Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Issues after MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU failed on my 2015 Model S ---- of course just a couple of months after warrantee expired.

The MCU was replaced and my 3G antennae was “upgraded” to LTE by ther service center in Seattle. At first the browser did not work. After first saying there was nothing wrong and they offered to put a 3G antenna back. Their reasoning is I might be in an area with weak LTE signal. Really? In an densely populated IT heavy city? When I declined, all of a sudden, they determined LTE board was defective. I got the car back.

Since then browser gets stuck going for tesla.com à Model S. There have never been more than two bars on the signal strength. In addition to the LTE weakness the wifi signal in my house is also weak. Car is 20 feet under the access point in the garage and never had issues with original MCU. They are now basically telling me that the tesla.com website is data and processing intensive. I have a hard time believe this. If we can’t get to a site like tesla.com why have a browser at all?

I am not an IT person but would appreciate thoughts and any suggestions on how to push back.

My MCU failed on my 2015 Model S ---- of course just a couple of months after warrantee expired.

The MCU was replaced and my 3G antennae was “upgraded” to LTE by ther service center in Seattle. At first the browser did not work. After first saying there was nothing wrong and they offered to put a 3G antenna back. Their reasoning is I might be in an area with weak LTE signal. Really? In an densely populated IT heavy city? When I declined, all of a sudden, they determined LTE board was defective. I got the car back.

Since then browser gets stuck going for tesla.com à Model S. There have never been more than two bars on the signal strength. In addition to the LTE weakness the wifi signal in my house is also weak. Car is 20 feet under the access point in the garage and never had issues with original MCU. They are now basically telling me that the tesla.com website is data and processing intensive. I have a hard time believe this. If we can’t get to a site like tesla.com why have a browser at all?

I am not an IT person but would appreciate thoughts and any suggestions on how to push back.
Mine also has not worked since the latest software update. Btw, I just got my MCU replaced also just recently. I believe this item should be fixed/recalled as it is a safety issue. I'd recommend filing a compliant if you agree. on 2013 TESLA MODEL S 5 HB RWD

You can see mine, it's the first one listed at this time.

ON 9/5/19 MY MCU (MEDIA CONTROL UNIT) (THE MAIN COMPUTER IN MY CAR) DIED. AS A RESULT, I WAS UNABLE TO:

1. MANUALLY POWER OFF THE VEHICLE AND PLACE IN TOW MODE

2. TURN ON PARKING LIGHTS, TURN ON/OFF HEADLIGHTS

3. TRIGGER ON/OFF CHILD PROTECTION LOCKS

ADDITIONALLY,

1. ALL HEATING, COOLING, DEFROST, AND DEFOGGING WAS DISABLED

I'VE READ THAT THIS IS A COMMON ISSUE WITH MODEL S/X CARS ON MULTIPLE FORUMS INCLUDING Home - Tesla Motors Club & Tesla |. I BELIEVE THE REASON IS SHOWN HERE
. START AT 8:40.

THIS IS QUITE WORRISOME, AS IT SEEMS AS THOUGH THIS FAILURE WILL HAPPEN AGAIN IN A FEW YEARS. IT WAS A HOT DAY AND NOT ONLY WAS IT UNBEARABLY INSIDE MY CAR, HOWEVER, MORE IMPORTANTLY, MANY OF THE KEY SAFETY FUNCTIONS (SEE ABOVE) WERE ALSO DISABLED DUE TO THIS FAILURE.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
None of what you describe in fantastic all-caps detail would be considered a “safety issue” by NHTSA worthy of a recall.

Even if the MCU fails completely while driving, all critical safety and driving functions remain operational so you can safely pull to the side of the road and stop the car while maintaining control. Your climate control not working is not a recall-worthy safety issue. Sorry.

• Funny
Reactions: hpartsch
None of what you describe in fantastic all-caps detail would be considered a “safety issue” by NHTSA worthy of a recall.

Even if the MCU fails completely while driving, all critical safety and driving functions remain operational so you can safely pull to the side of the road and stop the car while maintaining control. Your climate control not working is not a recall-worthy safety issue. Sorry.
Just for your knowledge, I didn't write it in all caps. Their system changes any compliants written to all caps - maybe let the nhtsa know it is silly to do such ;). I think it is a design failure that should not be occurring due to excessive logging. Maybe we have different thoughts of safety. Not having those features I described is concerning to me and could result in a safety issue.

Last edited:
Not having those features I described is concerning to me and could result in a safety issue.

I don’t disagree, just pointing out how safety issues tend to be defined for things like recalls by NHTSA.

Wheels falling off.
Airbags that throw shrapnel in faces and kill people.
Electronics and fuel system malfunctions that start fires.

Not the inability to turn off the AC or headlights.

• Informative
Reactions: hpartsch
Try going to FAST.COM if you can manage to type a url into the browser and check the speeds at both home WiFi and OTA connection. At least you will have some idea of what kind of speed is being pulled in. It’s a place to start at least to making your case at the service center two cars side by side both on LTE should give more or less as,e results from a few averages.

Try going to FAST.COM if you can manage to type a url into the browser and check the speeds at both home WiFi and OTA connection. At least you will have some idea of what kind of speed is being pulled in. It’s a place to start at least to making your case at the service center two cars side by side both on LTE should give more or less as,e results from a few averages.

Thank you! I had asked them if I put two cars with LTE in the same spot if I should see the same signal strength. They gave me a song and dance about cars having same chipset and LTE modems. I like you idea of the speed test. I will give it a shot.