Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lucid Air vs Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i agree with all the points you mentioned and have been considering them for a year now. I like the looks of both cars. I plan on keeping Model S. I did confirm my order for Touring yesterday. CarPlay launch sealed it for me. I would want to avoid headaches of car going to a service center repeatedly and/or software glitches Robbing the joy of driving. This will be my daily driver and hence reliability is important for me. Hopefully, I don’t end up becoming an early tester as there are easily over 10k cars on the road now.

Reactions: DBV1
Lucid will survive when they concede the remain shares of the company to the Saudi group and they move it out of the country to make chrome plated versions for the oil Barrons to drive.
Take a test drive and you would know what we all have been missing in Tesla. It will be an engineering tragedy if Lucid does not survive. We should give same support to it as we gave to Tesla for over a decade. And btw, I love my Model S also.

Take a test drive and you would know what we all have been missing in Tesla. It will be an engineering tragedy if Lucid does not survive. We should give same support to it as we gave to Tesla for over a decade. And btw, I love my Model S also.
I didn’t wish them failure nor did I say it was a bad car. What I Don’t want is a car (think Fisker bankruptcy 1 soon to be 2) that the company goes under and you are doomed to no support or parts through ownership along with 0% value selling an obsolete car company product. Their attention to detail is admirable Unless it drags them into bankruptcy which seems to be the path. The stock is Barely hanging on and I do own a fair share.

I’m a year in on owning a lucid grand touring. I had two back to model s performance for 61/2 years and was waiting to pull the trigger on a plaid. I was not a fan of the yoke and was a bit disappointed by the new interior so that’s why I jumped to Lucid. The pros: much more luxurious, far more interior space, better build quality, more exclusive, quieter, drives and rides better. The cons: not as quick, pricey, electrify America is a far cry from teslas supercharging network in function as well as availability. No hatchback, software not as refined. Beta testing on hardware and software.( but that situation is improving )
After 16,000 miles would I do it again? Absolutely. I loved my model Ses but I feel this is Tesla 2.0. Have there been problems? I’ve replaced a door actuator, a trunk latch actuator and the big one a new battery after 13k due to fault codes being thrown. It did not affect how the car drove but lucid being extra cautious gave me a new battery and controller anyway. I can’t fault the service, they are super responsive once you get in the right pipeline. Test drive one, you will be suitably impressed

I didn’t wish them failure nor did I say it was a bad car. What I Don’t want is a car (think Fisker bankruptcy 1 soon to be 2) that the company goes under and you are doomed to no support or parts through ownership along with 0% value selling an obsolete car company product. Their attention to detail is admirable Unless it drags them into bankruptcy which seems to be the path. The stock is Barely hanging on and I do own a fair share.
I understand the caution since it is a big purchase. And yet, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy if people like the car but hesitate buying one because of "what ifs".

I understand the caution since it is a big purchase. And yet, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy if people like the car but hesitate buying one because of "what ifs".
All fair to say but with the announced mass layoff at Lucid to keep funding for the year definitely not looking good. Must also note as they are a client and I have toured the production area often not much has changed regarding increasing volume to some day reach profit. Key to a business growth and success.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg
Another pro for Lucid: I was backing out in a parking lot with a car on my right obstructed that angle and before I noticed there's a speeding car zooming through behind from that angle, the Lucid alarmed and automatically applied brakes to a dead stop to let that car zipped by! I was fast but not that fast:. I heard the alarm so I lifted up my foot from the accelerator and before I could reach the brake pedal, the system applied the brakes even before I eased up the accelerator.

Very nice braking feature without the Tesla Vision phantom brakes.

I do feel safer with the Lucid.

I've driven a Grand Touring and have owned three Teslas, including an S.

One thing to be aware of: the steering wheel doesn't telescope out far enough for some drivers with long legs, and as such, I cannot hold the steering wheel and rest my elbows on either the door or center armrests. I do put my seat almost all the way back and while this hasn't been an issue in the Teslas, it was in the Lucid Air. This would be very uncomfortable on longer drives. (I'm 6'2")

As a counter-point, Dave Connor from the "Out Of Spec Dave" YouTube channel just bought a used Grand Touring and he's 6'5" and hasn't noted it as an issue, so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
drove a grand touring model few months back...

exterior - up close eye catching and cool... far away reminds me of what buick could ve achieved...

interior - this is def a family sedan... i would never ever call shotgun or be the driver... luxury and comfort is in the rear seats... enuff said...

drive - like a tank... horrible dynamics... no where near as smooth as a model s but of course it s much heavier than an ms... but still compared to mx it s horrible...

very nice interior... wow...

Having collected my Air GT yesterday I have to say my experience differs markedly from yours, oldsport - I absolutely adore it so far. Tesla makes great cars, I've loved the ones I've had, and Tesla is currently way ahead on the tech front, but the Lucid is pretty awesome. And it has Apple CarPlay ;)

Reactions: DBV1
Just reviving this post as I have a Pure on order. For the Lucid owners, how is the mobile app and UX (compared to Tesla)?
My wife has an e-tron, and while the drive is absolutely wonderful, the mobile app and UX is absolutely horrendous.
Thanks.

