Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air vs Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I'll never understand is why Musk is so willing to give access to the Tesla SC network to the newcomers. Why would you take away what may be your #1 competitive advantage...even if the completion is forced to pay you for that access?

What I'll never understand is why Musk is so willing to give access to the Tesla SC network to the newcomers. Why would you take away what may be your #1 competitive advantage...even if the completion is forced to pay you for that access?

First, he really does believe. The man does think he will save the human race. And he believes this is an integral part of how he's going to do that. Second, from a business standpoint? You know, for enough bucks, anything's worth it! Plus every time you drive your Toyota up to Tesla charger? A great way to build brand awareness.

Reactions: spectrum and Canuck
If anything, by 2020 it will keep Tesla honest in increasing the Model S battery and features. The term killer is silly. Mustang hasn't killed Camero and vice versa. I wish them the best, but we need them to make a few thousand before we can consider them even an alternative.

Reactions: Canuck

In the early days of PC, it was the open standard IBM PC platform that beat competing superior platforms like PS2. In the VHS vs Betamax battle, the superior betamax was beat by the VHS standard that was freely licensed to anyone. Historically, the freely licensed platform that is adopted throughout an industry will become the de-facto standard even if superior solutions are developed.

Reactions: LeadFootPA
First, he really does believe. The man does think he will save the human race. And he believes this is an integral part of how he's going to do that. Second, from a business standpoint? You know, for enough bucks, anything's worth it! Plus every time you drive your Toyota up to Tesla charger? A great way to build brand awareness.

And a great way to turn off your existing customers as they’ll then have to wait in long lines behind those Toyota’s at every SC. IMO this will stress the SC network to the breaking point.

And a great way to turn off your existing customers as they’ll then have to wait in long lines behind those Toyota’s at every SC. IMO this will stress the SC network to the breaking point.

Not if you use the Toyota and Toyota customer monies to build out the SC Network faster.

If you assume Elon Musk is an idiot the safest bet is to reevaluate your assumptions.

Reactions: henderrj
Of course Musk is a smart guy, but nowhere have I ever read that access to the SC network would be a reciprocal relationship. Care to provide a link where Musk said he would require other company’s access to be contingent upon their participation in building out the network? Maybe I missed it.

There are already complaints mounting in some areas where lines for charging are long. This will obviously get worse with just the proliferation of the Model 3. The additional stress on the system of EVs from other companies would further stress the network.

Further, most of us know how long it takes for new SC locations to go from the planning stage to full fruition. So it’s important to separate blind optimism from reality.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Of course Musk is a smart guy, but nowhere have I ever read that access to the SC network would be a reciprocal relationship. Care to provide a link where Musk said he would require other company’s access to be contingent upon their participation in building out the network? Maybe I missed it.

There are already complaints mounting in some areas where lines for charging are long. This will obviously get worse with just the proliferation of the Model 3. The additional stress on the system of EVs from other companies would further stress the network.

Further, most of us know how long it takes for new SC locations to go from the planning stage to full fruition. So it’s important to separate blind optimism from reality.

Soon enough more reflective Minds at Tesla will talk Musk into letting loose the "we must own everything" approach to the supercharger Network. They will begin to, can we use the word franchise, the network and then it will be built out at a tremendous rate. All that contingent on enough people actually using it that it's worth people to put one in front of their store! I can see some free access to superchargers in front of stores and businesses that want our patronage enough.

It would be some work to look it up and, alas, but I appear to be too lazy to do so, but Musk did say at the very beginning that they would have to bear the load of building out the network.

I think the vertical integration model has legs, so I like Tesla’s style. Franchise SuperChargers, OK but it would have to be compelling to Tesla and it’s customer base. No ICE manufacturer will contribute in a meaningful way to the investment Tesla has made, means I cannot see it happening unless Tesla is cash strapped.

To be honest, right now I only see Hyundai/Kia even making a good effort on EV’s. Maybe ze Germans are about to make a move but they have a clear and present problem.. how not to erode their existing sales of ICE. Maybe I t’s like IBM ditching the Micro Chanel bus but on a much grander scale?

Tesla is quietly building the largest, most convenient and most capable charging network in the world. As everyone converts to EV's over the next 30 years, the charging network could be the most valuable revenue stream they have.

VW is building their own charging network (part of the settlement for dieselgate) - so Tesla won't be the only manufacturer with a charging network.

Tesla has offered access to the superchargers, along with use of some of Tesla's patents, and none of the other manufacturers has taken those offers. They all rightly assume Tesla is their largest EV threat - and, at least so far, prefer to avoid partnering with Tesla on anything.