Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE Upgrade behaving strangely - Are there still issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 25k VIN Model S upgraded to LTE recently and have noticed some strange behavior on the network connection. I know there were issues with this upgrade in the past, which is why I waited this long, but it seemed like everything had been resolved.

Essentially, the vehicle seems to be spending an unusual amount of time on 3G. I have an iPhone on AT&T, the same network Tesla uses, and for most of my drive in the area the car sat on 3G with poor signal strength (1 bar, maybe 2) and the iPhone was on LTE with 4/5 or 5/5 bars. It stayed this way throughout my drive in the Peninsula.

I drove down to San Jose, and I lost connection completely for a few minutes, after which the car connected to LTE for what seemed to be the first time. A few blocks later it was on 3G again (with phone still on LTE).

Has anyone else seen this? I reset the center console, but maybe I need to do a full power cycle of the entire vehicle?

I kind of figured as much. When turning off LTE on my phone and comparing 3G reception, the car always beat my phone (bigger antenna, perhaps?) so I was surprised to see this disparity. I'll do some power-cycle magic and give it a few days. Maybe it'll go away.