Just reviving this post as I have a Pure on order. For the Lucid owners, how is the mobile app and UX (compared to Tesla)?
My wife has an e-tron, and while the drive is absolutely wonderful, the mobile app and UX is absolutely horrendous.
Thanks.

The UX is good and getting better. I like its simplicity and, as I mentioned above, CarPlay is great. But there are some features I miss from the Tesla - sentry / dashcam in particular. I'm sure these will be added in future software updates. I don't miss the arcade games, video streaming, santa mode, fart noises etc, though. The mobile app is similarly pretty good - the only thing I'd really like them to add is the ability to adjust charging current.

Basically if you go into it with your expectations in line with a young company that's still evolving, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're looking for a Tesla-like experience you'll be disappointed.

I don't find the GT to feel heavy, although I've never driven an e-Tron. People seem to think the Touring and Pure feel lighter and slightly more nimble than the GT and Dream, due to less battery weight. Get behind the wheel and see what you think, I guess.

The UX is good and getting better. I like its simplicity and, as I mentioned above, CarPlay is great. But there are some features I miss from the Tesla - sentry / dashcam in particular. I'm sure these will be added in future software updates. I don't miss the arcade games, video streaming, santa mode, fart noises etc, though. The mobile app is similarly pretty good - the only thing I'd really like them to add is the ability to adjust charging current.

Basically if you go into it with your expectations in line with a young company that's still evolving, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you're looking for a Tesla-like experience you'll be disappointed.

I don't find the GT to feel heavy, although I've never driven an e-Tron. People seem to think the Touring and Pure feel lighter and slightly more nimble than the GT and Dream, due to less battery weight. Get behind the wheel and see what you think, I guess.
I would really like CarPlay, except it is so small in the Lucid. I prefer the Model S display/screens as you have to look down to see Lucid’s bigger screen. Would also miss Tesla dog mode and ability to see your dog inside your Tesla. And really would miss Santa mode, as think that is awesome! Model S wireless charging is so much better. Can’t believe Lucid did theirs like that. Also would really miss the Model S trunk, the Lucid trunks really bad, although the frunk is awesome.

Look wise I think the Model S is more sporty and Lucid is more futuristic from the front. The rear is just ok. Tesla supercharging still trumps everything if you travel a lot. I hope Lucid switches to the Tesla standard like other car manufactures are doing.

...I hope Lucid switches to the Tesla standard like other car manufactures are doing.
Me too but it the CEO Peter Rawlingson wants to emphasize 1,000V charging stations.

Currently, only CCS stations such ad Electrify America can do that in real life.

In the meantime NACS has the specs but there's none built for YouTubers to try out.

Current Superchargers are 400V which is not a problem for 400V cars like Tesla and Ford. However, it is a real problem for 800V cars like Lucid and Hyundai: Lucid's 350 kW charge rate is slowed down to 50 kW at a 400V stations like Supercharger. That's slower than Urban Supercharger: 72 kW for 400V cars.

NEVI funding requires 920V stations so I expect Tesla will roll out V4 Superchargers with 1,000V when it gets the money.

Rawlingson says it's just a plug so he might try to say “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

To me, the smaller and lighter plug that looks better in NACS is also important for consumers.

Bulky, heavy, and ugly CCS plug might has the best engineering but it's look would turn some consumers away.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Yah, I really wish Lucid has Sentry mode, but hopefully that can be a relatively easy OTA update.

Do you know if there's the ability to control temperature, view GPS location, etc. all through the app like Telsa?

Also, as JimmyB stated, there's not an option to control SOC %?

A lot of questions can be answered with a test drive (which I've done), but the whole UX, app features, etc., I just can't find too any YT videos or intel on that. The sales advisor from Lucid isn't particular too knowledgeable on that aspect.

Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Yah, I really wish Lucid has Sentry mode, but hopefully that can be a relatively easy OTA update.
Correct.
Do you know if there's the ability to control temperature, view GPS location, etc. all through the app like Telsa?
Yes. You can see where your Lucid is on the map, just like the Tesla app. You can also send an address to Lucid remotely without being in the car just like Tesla can.

Basic function on main page below:
Ti0WEiQ.jpg

Also, as JimmyB stated, there's not an option to control SOC %?
Yes. There is an option to control the SOC on both the car and the phone:

It was on 100% and I use the phone slider to bring it down to 80%

YBjCRFg.jpg

The charge is at 64% and use the slider to bring it down to 50%

C2sWtb2.jpg

The sales advisor from Lucid isn't particular too knowledgeable on that aspect.
Please do ask more questions here.

• Helpful
Reactions: dmh444
NEVI funding requires 920V stations so I expect Tesla will roll out V4 Superchargers with 1,000V when it gets the money.
If Tesla gets any NEVI funding. I haven't seen that they have even applied for in any state/territory yet. (For example, in Oregon there are only going to be 3 contracts for the first year, and there are already more than 30 companies applying for a chance at them. Tesla is not one of those companies yet. They have less than 2 weeks left to apply if they want to try to get one, or more, of those 3 contracts. Other states may grant more smaller contracts, giving a higher probability of getting less money, but I haven't dug into the details of how other states are running their NEVI program.)

And of course NEVI money can only be spent on new installs/upgrades, at specific locations along specific routes. So, it isn't like they could use the money to upgrade the existing Supercharger network.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam