Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air vs Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a curious to hear from anyone who has both Model S and Lucid Air. How has your experience been in driving dynamics, cabin quality, quietness, rattles etc. I have AModel S 2018 and looking to buy a Lucid but curious to hear from anyone who has owned both and can share their experience. Thanks in Advance

In a curious to hear from anyone who has both Model S and Lucid Air. How has your experience been in driving dynamics, cabin quality, quietness, rattles etc. I have AModel S 2018 and looking to buy a Lucid but curious to hear from anyone who has owned both and can share their experience. Thanks in Advance
Lucid is in a different league. It’s not even close. Have you driven one yet?

The new S is considerably quieter than a 2018.

Lucid’s days are numbered, they will be lucky to make it 3 years. Sad, they have Tesla DNA and was hoping they would be a solid competitor. Very nice cars.

The new S is considerably quieter than a 2018.

Lucid’s days are numbered, they will be lucky to make it 3 years. Sad, they have Tesla DNA and was hoping they would be a solid competitor. Very nice cars.
It will be truly a shame if they don’t survive. Their engineering and space concept is top notch. I hope more buyers embrace them. Am on the fence and could use anyone’s perspective.

Thanks for your response. I have driven Lucid and I agree it’s head and shoulders above Model S. However, the experience after purchase and diving ca be very different than just test driving. Do you own Lucid?
Yes. Post sales support has been excellent. But I haven’t really needed them for much.

As other have stated, I am concerned with long-term viability if they aren’t able to come up with a model that keeps them from burning through cash and not producing/delivering enough vehicles at scale.

I used to have 2012 Model S 100 RWD, and 2018 Model 3 but I sold them off for my current 2017 Model X 100 AWD and 2022 Lucid Grand Touring.

Range is King in my book and that's why I bought the Lucid with 516 mile range. It's much more comfortable than my other 2 Tesla cars. No wind noise (Tesla has frameless windows). It's coil suspension but it beats my Tesla air suspension Model X. It looks lower and smaller than the S/X but much spacious inside. The frunk is also bigger and also motorized.

I got free 3 years of unlimited charging at Electrify America. There used to be lots of complaints due to Plug-and-Charge problems but they have solved those by the time I bought my car, so it's been smooth so far.

Its ADAS is just like a simple Autopilot on highways and TACC in city streets but I love the blind spot warnings on the side mirrors. I can manually Change Lane and its auto steer would seamlessly reactivated automatically on highways.

For parking, I prefer to park manually and rely on its live streaming of 360 bird eye view and sonars although it also has auto park.

Service Centers are still quite responsive with humans just like Tesla did in the early days. Not sure it will change just like the present Tesla when it will become rich and profitable.

It feels more luxurious and less stressful with Lucid.

Last edited:
@NewEnglander Beside Lucid, did you evaluated other vehicles such as the Taycan or the EQS?
I have not. However, one of my coworkers has Taycan and while it’s super sporty, it’s not the kind of car I am looking for. I like super comfy, quiet cars and Lucid fits the bill better. I have heard mixed reviews about EQS and that they have overdone it. I have an option to buy a Touring and get federal tax rebate as I had a binding agreement. So contemplating taking the risk in Lucid’s long term viability. However, a part of me wants to do my part to make them successful. Their engineering is superb.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I have test-driven the Lucid Air Touring and have had Model S's on occasion when my X was in the shop. I'm picking up my AT next week, so I'll follow up, but from lurking on the Lucid owners' forum, you'll hear complaints about Electrify America, the lack of the promised Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, etc., but virtually everyone agrees that the driving experience is superior to Tesla Model S.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
I have the same opinion but was hoping I may be able to get feedback if so some who has extensively driven or owned both and can give a more neutral opinion. Most folks on Lucid forum are somewhat biased and hence may bash Tesla more than Lucid. I have a Model S and looking to finalize my touring order before credit runs out hence was looking for an unbiased opinion.

...was hoping I may be able to get feedback if so some who has extensively driven or owned both and can give a more neutral opinion...
I reported what I experienced in message #9 above already.

This is my Lucid posing in my small town, Visalia:

Td8ETXn.jpg

I bought Tesla in 2012 because, at that time, Tesla had the most extended range. Not anymore when Lucid arrived, so that's why I now have Lucid for range and 2017 Model X for local driving.

