Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade is on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heck if you upgrade the pack from 85 to 90 and get the insane to ludicrous upgrade at the same time spending $8000 or so they should throw the LTE upgrade in for free.

There's no indication the Ludiicrous upgrade for $5000 plus installation is going to include a pack upgrade from an 85 to a 90. Everything I've read indicates that any sort of pack upgrade involving the trade in of a pack used as much as Wayner's has been would cost a heck of a lot more than a couple of thousand dollars.

There's no indication the Ludiicrous upgrade for $5000 plus installation is going to include a pack upgrade from an 85 to a 90. Everything I've read indicates that any sort of pack upgrade involving the trade in of a pack used as much as Wayner's has been would cost a heck of a lot more than a couple of thousand dollars.

Building on this, I do believe that Elon specifically mentioned at some point that Ludicrous was independent of the capacity upgrade.

This problem seems to be primarily a Canadian problem and I don't think the LTE upgrade is available in Canada yet (when I called the Toronto SC a few days ago they had no info on this upgrade). However there should be folks in Canada who have new cars with the LTE radio who could comment. We had some discussions in the Canadian forum on this and the guess was that no, having LTE won't fix this problem since it appears to be due to the fact that cars in Canada are roaming.
Vancouver SC indicated that they can do the LTE upgrade, but said that it is not helping the 3G drop out problem. I wonder why?

- - - Updated - - -

I am getting LTE installed on Monday the 24th in Mississauga FYI
If you find that LTE solves the 3G drop out problem please let us know, since this seems to be a problem common to Canadian with 3G. I have not heard of Canadian MS with factory installed LTE performance yet.

I said nothing of the sort. I said if he paid the extra to do two more expensive upgrades that he should get a third much cheaper upgrade free (and I said that tongue in cheek thinking of the laser hair removal ads). In no way did I imply that paying for ludicrous mode would give you a free pack upgrade.

You can give your guess of how much more than $8000 it'd take to pay for the two more expensive upgrades but please don't misconstrue my post to imply that I said a pack upgrade was free.

I said nothing of the sort. I said if he paid the extra to do two more expensive upgrades that he should get a third much cheaper upgrade free (and I said that tongue in cheek thinking of the laser hair removal ads). In no way did I imply that paying for ludicrous mode would give you a free pack upgrade.

You can give your guess of how much more than $8000 it'd take to pay for the two more expensive upgrades but please don't misconstrue my post to imply that I said a pack upgrade was free.

I certainly wasn't trying to misconstrue your post. It is possible I misunderstood it. This was your original post:

Heck if you upgrade the pack from 85 to 90 and get the insane to ludicrous upgrade at the same time spending $8000 or so they should throw the LTE upgrade in for free.

I took that to mean that you thought upgrading the pack from 85 to 90 and getting the insane to Ludicrous upgrade were going to cost $8000 together, and that if Wayner was spending that, the LTE upgrade should be free. I understood the LTE for free was a joke. But it sounded like you thought the other two aspects of the upgrade together would cost $8000.

This was a reasonable assumption on my part, based on how you wrote your sentence, and on the fact that the numbers having been thrown around for the upgrade have been $5000 plus installation cost, which some people have posted as estimated at $1600, so $6600. I've never seen an $8000 figure for just the discounted Ludicrous upgrade with installation.

In retrospect, perhaps you were converting to Canadian dollars or something.

In any case, I certainly wasn't trying to misconstrue anything you wrote, but rather was trying to make sure no one thought they'd be able to get a pack upgrade and a Ludicrous mode upgrade for $8000.

I certainly wasn't trying to misconstrue your post. It is possible I misunderstood it. This was your original post:

I took that to mean that you thought upgrading the pack from 85 to 90 and getting the insane to Ludicrous upgrade were going to cost $8000 together, and that if Wayner was spending that, the LTE upgrade should be free. I understood the LTE for free was a joke. But it sounded like you thought the other two aspects of the upgrade together would cost $8000.

In any case, I certainly wasn't trying to misconstrue anything you wrote, but rather was trying to make sure no one thought they'd be able to get a pack upgrade and a Ludicrous mode upgrade for $8000.

