Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode for P3D+ only or P3D- inclusive?

Do you think Ludicrous Mode is only for P3D+?

• Yes, it will be only for P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • No, it will be for both P3D+ AND P3D- (Including non-Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • No, it will be for all P3D AND all AWDs (Non Performance Dual Motors) by future software unlocking

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ludicrous Mode will NOT exist for Model 3 despite Elon's tweet.

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if we consider for a moment that some P3D- cars are being accidentally delivered as AWD then switched via software and if we believe Elon's comments on twitter about bin sorting then it's possible only P3D+ drive units are the top sorted models.

That's certainly my theory. I think the alternative theory is the reason some P3D- cars are getting the wrong software is it's impossible to tell from the outside between the two, and it's more likely the wrong software was loaded through human error in the first place. With a P3D+ you can't really mistake it for a standard AWD.

The performance package name would also make more sense if purchasing it really does increase performance beyond just top speed.

When I made my purchase decision I fully assumed that, if there's a ludicrous upgrade, it'd only be for P3D+ owners. I'm hoping the magic acceleration unlock will happen with Track Mode.

Ditto... but as a live and let live kinda guy, I would not begrudge any M3 owner getting speed bumps later on, for a fee.

Well, if we consider for a moment that some P3D- cars are being accidentally delivered as AWD then switched via software and if we believe Elon's comments on twitter about bin sorting then it's possible only P3D+ drive units are the top sorted models.

Or it's possible the binning makes absolutely 0 difference to being capable of being a P (since there's literally no acceleration difference between the + and - after all) and the only thing binning does is give them a marketing blurb and, maybe, save them a couple percent of margin on warranty claims.

Or it's possible the binning makes absolutely 0 difference to being capable of being a P (since there's literally no acceleration difference between the + and - after all) and the only thing binning does is give them a marketing blurb and, maybe, save them a couple percent of margin on warranty claims.

Or provides enough redundancy/margin that future software updates can utilize it.

Another thought. Right now we are seeing a mass market test of the P3Ds. It is certainly possible that Tesla is monitoring our cars for repair and performance issues and if we fall under certain metrics as a group they could offer a free/paid for performance bump.

I don't know why they would release it for free. Maybe 2019 models have it included and 2018 have to pay a couple grand. (I know we don't technically have model years) Certainly as competitors ramp up their own performance numbers year over year the P3D will have to see something.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
My bet is only software limited. No difference in hardware until you opt for the P3D+ and that is only different because of the 5K upgrade. Same dual motor with the same ability. That is most likely since there are multiple incidences of people getting AWD with last-minute software upgrade when they ordered P3D-.

My bet is only software limited. No difference in hardware until you opt for the P3D+ and that is only different because of the 5K upgrade. Same dual motor with the same ability. That is most likely since there are multiple incidences of people getting AWD with last-minute software upgrade when they ordered P3D-.

I sure hope not. What was the reason for the 10k price jump over the AWD?

Software unlock and implied warranty. Faster acceleration, track mode, etc. are bound to stress/wear the car more, possibly resulting in more warranty needs. Perhaps factoring a drive unit possible replacement cost.
That would suck if the software unlocks only and not designed to withstand the new level of stress that the Performance acceleration will cause. It means we paid more for the acceleration and will likely not last long as the AWD nonperformance version. If they need to increase cost for more motor replacement during the short warranty period, then we are screwed that the performance car will be more likely to break down after the warranty period. I paid more for the performance hoping that I will enjoy the performance just as long as other standard AWD models.

That would suck if the software unlocks only and not designed to withstand the new level of stress that the Performance acceleration will cause. It means we paid more for the acceleration and will likely not last long as the AWD nonperformance version. If they need to increase cost for more motor replacement during the short warranty period, then we are screwed that the performance car will be more likely to break down after the warranty period. I paid more for the performance hoping that I will enjoy the performance just as long as other standard AWD models.

8 years/125,000 miles is short?

Because that's how long the motor warranty is.

Many companies have 10 year warranties on their drivetrains.

If by "many" you mean basically one- sure.

Kia/Hyundai/Genesis is 10 years/100k miles (versus 8 years and 125k on the Model 3, and 8 years unlimited miles on the S/X)

Oh, I guess technically Mitsubishi is 10/100k too... they only sell one tiny car in the US though.

Everyone else in the industry other than Tesla is 4-6 years and typically 50-70k miles.

If by "many" you mean basically one- sure.

Kia/Hyundai/Genesis is 10 years/100k miles (versus 8 years and 125k on the Model 3, and 8 years unlimited miles on the S/X)

Oh, I guess technically Mitsubishi is 10/100k too... they only sell one tiny car in the US though.

Everyone else in the industry other than Tesla is 4-6 years and typically 50-70k miles.
Still I wish Tesla decided to simply outclass everyone in both time and distance to demonstrate EVs are superior. It was cool that Model S/X was changed to unlimited miles, but then Model 3 came out and they decided to abandon that.

Still I wish Tesla decided to simply outclass everyone in both time and distance to demonstrate EVs are superior. It was cool that Model S/X was changed to unlimited miles, but then Model 3 came out and they decided to abandon that.

In theory Tesla may be able to take the risk as there are several 300K+ miles of Model S still running like a champ.
But with the small data, it is too early for Tesla to take a risk. Maybe with more data available, Tesla may one day change it to unlimited miles warranty on drivetrain. This may be less likely to happen and may be against the Tesla's own interest, but anything can happen in the coming years with so many variables and competition in EV's arise.

So we now know that track mode is only for P3D+. (as of 8/31/2018)

Based on Elon's twitter, ludicrous mode is likely to happen.

We don't know when but if it comes, do you think it will be exclusive to P3D+ or will include all P3D-.

Let's speculate until the release.

I think this needs to be revisited now that the P3D includes the PUP for free and Elon has stated track mode will go to all P3Ds.
Given these, it seems that P3D- will get Ludicrous too if it happens. As a P3D- owner that would make happy. :)

Reactions: Maximilien
I think this needs to be revisited now that the P3D includes the PUP for free and Elon has stated track mode will go to all P3Ds.
Given these, it seems that P3D- will get Ludicrous too if it happens. As a P3D- owner that would make happy. :)

Yes, up until Tesla announced track mode will be for PUP people, we thought P3D- would not get Ludi mode. But now Elon tweeted P3D- get one, it is very likely all Performance get one.

The question is how much will Tesla charge?

Yes, up until Tesla announced track mode will be for PUP people, we thought P3D- would not get Ludi mode. But now Elon tweeted P3D- get one, it is very likely all Performance get one.

The question is how much will Tesla charge?

I propose 5k for new P3Ds and free to existing owners ;) That would be an elegant solution to the uproar over the pricing change and add another high margin SW only option to the P3D. Tesla, if you are reading this you can thank me for this awesome idea by pushing Ludicrous to my car.

I propose 5k for new P3Ds and free to existing owners ;) That would be an elegant solution to the uproar over the pricing change and add another high margin SW only option to the P3D. Tesla, if you are reading this you can thank me for this awesome idea by pushing Ludicrous to my car.

That's exactly what I thought. It would have been better for Tesla if it just announced the SW upgrade for Ludicrous Mode free for early adopters. This way, the backlash would have been minimal. This way, Tesla doesn't have to tap on Profit from Q3. Or at least 5K credit toward the future purchase.

I am thinking that Ludicrous Mode is not fully working/tested; so maybe Tesla can't say about it.

I wonder if Elon is regretting about refunding 5K. I hope he is ok.