ride quality and road noise, but I can always buy a set of aftermarket wheels if I think the ride is too harsh/noisy on 20". Probably end up with a winter and summer set.

Reactions: Roy W.
I'm in the same position, but think on this: It's quite likely that in a few months time Tesla will offer an upgrade to P- spec for say £1000 as it doesn't cost them anything so I might switch to an AWD.

I like your plan, but too much of a gamble for me. Tesla have historically been very erratic on aftersales upgrades. I do wonder if they might re-introduce the P- option soon though at an intermediate price point between the two. It would make sense, especially if a lot of people now downgrade their P- order to LR AWD. But I expect in reality they have a boat load of P+ spec cars coming which they are keen to sell - hence the new bargain price.

I've just noticed on my new order agreement, that they have itemised the now inclusive performance upgrade package at a cost of £2,050 so that's what the reduction would likely be if they decide to offer a P- again.

Last edited:
I just upgraded online in my account to P+, which was actually £900 cheaper than the P- I had on order (in white). I would have preferred the 18" wheels for ride quality and road noise, but I can always buy a set of aftermarket wheels if I think the ride is too harsh/noisy on 20". Probably end up with a winter and summer set.
Can you though? I thought the "performance brakes" comprised bigger disks and calipers that required bigger wheels? don't know about 19s but pretty sure the 18s will not fit

Can you though? I thought the "performance brakes" comprised bigger disks and calipers that required bigger wheels? don't know about 19s but pretty sure the 18s will not fit

I must admit I haven't fully looked into that yet, but I thought there were some 18" aftermarket wheels that would fit and possibly a factory version, but I need to check properly.

Edit: A very quick look suggests that the stock 18" aero wheels won't fit, but the 19" sport wheels will fit and so will a few nice aftermarket 18" options. I'll probably run the 20" as a summer set and then look at a second winter set on 18 or 19s.

Last edited:
Can't sleep. Jet Lag.

Trying to work out whether to wait for delivery of the LR AWD i've already ordered (1st May order, Cash, no VIN) - or move to a P- using LeasePlan - which is looking more tempting since the announcement about BIK for the next 3 years.

And the Tesla UK store page has the LR AWD model back - with a new price, and the P- model has gone... and it also looks like the SR+ is cheaper.

SR+ £36,490 (was this £38,000?)
LR AWD £45,490 (down from £47,050)
Performance £49,140

So even with the FSD price increase - the model I've ordered is £660 cheaper.

Looks like they've taken the decison about P- out of my hands. Have I missed something?

I have LR AWD 19 inch alloys blue fsd on order.Ordered 1.5.19 at 10am Reservation July 2017.
Just rung tesla and straight through !!!!
i explained car dropped £2110 in price (inc.) alloys so £2110 - £1450 19 inch alloys is £660 effective drop in price.......
They are not dropping price - told me to drop 19 inch alloys instead -and take discount- really strange company this........
Car cost less now and i have not received it !

Reactions: Rooster6655
I have LR AWD 19 inch alloys blue fsd on order.Ordered 1.5.19 at 10am Reservation July 2017.
Just rung tesla and straight through !!!!
i explained car dropped £2110 in price (inc.) alloys so £2110 - £1450 19 inch alloys is £660 effective drop in price.......
They are not dropping price - told me to drop 19 inch alloys instead -and take discount- really strange company this........
Car cost less now and i have not received it !

Are you sure? Your spec is very similar to mine. I worked out the current price for the same configuration as mine to be £90 more expensive. I guess the difference between us is the colour and Black is now a cost option. Yeah, that's it.

At least you have the 19" wheels which are just not available as an option (currently). Perhaps you like the 18" Aero wheels, but owners report the 19" wheels to ride nicely and are not as easy to damage on rough roads (as the 20"). If you're not bothered about the 5% (if that) reduction in the range of the 19" Sport wheels and think they look way nicer (they do!), then perhaps it's worth sticking with them.

Also, I reckon there will be plenty of people willing to swap their 18" Aero wheels with you and prepared to pay you handsomely to do so. At one point I was looking at shipping some over from the US and with new tyres, it was going to cost me close to £3k!

Running the numbers on my current spec and it would be £90 more with the new pricing, but that's due to black paint now being £750 instead of free and the £900 uplift in FSD pricing. Only way to get a lower price would be to change spec (and lose place in queue).

Before the government grant the base price of the LR AWD was £50,550 now down to £48,990 (-£1,560). Plus £750 for black paint, plus £900 FSD price hike
Yup same boat. I've "saved" £90.

Just going to keep it as it is. Hopefully less "messing about" means the car gets faster (in other new have a VIN back on the website!)