This was your original mistatement

There's no indication the Ludicrous upgrade for $5000 plus installation is going to include a pack upgrade from an 85 to a 90.

which implies that no matter what one upgrade cost the other was included in the same price, which we both know is untrue.

The first Google hit for the poor pricing I got was Tesla announces Model S Ludicrous upgrade, 90-kWh battery but I didn't feel like digging through the other 475,000 results.

what I actually wrote was $8000 or so with there being a significance to the "or so" that you missed. I don't know how much the labor or tax will cost and the first Google result I found said $5000 for one and $3000 for the other. I thought it was clear that "or so" meant it would cost more but apparently I should have used a larger disclaimer.

I didn't bother searching any harder because as this thread and others have shown it is next to impossible to nail down actual costs for upgrades. I figured that horse had been beaten enough and chose to say "or so".

I see now that I left out the punctuation between "or so" and the following fragment, it should have been more like

"Heck if you upgrade the pack from 85 to 90 and get the insane to ludicrous upgrade at the same time spending $8000 or so*, they should throw the LTE upgrade in for free."

maybe with the comma in there you would have read the sentence differently? Or maybe anything less than a 4 paragraph disclaimer would have triggered a discussion of how much more installation would cost. I'll leave * undefined since we've already hashed both sides of this in these posts.

Last edited:
Vancouver SC indicated that they can do the LTE upgrade, but said that it is not helping the 3G drop out problem. I wonder why?
And that's the big question. When I see signal bars and no '3G' on the display, I've been assuming the problem is at the cellular level. But perhaps the '3G' only appears when the cellular radio has a 3G connection AND the IP tunnel to Jasper is successfully built, so that data is then able to flow? In that case, it's likely to be more of a software issue - which would fit with the assertion that an upgrade will fix it.

Having learned first hand how tricky it can be to build an IPSec tunnel with variable IP's, intermittent connectivity etc, I could easily understand why we are seeing the problems we are... assuming the IPSec challenges are directly comparable to Jasper's IP tunneling. But it wouldn't explain why US cars seem to have fewer issues.

No my understanding wasn't wrong.

Like I said before I googled a quick number and quoted it.

That isn't a problem in understanding. I understand it will cost more than that. I was just lazy in how I worded it.

The $3000 figure I quoted is from a poorly worded article that you and I both would call "wrong". I just didn't bother to go further.

No I didn't suggest they would be in the neighborhood of $8000, I suggested they would be above $8000. You just didn't get my gist.

I'm OK with you saying I worded it poorly just don't say I said something I didn't and don't say I don't understand. You are inferring something I didn't imply.

State for the others what you think the upgrade costs will be and stop trying to pick apart my hurried post.

I'm not going to argue beyond this, because it's clear you just don't want to admit that you were wrong.

In the post before your last one, in an attempt to clarify that you were talking about Wayner spending more than the $8,000, you talked about using words like "or so", and that I had missed those. You also talked about labor and tax. Most importantly, it was clear that you thought the two numbers you found in the article would apply to Wayner's car, when in actuality those two numbers will never apply to the same car.

what I actually wrote was $8000 or so with there being a significance to the "or so" that you missed. I don't know how much the labor or tax will cost and the first Google result I found said $5000 for one and $3000 for the other. I thought it was clear that "or so" meant it would cost more but apparently I should have used a larger disclaimer.

I posted initially to prevent others from reaching the same incorrect conclusion about the $5000 plus $3000 that you apparently had.

The rest of this discussion is because you accused me of trying to misconstrue your post. I'm going to defend myself when attacked.

I thought that I read in another thread (and since this is second/third-hand, it could be very wrong) that it appears the connection home is only used for DNS and communications back to Tesla. So, for instance, the radio and Google Maps data don't go through Tesla's connection, but the DNS lookup for them do. As such, it could be the DNS resolver occasionally gets stuck in successfully getting to Tesla (through a roaming partner dropping you for whatever reason or problems with tunneling), causing the entire connection to appear to stall. Much of this could very well be related to the connection. I often have to break the VPN connection on my phone and reinitialize it to break free from stalls. I haven't investigated whether it was DNS or other problems in my phone's case though.

