Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR AWD vs P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did they indicate if this would affect delivery?

I originally ordered LR AWD, then when that disappeared changed to P-. I'm now keen to revert to LR AWD and save £3k, but I have a VIN and am apparently due to get my final invoice for the P- any day now.

No indication given to me as to whether modifying from P- to LR AWD would impact delivery. So my assumption is no (a dangerous assumption perhaps). Although to be fair I didn’t ask as I’m not actually too bothered, was expecting September anyway. Also, I don’t have a VIN assigned yet so it may be different for you but worth calling them to find out. The £3,100 saving is a significant one (plus possible insurance savings) and personally I’d happily wait a few extra weeks for what is essentially the same car with slightly reduced acceleration - but that will still feel like a supercar to me in that respect. The LR AWD does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds which is a few seconds quicker than my current car.

In your shoes with VIN allocated I’d definitely get on the phone today to check it out.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I've just ammended my order from a P3D- to LR AWD as I was concerned about the impact on residual value now that the purchase price is ~£1500 less than the P3D+. The cost reducing is approach £3500 after a few years of insurance which I'll take over the 1.2s 0-60 increase.

Fingers crossed for an uncork in the future!

I have (had?) a VIN allocated but I was informed that the P3D- has a different motor and so I'll be allocated a new VIN. I believe this goes against th conventual wisdom here and elsewhere so ill see what happens!

Reactions: Roy W.
I just find it odd with all these configuration changes that Tesla doesn't just offer some kind of Insane or Ludicrous mode option for LR AWD owners willing to pay to upgrade performance OTA at any point in time. Obviously there are people who don't want it enough to buy it and other's who want the full package of P+ but I definitely feel they are missing out on some middle ground with plenty of potential profit for people who really just want something in between.

I've just ammended my order from a P3D- to LR AWD as I was concerned about the impact on residual value now that the purchase price is ~£1500 less than the P3D+. The cost reducing is approach £3500 after a few years of insurance which I'll take over the 1.2s 0-60 increase.

Fingers crossed for an uncork in the future!

I have (had?) a VIN allocated but I was informed that the P3D- has a different motor and so I'll be allocated a new VIN. I believe this goes against th conventual wisdom here and elsewhere so ill see what happens!

My understanding is that the P- has the same motors as the P+ but that top speed is software limited to 145 rather than 162. It takes brute horsepower and torque to improve the 0-60 time from 4.4 to 3.2 secs, not simply a software switch (in my opinion!)

My understanding is that the P- has the same motors as the P+ but that top speed is software limited to 145 rather than 162. It takes brute horsepower and torque to improve the 0-60 time from 4.4 to 3.2 secs, not simply a software switch (in my opinion!)

Well put the other way around if you start with a P- it’s only a software downgrade to change it to a LR