Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR Dual Motor or SR+

SR+ VS LR Dual Motor

• LR Dual Motor

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • SR+

Votes: 22 59.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're in the market for a new car and we currently own a Model X 75D. Our daily range is less than 30-40 miles and have a HPWC at home. Being in Chicago, I completely understand the need for dual motor, and the longer range, but we've NEVER driven our X below 50% in the last year we've owned it even in winter. I can fork up the extra 10k for the dual motor if the driving feel, and options are that much better but if there is no reason to, then id rather put the money towards FSD or accessories such as a wrap. We never take any road drips either. Any input?

Any difference in feel between the single permanent magnet motor compared to the dual motor set up? I understand that 0-60 will be 1 second faster, but what about that EV instant torque and pick up? Anyone with a Dual Motor who wishes they went to with SR+ and visa versa? Thanks.

I would like to hear more on this thread as I’m in similar predicament. As I have been trying to get more active on this thread, you may have seen that I posted I will be ordering a long range AWD today. That is my plan but if I here anything before then, I may do a SR+ last minute.

I would like to hear more on this thread as I’m in similar predicament. As I have been trying to get more active on this thread, you may have seen that I posted I will be ordering a long range AWD today. That is my plan but if I here anything before then, I may do a SR+ last minute.

Elon said in response to a question on investor day, that they will be putting their emphasis on the SR +, rather than long range versions. Personally I feel more comfortable that a version they are building hundreds of thousands a year of, will get better support in the long run.

Another Chicagoan contemplating: LR RWD or LR AWD in Chicago

Anyone with a Dual Motor who wishes they went to with SR+?
Yes, I wish we'd saved the money on AWD. After watching several videos of RWD in snow, I'm convinced AWD is overkill in Chicago. The situations where it works in favor are too few and far between to justify the additional power.

Here's one such video I watched soon after purchase:

That being said, the acceleration is pure joy.

Thats the thing, I watched a youtube video saying that the perm mag motor of the RWD models does not have as good of a kick as the induction motors in the S and the X. And I worry that regen breaking will feel different in a RWD compared to the Dual motor. I'm pretty sure I will rarely need the range and the dual motors, I just don't want the car not to feel like an EV and back to an ICE.

Anyone care to comment?

We have two Model 3’s, both LR, one Dual and one RWD.

I do notice a bit of understeer with the dual, even in mild turns even under a little power, which the RWD does not have. I do often wish that the RWD had a tad more power, and that the Dual drove like the RWD. Between the two, I prefer the RWD.

My recommendation, order the LR RWD. You get all of the premium features, lots of power, and it drives better. Don’t compromise and get the SR+ if finances are not an issue.

This is a great question and one I have been struggling with!

When the LR RWD was still available I convinced myself that SR+ was my best choice.

Now it has gone I keep wondering whether AWD would be best now.

Factors

- I live in Ottawa so we get cold and snow. (AWD)
- short commute (SR+)
- occasionally travelling to Toronto (AWD)
- cost and potential depreciation and potential Y upgrade (SR+)
- speed and better stereo (AWD)
- buyer remorse (AWD)

Just find this such a hard choice …

Reactions: Coxwain
If you never take road trips and your daily usage is under 100 miles, SR+ is the way to go. Put some snow tires on it for the winter and have a blast.

If you want to start taking road trips of your want all wheel drive, the dual motor Model 3 is amazing.

As a one month owner of a SR+, I love my car. But, if I had the means (which I don't), I'd be Dual Motor LR ALL DAY LONG. But that would be my PERSONAL choice, not based off your situation.

Now, as far as what you've laid out... Here's an other possible choice. I'd call and see, if Tesla has a Medium Range accidentally stashed away someplace. You get the full Premium interior, a little more range to help combat the winters. Not to mention, you have some dough left over for Autopilot, paint/wheel/interior options, as well as accessories.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have bought the Medium Range. They may be now unicorns, for all I (don't) know.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies.

You did not state whether you plan to purchase AP or not. If you don’t want or need AP, the LR RWD at $44,500 is a great value. If you plan to purchase AP, the price gap between LR RWD and LR AWD narrows to where it’s not as compelling.

I will get AP. Probably not FSD at this point.

Main thing is the driving dynamics of the dual motor vs the RWD. And the snow handling of the dual vs RWD. I'm ok with range, I know that we will be fine with the 240 miles on the SR, just like the 237 on our 75D.

Almost everyone who’s commented on the RWD in the snow says it’s fine and AWD is not needed. So I would focus on whether you care about the other differences.

I have to agree on the AWD. This is marketing at its finest. Most people wanting that feature probably will never benefit from it.

I have some anxiety over choosing the SR+ battery vs LR battery. I know i am not a big driver. I have a lease that was 30k miles and 3 years. I am now in the last 6 months and only recently got to 20k miles. I want the LR battery piece of mind but in reality i likely will never need the LR battery.

I would like to have streaming audio (Sirius XM) and video. The car has the hardware for these features right ? Maybe Tesla will unlock for a fee at some point in the future ?