Tesla has more features to play with, but I don't miss all the video games, youtube, or FSD beta in my Lucid.

I used to enjoy driving Tesla before the Lucid arrival, but now I enjoy Lucid more: quieter, more comfortable, better suspension, more spacious, 1-pedal driving with much stronger regen that seldom needs friction brakes. It's easy to talk to Lucid humans throughout the process and afterward, including Service Centers.

I reported what I experienced in message #9 above already.

This is my Lucid posing in my small town, Visalia:

Td8ETXn.jpg

I bought Tesla in 2012 because, at that time, Tesla had the most extended range. Not anymore when Lucid arrived, so that's why I now have Lucid for range and 2017 Model X for local driving.

Tesla has more features to play with, but I don't miss all the video games, youtube, or FSD beta in my Lucid.

I used to enjoy driving Tesla before the Lucid arrival, but now I enjoy Lucid more: quieter, more comfortable, better suspension, more spacious, 1-pedal driving with much stronger regen that seldom needs friction brakes. It's easy to talk to Lucid humans throughout the process and afterward, including Service Centers.
How often have you faced issues with Lucid? Either software or any hardware malfunction etc? I have read a lot of reports about Cameras not working or being very slow to respond, bluetooth issues and in general sluggishness of their system In responding and doing things in a Timely manner. Many have complained about their Highway Assist being quite subpar to Tesla Base autopilot. While I want to buy Lucid for the smoothness, luxury and less noise inside, I don’t want to own an ongoing headache.

How often have you faced issues with Lucid? Either software or any hardware malfunction etc? I have read a lot of reports about Cameras not working or being very slow to respond, bluetooth issues and in general sluggishness of their system In responding and doing things in a Timely manner. Many have complained about their Highway Assist being quite subpar to Tesla Base autopilot. While I want to buy Lucid for the smoothness, luxury and less noise inside, I don’t want to own an ongoing headache.

Issues are slow to be dealt with could be miscommunication.

Instead of calling Service Centers, some would rely on Delivery Advisors or generic operators to pass the message.

I have not encountered any software or hardware malfunction. Cameras work fine. It even has 360 bird eye view for parking that I use all the time. The screen response with 5G cell signal is much faster than my other Tesla's but those are obsolete 2017 and 2018 LTE so it might not be a good comparison.

Music and phone call Bluetooth have been great with Samsung 9, Note 10, and now, S23 Ultra, since first day of delivery on December.

When Tesla first introduced Bluetooth phone key to the 3, there were lots of complaints that it didn't work well and that prompted Tesla to start selling traditional fobs for the 3 and Y. Same here with Lucid, owners might need to find tune the app permissions, make sure it runs all the time in the background... Free fobs and cards are reliable if they don't want to troubleshoot the phone key.

After leaving the frunk and trunk open for a long time, I couldn't close them electronically. I called the service center and they said it's a timeout function: I just have to manually close them if I left them open too long.

Lucid doesn't have many ADAS features just yet: Only the equivalent free Tesla Autopilot on highways and TACC in city streets. Like Tesla free Autopilot, drivers have to manually change lanes but it's smoother in Lucid and the autosteer would resume in the new lane.

Lucid smart cruise works well for moving obstacles but it doesn't stop for stationary obstacles so like Tesla, it can slam into parked firetrucks as well.

Lucid has taken all the highway curves well but drivers have to manually take over the steering from the exit ramps.

Although less ADAS features, I feel more relaxed in predictable Lucid than unpredictable Tesla.

I don't know when Tesla autosteer would go rouge but Lucid autosteer is very stable on highways.

I don't know when I would get a sudden phantom brake from Tesla but I haven't got one from Lucid.

I can't predict whether Tesla Autolane change would be successful each time but I love Lucid blind spot warnings on the mirrors for my manual lane charge. It helps me to manually drive better. It's opposite with Tesla: I train the machine and hopefully its AI will learn.

I already know that Lucid doesn't stop for stationary obstacles so I can start manually brake instead of waiting to see if the robot will brake this time.

It's about predictable driving and not being pressured into training the AI and testing whether the robot would work this time or not.

Issues are slow to be dealt with could be miscommunication.

