Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode for P3D+ only or P3D- inclusive?

Do you think Ludicrous Mode is only for P3D+?

• Yes, it will be only for P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • No, it will be for both P3D+ AND P3D- (Including non-Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • No, it will be for all P3D AND all AWDs (Non Performance Dual Motors) by future software unlocking

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ludicrous Mode will NOT exist for Model 3 despite Elon's tweet.

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True... nothing says it’s free... that assumption could end up being as disasterous as everyone who thinks they deserve it because they have a P-.
However, I don’t think there would be a high take rate unless it was pretty inexpensive... Ludicrous on the other hand could come with a premium and people would stretch.

I don't think it can be disastrous either way. If it's an add-on, no one lost anything they didn't already have (how many people have decided to buy a P+ because of track mode? I didn't even know about it when I configured my car).

On the other hand, it's free for P+ cars, great for them (makes that $5,000 premium just a little sweeter) no one else is losing out, because again they didn't have it in the first place.

I have 19" OEM tires and rims on the car, something available to all non-P cars (why??).

I assume because originally the P3D (before the +/-) they all came with the 20" wheels and the 19" wheels wouldn't fit. Then after all of the complaining they broke the package up and offered the 18" Aeros with the non-performance brakes. As for why the P3D- doesn't have an option for 19" wheels, my guess is that they were just simplifying the build options...

Reactions: MXWing
I don't think it can be disastrous either way. If it's an add-on, no one lost anything they didn't already have (how many people have decided to buy a P+ because of track mode? I didn't even know about it when I configured my car).

On the other hand, it's free for P+ cars, great for them (makes that $5,000 premium just a little sweeter) no one else is losing out, because again they didn't have it in the first place.

I asked this earlier, apparently it's not free for P+ car and you have to pay a premium but you're saying otherwise?

So what is it?!o_O

I asked this earlier, apparently it's not free for P+ car and you have to pay a premium but you're saying otherwise?

So what is it?!o_O

No one knows as nothing has been announced.

If I were to theorize it would be a small charge for 3P+ depending on the amount of work involved.

It would be a bigger charge for 3P- since 3P+ already paid $5,000 more to check all the boxes.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Lots of people didn't buy P3+ because you didn't get "enough" for the $5K.

If Ludicrous path was a benefit of that premium, wouldn't that solve the issue of not getting enough?

Track Mode was announced to come to P3+ only. P3- owners revolted, so Elon says there will be an upgrade path for P- to P+.

Taking it all in, its logical it would be attached to P3+.

I could be wrong of course - but just trying to analyze it objectively.
Maybe, but I think the P+ package is a fair deal. The rims alone take the brunt of it.

I don't think it makes sense to attach ludicrous mode to a wheel/break package, but it is certainly possible that they do it for income reasons.

That said, ludicrous mode won't be free I don't think and I'd have to bet against it happening at all.

So what is it?!o_O

I'm not saying otherwise, no one knows, including me! People will complain whatever happens but I don't think there's really a valid reason to complain unless all AWD cars get ludicrous mode which takes away the differentiation between AWD, P- and P+ because then those who paid more for a more performant car, did so for no reason.

No one knows as nothing has been announced.

If I where to theorize it would be a small charge for 3P+ depending on the amount of work involved.

It would be a bigger charge for 3P- since 3P+ already paid $5,000 more to check all the boxes.

Agreed.

Part of the justification I think Tesla has for saying a potential ludicrous upgrade (this is all conjecture as nothing has been confirmed), is that the P3D- is traction limited already.

I hate the range hit of the 20" tires and really want to swap to 18" LRR tires. However upon watching Tesla's history for the Performance variant (how there was originally 1 model and they broke up the trim into the optional PUO) , and how they treated the Track Mode upgrade, I decided to splurge for the upgrade package at the end just so I might to cash in on future upgrades (this same logic is why I plunked down the $3k for FSD).

If not I can say and rightly shake a stick at Tesla in anger, in saying I didn't skimp on my upgrade options. Of course I'd still buy their next car if I had cash for it....because they truly have no real competitor.

Reactions: MXWing
Lots of people didn't buy P3+ because you didn't get "enough" for the $5K.

I would not say you didn't get enough for the 5K just that you got the wrong stuff. People who truly want performance would get lighter wider forged wheels, better aftermarket rotors and brakes and better suspension anyway. So there was no need to buy 5K worth of inferior throw away stuff.

Taking it all in, its logical it would be attached to P3+.

