Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LTE upgrade vs MCU upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this is probably a beaten to pulp topic.

I'm one of those driving my 2012 Model S P85 still with 3G Modem. Have an appointment tomorrow at Fremont SC for LTE upgrade. $220 incl. taxes.

I also have bluetooth connectivity problems for nearly two years. Every time I start the car, my phone connects almost instantly, but the bluetooth goes off within 2-3 mins, reinitializes and comes back after a minute. This happens every time I start the car, which is very annoying if I'm on a call or listening to music from my phone.

SC is asking if I'd like to consider upgrading the center display, computer behind it and the cluster behind the steering wheel - for $1500, which will have pretty much everything new, including LTE modem. And it's warranted for 2 years.

$200 for LTE upgrade only (but live with bluetooth connectivity and old instrumentation that could fail anytime) Vs. $1500 for a full upgrade and peace of mind for 2 years. I want to lean towards full upgrade, but I just spent $8k on RDU replacement 3 months ago 🤦‍♂️

Please help me decide. Thank you.

• Love
Reactions: Chris Redfield
You might lose your radio if you upgrade. Read this before deciding: Infotainment Upgrade
Yes, I read through multiple threads on it, I understand and I'm okay with it. I use radio apps if I have to listen to any specific stations. Most FM radios have streaming apps as well.

BTW, Tesla sent an estimate and the $1500 upgrade doesn't include LTE upgrade. They charge additional $200 for it. How can they upgrade the entire MCU without LTE modem? Isn't it supposed to be part of it? Now with taxes, it's $1800 plus.

I own a 2013 P85+. The sdcard inside the MCU1 failed a few months ago. I bought the MCU2 retrofit. I enjoy it: the image quality is still better, very fast, I am sure that the premium sound of my car has been improved! I listen to radios using tunein, pretty fast! I am very happy with this MCU2 despite its high price. And my son enjoys the games! The new UI is good, I have only to be used to it.

Personally I do not think the software/speed gains are worth it, BUT if you have not had a leaking/bubbling screen on either your IC or your center screen, it is cheaper to do the MCU upgrade than it is to replace either of those displays, so for only that reason I would say "go for it" if you plan to keep the car for a while (and I'm assuming you do based on the RDU you paid for).

Thanks everyone. I left the car at SC and confirmed the infotainment upgrade.

Yes, I plan to intend to keep the car as long as I can. It still drives like a charm, still feels fresh, no squeaking, leaking, etc. The RDU failure (I still can't believe it failed) was VERY unfortunate as I had no troubles, warnings until the previous evening. I wish I didn't have to do that and I'm unable to accept that it magically failed after parking overnight.

With gas prices over the roof, why would I sell it, when I can use supercharging for free for life of the car! If and when I am tired of this car, which I never will, I will give it my daughter. I'm getting ~220 miles now - knocking on the wood - I wish/pray I don't have to replace the battery anytime soon. And the RDU is warranted for 4 years. Infotainment upgrade has 2 years warranty. It's for me to keep!

Thanks once again.

Picked up the car and the screen looks fantastic. LTE is great and I don't see any lag. Glad I chose to do the infotainment upgrade. Thanks everyone.
Congratulations on the upgrade!

I'm in the same boat as you.
As some of the other members know, my 2014 85 has a completely non-functional Bluetooth & Wireless card.
They both do nothing at all. Useless features unfortunately. And I also have a 3G modem.

When the time is right, I'll shell out 1,500 for the MCU2, but that time isn't anywhere in the near future.

I also have some of the adhesive showing up on both sides of the driver screen behind the steering wheel. Whatever. I'll deal with it.

Congratulations on the upgrade!

I'm in the same boat as you.
As some of the other members know, my 2014 85 has a completely non-functional Bluetooth & Wireless card.
They both do nothing at all. Useless features unfortunately. And I also have a 3G modem.

When the time is right, I'll shell out 1,500 for the MCU2, but that time isn't anywhere in the near future.

I also have some of the adhesive showing up on both sides of the driver screen behind the steering wheel. Whatever. I'll deal with it.
Good luck with the upgrade. Mine is 2012 Model S P85, and bluetooth sucked big time. It was too slow to start and sometimes the large screen stayed blank for longer period of time, no way to tell if it's restarting when I pressed both knobs on the wheel. Now with the upgrade, everything is almost instantaneous, connectivity is great. I tried Netflix too while at SC, it was smooth and nice HD. Totally worth the upgrade.

• Love
Hello, sorry to bring up an old beaten subject up again. I'm in a process of having the 3G upgraded to LTE on my 2013 MS, but since the screen is leaking and has yellowish border I figured why spend the $200+ on the LTE upgrade and to just do the MCU2 upgrade. Tesla chat is stating that LTE upgrade is not included the MCU2 upgrade and I can't seem to find any website on my quick search to reply back to them that it does include the LTE in the MCU2 upgrade. Is there any links that state that if someone has come across one?

Hello, sorry to bring up an old beaten subject up again. I'm in a process of having the 3G upgraded to LTE on my 2013 MS, but since the screen is leaking and has yellowish border I figured why spend the $200+ on the LTE upgrade and to just do the MCU2 upgrade. Tesla chat is stating that LTE upgrade is not included the MCU2 upgrade and I can't seem to find any website on my quick search to reply back to them that it does include the LTE in the MCU2 upgrade. Is there any links that state that if someone has come across one?
You could point them to their own documentation for starters... or just accept that their support is incompetent, often doesn't have any idea what they're talking about, and you're not gonna change that.

Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 5.32.09 PM.png

I got them to state that LTE upgrade is part of the MCU2 upgrade, the service rep apologized. Now I'm dealing with the estimate, they want to charge $2184.38 without the radio option. The estimate shows weird factors, on one area it states "Correction: Visual Compute Module (VCM) Daughterboard (Tegra) (Remove & Replace) -- $281.54 then further down it has the same amount showing up as a labor line item. I'm chatting with them that it should $1750 plus tax, that is what your own Tesla site shows. Waiting for their reply now.

I had also asked about recalls 18V-204 (steering wheel rack aluminum bolts) and 21V035 (eMMC) that show up as needed when I do a vin recall search at Tesla Service, their reply was

"I do not see any active recalls at thisfor your vehicle. The service bulletins mentioned applied to vehicles within warranty that were experiencing symptoms assiciated with the bulletin and did not pertain to all vehicles or one's out of warranty. The reference bulletins that were put in place as maintenance for vehicles experiencing within warranty steering wheel clicking at low speeds"

I wasn't aware that recalls were not covered once the vehicles are out of warranty like my 2013 MS P85+, the previous owner never took it in or checked for recalls while the car was under warranty.