Instead of calling Service Centers, some would rely on Delivery Advisors or generic operators to pass the message.

I have not encountered any software or hardware malfunction. Cameras work fine. It even has 360 bird eye view for parking that I use all the time. The screen response with 5G cell signal is much faster than my other Tesla's but those are obsolete 2017 and 2018 LTE so it might not be a good comparison.

Music and phone call Bluetooth have been great with Samsung 9, Note 10, and now, S23 Ultra, since first day of delivery on December.

When Tesla first introduced Bluetooth phone key to the 3, there were lots of complaints that it didn't work well and that prompted Tesla to start selling traditional fobs for the 3 and Y. Same here with Lucid, owners might need to find tune the app permissions, make sure it runs all the time in the background... Free fobs and cards are reliable if they don't want to troubleshoot the phone key.

After leaving the frunk and trunk open for a long time, I couldn't close them electronically. I called the service center and they said it's a timeout function: I just have to manually close them if I left them open too long.

Lucid doesn't have many ADAS features just yet: Only the equivalent free Tesla Autopilot on highways and TACC in city streets. Like Tesla free Autopilot, drivers have to manually change lanes but it's smoother in Lucid and the autosteer would resume in the new lane.

Lucid smart cruise works well for moving obstacles but it doesn't stop for stationary obstacles so like Tesla, it can slam into parked firetrucks as well.

Lucid has taken all the highway curves well but drivers have to manually take over the steering from the exit ramps.

Although less ADAS features, I feel more relaxed in predictable Lucid than unpredictable Tesla.

I don't know when Tesla autosteer would go rouge but Lucid autosteer is very stable on highways.

I don't know when I would get a sudden phantom brake from Tesla but I haven't got one from Lucid.

I can't predict whether Tesla Autolane change would be successful each time but I love Lucid blind spot warnings on the mirrors for my manual lane charge. It helps me to manually drive better. It's opposite with Tesla: I train the machine and hopefully its AI will learn.

I already know that Lucid doesn't stop for stationary obstacles so I can start manually brake instead of waiting to see if the robot will brake this time.

It's about predictable driving and not being pressured into training the AI and testing whether the robot would work this time or not.
Really appreciate your detailed feedback. I placed my order for Touring today. With CarPlay available now, things should be smoother going forward.

• Love
Reactions: jpk195 and JimmyB
I have a refresh Model S LR with 19’s and have a Touring on order. I have test driven the Touring twice now with second time being today. I am still undecided if I will finalize my Lucid order. While I think the Lucid is nice, I am not blown away with it that much more than my Model S. There are pluses/minuses with both cars and I really like both cars.

I think the Lucid suspension is better and drives more like a Euro car. Also - think it handles corners better. It does feel like a heavier car though.

I like the distinctive exterior, but also like my Model S exterior too. I prefer the Model S trunk, as it can hold a lot. The Lucid trunk is just odd, but the frunk is great. Also, like how the frunk is automated and like the Lucid soft close doors.

I love the Model S yoke and touch controls, which make it easier to see the drivers infotainment gauge. I wish Lucid offered a Yoke. I love how Lucid has blind spot video on the drivers infotainment gauge, but then the round steering wheel blocks the view somewhat. Also - not sure I like Lucid’s displays better than the Model S. They don’t seem that well integrated yet and I think the configuration is kind of strange.

Lucid’s wireless charging stinks, so no comparison to Model S, cup holders are just ok, no wireless charging for rear passengers.

Lucid does not have real satellite SiriusXM radio (I travel a lot), but does have AM radio and now offers Carplay, which is an advantage.

Tesla software is way ahead with FSD. With Lucid you have to upgrade to get lane centering, which is a complete ripoff. They don’t even offer automatic lane turning yet, but sure it is coming. In the infotainment view, there is no visual of the cars/pedestrians around you. Seems odd that is lacking for $100k plus car that is supposed to be in the luxury market. Lucid does have a great overhead 360 degree camera view.

One huge Tesla advantage over any non Tesla EV as of today is their Supercharging Network. There is just no comparison. If you travel a lot, that is a huge benefit.

I have many more thoughts, but these are just some of them, while I consider getting a Lucid Touring. 🙂

• Informative
Reactions: SO16 and zoomer0056