Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD/AWD "uncorking" in our futures?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll amend my opinion above to:
I don't think they'll do this for FREE without also providing more power to the P version first/at the same time.

But again, that's exactly what they did with the S/X uncork.

P didn't get any faster, non-P did.

However, it seems like they could make money upgrading the AWD/RWD for a fee - and they might do that, especially if there is no additional safe power available from the P. It's an alternative option that wouldn't make P customers too upset. They've already stirred up that hornet's nest!

Oh, no doubt they could do that too.

Though just watch if there won't be folks upset and saying Tesla sold them an intentionally nerfed car just so they could charge them more later to "unlock" it.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
For the Model S 75, they uncorked all (or mostly all) S75D models, including those built before the July 2017 announcement and those after (from 5.2 seconds down to 4.2 seconds 0-60). For the S75 RWD, they only uncorked those built after July 2017 (from 5.5 seconds down to 4.3 seconds 0-60). Any S75 RWD built from April 2016-June 2016 are still locked to the slower times (5.5 seconds 0-60). I've been following that very closely, and have been disappointed that the RWD models didn't get the uncorking option (I'm sure many of us would gladly pay for the uncorking if it were ever offered, but at this point that doesn't seem like it will ever happen since they discontinued the S75 RWD).

If I buy a old 2016 - S75D will I be able to get that uncorked? or is it already uncorked due to Over the Air Updates?

If I buy a old 2016 - S75D will I be able to get that uncorked? or is it already uncorked due to Over the Air Updates?
You would need to check with a service center to be sure, since it looked like there was a very small subset of 2016s S75D that couldn't be uncorked. That being said, the majority of cases I've seen on this forum for 2016 S75D were successful. It's not an over the air update, the service center has to connect to the car directly to do it.

Funny timing, this thread. I had a mobile tech over today to address a possibly blown strut issue, and we were just talking about the car in general. I have a RWD. He said Tesla plans on selling a performance upgrade for these RWD models, too. Just a software unlock. And continued by saying he's spoken to engineers about these cars and they claim these cars are nerfed big time and still have a ton more performance available.

So I don't know, maybe he was talking out his ass, but it sure got me excited. Even if I had to pay like $3k more, if the car could be like half a second or more faster 0-60, I'd buy it in a second.

One of my friends is a mobile tech and said Tesla treats techs like an outside company, so they aren't told anything. He even said that the engineers that test the battery packs aren't told what vehicles they will be going into etc etc. Luckily for my friend, he is friends with an engineer who worked on the Model 3's and was told off the record that, "the Model 3's battery pack is only running at 60%". I asked him as in range or power and he said "Both. If the vehicle was at its peak would be near 600hp with a close to 500 mile range". Now I am not sure how accurate this info is, but it is coming from someone more qualified than me.

One of my friends is a mobile tech and said Tesla treats techs like an outside company, so they aren't told anything. He even said that the engineers that test the battery packs aren't told what vehicles they will be going into etc etc. Luckily for my friend, he is friends with an engineer who worked on the Model 3's and was told off the record that, "the Model 3's battery pack is only running at 60%". I asked him as in range or power and he said "Both. If the vehicle was at its peak would be near 600hp with a close to 500 mile range". Now I am not sure how accurate this info is, but it is coming from someone more qualified than me.

very much doubt this.

I have a vision.

In that vision, I see Model S and X getting upgraded with 2170, or better, cells. When that happens, range becomes longer and 0-60 scores become faster.

Elon Musk announces that the time spent incorporating the new cells into the S/X has yielded 'surprising' results in a revisit to the Model 3 hardware. The ensuing upgrade would soon be available in a software patch. Numbers will still be 'lesser' than the S/X top line, but better than just newly designed competitor's vehicles.

Reactions: Sweet OJ
Count me as another RWD owner who would pay for an acceleration upgrade, and as someone who believes there is some room to increase the performance in all current versions. I do think that there is a good chance the performance increases might be free as well, if not tiered so that you can get a smaller power increase for free or a pay for a larger one. If I had to guess, I would say that as the tax credits dwindle, the 0-60 times will slide down as well to make sure sales stay up.

I'm not at all qualified to be talking about this, but my guesses would be that we end up at about these 0-60 #'s in around 6-18 months: RWD: 4.3 AWD: 3.9 P: 2.9. I'm guessing the base S will be about 3.7 and the P100D down just slightly to 2.4 to stay far enough away from the Roadster.

I think there is a good chance that something like this happens, but I want it too badly to know whether my optimism is overriding my sensibility.

Reactions: austinmichaeld