I thought that I read in another thread (and since this is second/third-hand, it could be very wrong) that it appears the connection home is only used for DNS and communications back to Tesla. So, for instance, the radio and Google Maps data don't go through Tesla's connection, but the DNS lookup for them do.
What I've inferred from other discussions is that wifi behavior is different to cellular behavior. If I check the IP my browser is using over the 3G connection, it resolves back to Jasper... which suggests Jasper is the gateway for all 3G data. However, people who have sniffed wifi signals have given results indicating something more in line with what you're suggesting - but the key is 'wifi data mode' is necessary to move traffic outside of the IP tunnel.

Building on this, I do believe that Elon specifically mentioned at some point that Ludicrous was independent of the capacity upgrade.
Yes, in the announcement (voice) and in the formal blog post. Except, of course, he said "almost".

Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors
It is important to note that the battery pack size upgrade and the pack electronics upgrade are almost entirely independent. The first is about energy, which affects range, and the second is about power, which affects acceleration.

What I've inferred from other discussions is that wifi behavior is different to cellular behavior. If I check the IP my browser is using over the 3G connection, it resolves back to Jasper... which suggests Jasper is the gateway for all 3G data. However, people who have sniffed wifi signals have given results indicating something more in line with what you're suggesting - but the key is 'wifi data mode' is necessary to move traffic outside of the IP tunnel.

Ahh, a difference in behavior between 3G and Wifi operations would definitely account for some of the seemingly difference behaviors I have read about on here. Thanks!

I'm not going to argue beyond this, because it's clear you just don't want to admit that you were wrong.

The rest of this discussion is because you accused me of trying to misconstrue your post. I'm going to defend myself when attacked.

really simple

English vs math

Imagine a number line with a endpoint of a ray on 8000 and the ray extending towards infinity on the positive side of the number line.

That can be expressed as

8000 or so
8000+
>8000
8000 to infinity

You seem to think just becuase I chose to use a word phrase that is common in my part of the US that it's less accurate than a greater than symbol. Fine if that confuses you leave it at that. But nothing you say about my choice of words changes the intent of my message.

You also seem to think that because I chose a conservative anchor for my ray that it implies I don't understand the scope.

I understand everything you say about the cost of buying and upgrade costs. I just didn't appreciate your tone of reply and how you put words in my mouth to begin with. So long as you demand to say I was "wrong" and "didn't understand" we are at an impasse. I'd suggest the whole of our replies on this can just be totted off to the snippiness thread.

I understand everything you say about the cost of buying and upgrade costs. I just didn't appreciate your tone of reply and how you put words in my mouth to begin with. So long as you demand to say I was "wrong" and "didn't understand" we are at an impasse. I'd suggest the whole of our replies on this can just be totted off to the snippiness thread.

At no point was I snippy, and I would take issue with being moderated into snippiness, as I don't believe I have any posts in snippiness.

I initially responded, as I said before, to make sure others were not confused by the combining of the $5000 and the $3000 figures. The original news articles on the issue were confusing enough, and it would be easy for people who hadn't read much or researched much to be confused. I was trying to be helpful.

I understand that you are now saying you just meant that the cost would be greater than $8000, and you happened to use the two numbers in the article--$5000 and $3000 and added them together. I'm sure you can see why I thought that could confuse people, and why I wanted to make sure it didn't.

I maintain that neither of us were snippy, and there is no need for these posts, which could be helpful to people, to be moderated. I've been surprised at some of the posts I've seen moved to snippiness lately, including one that was completely humor--a play on words--and not directed at anyone--that I expect perhaps the moderator looked at quickly and just didn't understand.

I think the snippiness thread is for when people are attacking each other rudely, and exists so that threads remain civil. That's fine. But I don't think either of us were rude or uncivil, or that we attacked the other person. We were having a conversation and a disagreement. That's what happens in discussion forums. If every slightly heated disagreement starts getting moderated away to snippiness, TMC will become a very boring place.

With regard to the LTE upgrade, Vancouver is now doing the upgrades and I was about to make an appointment but then it concerned me about travelling to the States. If it doesn't work in the States, that would make the upgrade not worth it to me since I go down south a lot. Has anyone in Canada with LTE taken their vehicle to the States? I doubt the service people will know the answer to this question since they just got in the upgrade kit but I will ask them too.