I don't see the logic. This assumes that the P+ additions are the end all to performance. They are not. I bought the P- because I wanted to build a car with aftermarket upgrades better than the P+. And saw it pointless to buy inferior parts to be thrown away.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I would not say you didn't get enough for the 5K just that you got the wrong stuff. People who truly want performance would get lighter wider forged wheels, better aftermarket rotors and brakes and better suspension anyway. So there was no need to buy 5K worth of inferior throw away stuff.

I didn't order premium upgrade package for the Model X as the HEPA/Bio Defense mode was available a la carte.

That's the only thing I wanted and that's what everyone else wanted.

People stopped ordering premium upgrade package, and were gloating here on TMC about saving so much money.

One week later.... standalone Bio Defense Upgrade was off the menu.

Tesla wanted the whole 5K for the most desirable feature.

While we know its inferior throw away stuff, a possible explanation is simply "We need profits, pay to play."

Reactions: P85_DA
I didn't order premium upgrade package for the Model X as the HEPA/Bio Defense mode was available a la carte.

That's the only thing I wanted and that's what everyone else wanted.

People stopped ordering premium upgrade package, and were gloating here on TMC about saving so much money.

One week later.... standalone Bio Defense Upgrade was off the menu.

Tesla wanted the whole 5K for the most desirable feature.

While we know its inferior throw away stuff, a possible explanation is simply "We need profits, pay to play."
Well, I guess I don't want track mode that bad then. I'll just get an aftermarket computer defeat system from MPP that will do the same thing.

Track mode is more than disabling stability control. It kicks up thermal management and increases regen on the front motor to 0.3 g among other things.
I am sure in time aftermarket electronics will be able to do all that. All you have to do is monitor the CAN bus and sniff the messages being sent then you can duplicate them with third party hardware (unless they encrypt and authenticate which I don't think they do, due to overhead).

I went for the P3D+ partly because I wanted to maintain my factory warranty on all of my components. Track mode is what pushed me over the edge, and I seriously doubt a fully defeated TC system will ever be as good as factory integration of track mode.

If MPP decides to move in a different direction, how easy will it be to get replacement rotors for instance if not from them?

I hope ludicrous mode comes to both models, but wouldn't be surprised if it was extra $$ to get it on the P3D-

To anyone that opted for the P3D- on the effort to upgrade parts yourself - that’s great.

Tesla assumes none of this, Tesla isn’t going to test your cars aftermarket parts to see if they meet spec, and with Track Mode confirmed for P3D+ only - I don’t know why anyone would, being honest with themselves, think P3D- would get Ludricous. Assuming Ludricous ever even ends up being a thing on the 3 on the first few year production runs.

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.

Reactions: chr147 and MP3Mike
To anyone that opted for the P3D- on the effort to upgrade parts yourself - that’s great.

Tesla assumes none of this, Tesla isn’t going to test your cars aftermarket parts to see if they meet spec, and with Track Mode confirmed for P3D+ only - I don’t know why anyone would, being honest with themselves, think P3D- would get Ludricous. Assuming Ludricous ever even ends up being a thing on the 3 on the first few year production runs.

Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
I don't see why P3D- wouldn't get Ludicrous because it is just more power to the drive train so more acceleration. This does not require better brakes nor larger wheels. And if you say that it requires Michelin P4S tires then is Tesla going to check if a P3D+ kept that tire spec after getting new tires?

I don't see why P3D- wouldn't get Ludicrous because it is just more power to the drive train so more acceleration. This does not require better brakes nor larger wheels. And if you say that it requires Michelin P4S tires then is Tesla going to check if a P3D+ kept that tire spec after getting new tires?

This idea that the Model 3 is traction limited is not supported by the fact that P3D- are achieving 11.7x 1/4 mile times.

Assuming all that's needed is a software change... At the right price, Tesla would be foolish not to enable Ludicrous on both P3D models.

On the one hand, sure.

On the other hand, since they've already said they will offer a not-free way to upgrade the P3D- to P3D+ to enable track mode, if they limit Ludicrous to P3D+ only then they get double the money out of it from such owners.

I mean- there's 0 practical reason for Ludicrous, and historically Tesla charges an obscene amount for it, so why wouldn't they look to double-dip on the P3D- owners here? And it'll even seem like a better value since you'd get that AND track mode!

I don't see why P3D- wouldn't get Ludicrous because it is just more power to the drive train so more acceleration.

Well, if we consider for a moment that some P3D- cars are being accidentally delivered as AWD then switched via software and if we believe Elon's comments on twitter about bin sorting then it's possible only P3D+ drive units are the top sorted models.

The performance package name would also make more sense if purchasing it really does increase performance beyond just top speed.

When I made my purchase decision I fully assumed that, if there's a ludicrous upgrade, it'd only be for P3D+ owners. I'm hoping the magic acceleration unlock will happen with Track Mode.

Reactions: skrtskrt