Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD vs P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are still many people that have stuck with the LR AWD and not upgraded to the P- for the very small (relatively) extra cost. I'm genuinely curious as to why.

I'm in the US. When you say "stuck with the LR AWD", but haven't upgraded, are you implying that people were given the option post VIN / delivery to upgrade to a P-?

You simply call Tesla (wait hours to be answered) and change your order to P- or P+ Recognising you get a lot more acceleration for a little extra money. I kept my same order number and same place in the queue (according to them - but who knows). The Invoice was revised to add the word Performance after LR and to reflect the new pricing. Yes I annoyingly had to pay more for the FSD as originally it was discounted which they wouldn’t carry over in the revised order. All other spec remains same as original LR ordered so in fact the cars are identical out of the factory but the P- is simply a software upgrade and a different badge on the boot! I’m surprised Tesla were not proactively contacting LR orders to discuss upgrade. Actually, scratch that, given the experience of the last 3 months I’m not surprised about that at all...... but they should have proactively contacted the early advocates who ordered LR to ensure they were all looked after........

Were you told by an official Tesla rep that it was just a software upgrade or is that just the assumption?

Also to those saying range on the P+ isn't less than LR AWD even if you drive reasonable, I think you are in for a surprise. I've seen way too many P+ owners complain about the real world range being less (including the guy from Engineering Explained) with just normal driving here in the US. I am on a few model 3 ownership groups on Fb with thousands of members and this complaint comes up often.

Reactions: Roy W. and navt
I'm in the US. When you say "stuck with the LR AWD", but haven't upgraded, are you implying that people were given the option post VIN / delivery to upgrade to a P-?

No, this happened before any VIN's were given out. Originally in the UK we were given 3 options

- SR+
- LR AWD
- LR AWD Performance +

About 2 weeks after the uk launch Tesla removed the LR AWD options above and replaced them with one

LR AWD Performance (we call P-)

and a new £3700 upgrade to add the brakes, pedals and 20" wheels, we call (P+)

Were you told by an official Tesla rep that it was just a software upgrade or is that just the assumption?

Nothing official no, it's an assumption across many forums (and not just in the UK), it may or may not be correct.

Reactions: -DB- and jebinc
I just received my LR AWD, so I guess it's too late for me... :( Just curious, how much more did it cost you over the LR AWD price for the added acceleration?
This is UK part of forum. So options, different to US.

But its mute point anyway, as overnight, LR AWD is back at reduced price, P- is gone, P+PUP is reduced, Pearl White is new black.

Rumour has it that LW AWD may get a paid software upgrade to P-. But tbh, no one knows anything, and lots of conjecture flying around everywhere as the events overnight show.

How so? As advertised, LR AWD had quoted WLTP range of 348mi (I have a screenshot). P- is 329mi. Agree, not much in it but to say it is exactly the same is duplicitous.

That's because all P variants are advertised with range for the 20" wheels. On 18" wheels they are exactly the same, although it is not clear from the website. Here's a table with range shown for all M3 variants:-

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Prior to yesterday’s price change, has Tesla reached out (or given any indication) of what they would do ito a pricing compromise when the P- cost basically the same?

Actually if, like me, you ordered a Pearl White P- the P+ now actually comes in a grand cheaper!

P- (white/white) = £51,840
P+(white/white) = £50,940 (previous price £55,540)

Another round of order modification coming up! I don't actually want the 20" wheels, but I think for resale it's a no-brainer at this price. Got to feel for those who just paid £55,540 for P+ in the same spec!

I’ve just called and happily changed from P- to LR AWD at the revised pricing, saving me £3,100 in the process. I only ordered the P- in the first place because the original LR AWD disappeared, so this change works really well for me. No interest in upgrading to the P+ as I don’t need the performance and don’t want the 20 inch wheels. If I was keen on the performance side of it like you @Peteski I would absolutely be changing to the new P+, it is indeed a proverbial no-brainer for some. Overall, with the new prices, the P- we both originally ordered does not look like particularly good value from a residual value perspective vs any of the options that cropped up today.

I’ve just called and happily changed from P- to LR AWD at the revised pricing, saving me £3,100 in the process.

Did they indicate if this would affect delivery?

I originally ordered LR AWD, then when that disappeared changed to P-. I'm now keen to revert to LR AWD and save £3k, but I have a VIN and am apparently due to get my final invoice for the P- any day now.

I’ve just called and happily changed from P- to LR AWD at the revised pricing, saving me £3,100 in the process. I only ordered the P- in the first place because the original LR AWD disappeared, so this change works really well for me. No interest in upgrading to the P+ as I don’t need the performance and don’t want the 20 inch wheels. If I was keen on the performance side of it like you @Peteski I would absolutely be changing to the new P+, it is indeed a proverbial no-brainer for some. Overall, with the new prices, the P- we both originally ordered does not look like particularly good value from a residual value perspective vs any of the options that cropped up today.

Spot on summary there.
Upgrade to P+ if you want maximum performance or downgrade to LR AWD for a cheaper all-rounder with better everyday ride quality. I actually would have preferred the P- spec, but doesn't make sense now at the revised pricing.

Waiting it out for delivery is turning out to be a good move on cost! The P+ is now an absolute performance bargain compared to it's original launch pricing. Icing on the cake for me was the free Pearl White.

Reactions: interbear