Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LR RWD vs LR AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed an order for the LR RWD after Tesla's announcement, but want to see if I made the right choice. I really don't need the AWD or care too much about the difference in handling. However, I remember test driving a MR (0-60 in 5.6 s) and then immediately testing driving a LR AWD (0-60 in 4.5 secs) and feeling that there was a significant difference in performance/speed--so much so that I knew if I purchased the MR I would regret it.

For those who have driven or ridden in both the LR RWD and AWD, is the difference in performance really noticeable? If so, is the greatest difference when you accelerate from a dead stop? I'm assuming the 0-60 5.0 sec for the current LR RWD is with the 5% boost included, so I don't know if that eases my concern about feeling like I'm in a MR again when driving the LR RWD.

Reactions: pandam3
There will definitely be a noticeable feeling of acceleration difference from a LR awd to a p3D.

I have a LR awd I love it but sometimes I wish I atleast had a track mode of some sort. But the idea is your pay for what you want for performance. At the end of the day a LR Awd is plenty quick but I would obviously prefer a P3D!

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark
There will definitely be a noticeable feeling of acceleration difference from a LR awd to a p3D.

I have a LR awd I love it but sometimes I wish I atleast had a track mode of some sort. But the idea is your pay for what you want for performance. At the end of the day a LR Awd is plenty quick but I would obviously prefer a P3D!
I’m actually referring to a LR RWD vs LR AWD (non p3d)

I have a S75D and got a S75 loaner.
Seemed very similar to me in terms of performance, but the S75 was quieter.
This was pre-uncorking, when the made the S75D faster.

Not sure how this translates to Model 3, but if you’re in a snow-free region I reckon they’ll be very similar.

I’m actually referring to a LR RWD vs LR AWD (non p3d)

The difference from 0-40 is noticeable but not as significant as from 40-70 where you really get pushed back in your seat in the AWD. I think this is mostly due to software limitations so the P3D can exist. The LR RWD is a bit more nimble from the lighter front end and also more efficient so both LR RWD and AWD have their advantages.

The right choice is up to you and your pocketbook.

It's all about perspective.

I first test drove a LR RWD. My first thought upon flooring it was, "WOW! This is plenty fast! Why would I need anything else?"

Then I test drive Performance.....and well....I bought a Performance+ (I was going to buy a Lotus EVORA 400 and keep an ICE daily driver, so the choice was easy for me to have it all in one car.)

I went back to test drive the LR RWD because I am thinking about getting a second Model 3, and boy does it feel slow. It is by no means a slow car. On paper it does 0-60 in 5.0-5.1 seconds. Some people have even managed 4.5 seconds.

So if you are set on getting a LR RWD, then I would suggest not testing anything else.

The earliest M3s were all LR rwd and they are great even better now with kinks worked out and I think the best value and still faster than 95% of the cars next to you at the stop light and 99% of the cars next to you on highway for passing. The main accel differences are only at a stop.. the passing power is much less difference.
I placed an order for the LR RWD after Tesla's announcement, but want to see if I made the right choice. I really don't need the AWD or care too much about the difference in handling. However, I remember test driving a MR (0-60 in 5.6 s) and then immediately testing driving a LR AWD (0-60 in 4.5 secs) and feeling that there was a significant difference in performance/speed--so much so that I knew if I purchased the MR I would regret it.

For those who have driven or ridden in both the LR RWD and AWD, is the difference in performance really noticeable? If so, is the greatest difference when you accelerate from a dead stop? I'm assuming the 0-60 5.0 sec for the current LR RWD is with the 5% boost included, so I don't know if that eases my concern about feeling like I'm in a MR again when driving the LR RWD.

Try not to focus too much on the slight 0-60 between the LR-RWD and AWD unless you plan on racing against other Teslas. You will be faster than most other cars no matter your choice.

I have drove both. Buddy has LR-RWD and I drove it quite a few times. When I ordered only the AWD was available in LR, so that is what I got. I like it a lot, but not that much different in everyday driving from the LR-RWD. The AWD is great for Michigan snow and wet roads, but my buddy does just fine in his LR-RWD too.

Consider the AWD if you want/need better traction.

I think you already made the best choice to get a LR model....good battery range makes driving Teslas a bit more fun.

Reactions: nvx1977
I test drove the LR RWD and purchased the AWD.

I spend a lot of time on interstates so I wanted the extra passing performance.

With the stock tires they would easily break free on wet roads. I imagine the RWD would be horrible. I have since replaced the tires on my car.

If I only made short drives on city streets I probably would have opted for the RWD for greater efficiency.

Since I now drive far away I also went for the dual motor redundancy. It can drive when one motor fails.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors
With the stock tires they would easily break free on wet roads. I imagine the RWD would be horrible.

I have at LR RWD from June 2018. Zero issues with rain. Snow tires for winter and it handles fine (but the back end is a little bit lively, which I don’t mind)

Buy the best model 3 you can comfortably afford. Apples to apples, it’s RWD with updated paint/wheels/interior and winter tires versus black aero AWD. No regrets with RWD, especially now that range and power are getting a bump.

My tires would break free under both heavy acceleration and heavy regen. Breaking free on heavy regen on wet roads really got to me. Perhaps it is because I ran them at 45 PSI. And this is with AWD, I cannot see how it would not be worse with RWD.

My tires would break free under both heavy acceleration and heavy regen. Breaking free on heavy regen on wet roads really got to me. Perhaps it is because I ran them at 45 PSI. And this is with AWD, I cannot see how it would not be worse with RWD.

your tires break free due to heavy regen on wet roads? Given that the heaviest regen is still a light-to-medium braking effort on the highway, I can't imagine this ever happening unless you're going 100+ mph or your tires are completely bald.

I can't imagine your experience is the norm, however you're getting it to happen.

image.jpg