Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Mode for P3D+ only or P3D- inclusive?

Do you think Ludicrous Mode is only for P3D+?

• Yes, it will be only for P3D+ (Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 78 51.7%
  • No, it will be for both P3D+ AND P3D- (Including non-Performance Upgrade Package)

Votes: 33 21.9%
  • No, it will be for all P3D AND all AWDs (Non Performance Dual Motors) by future software unlocking

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Ludicrous Mode will NOT exist for Model 3 despite Elon's tweet.

Votes: 35 23.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you’re talking about a nifty new feature called Track Mode! Tesla is now selling it for 5000 bucks... does all the stuff you wanted! And it comes with 20’s, better tires and better brakes for free.

I've seen people imply that Track Mode will come for free with P+, but I haven't seen that information. All I've seen is Tesla's tweet that said Track Mode will be "available" with P+. "Available" could mean any number of things including free or available for an extra fee. Is there a link saying it's going to be free?

I've seen people imply that Track Mode will come for free with P+, but I haven't seen that information. All I've seen is Tesla's tweet that said Track Mode will be "available" with P+. "Available" could mean any number of things including free or available for an extra fee. Is there a link saying it's going to be free?

True... nothing says it’s free... that assumption could end up being as disasterous as everyone who thinks they deserve it because they have a P-.
However, I don’t think there would be a high take rate unless it was pretty inexpensive... Ludicrous on the other hand could come with a premium and people would stretch.

I think it's totally reasonable to ask for the ability to disable traction and stability control. I wish they would have done that for the Model S AWD flavors as well. I don't hold much hope they'll do that for S, but now is the right time to ask politely for Tesla to offer it for the entire spectrum of Model 3. If you feel strongly, give Tesla the feedback directly. I wouldn't recommend calling it Track Mode, as that refers to a feature offering that means more.

As for cooling, I suspect the cooling tweaks related to Track Mode have potential warranty impact that Tesla considers baked into the premium pricing so I'm not optimistic requests for that down the Model 3 line will yield much fruit.
Heck, they could release track mode and if there is really an engineering/warranty/safety concern just limit that function to PUP vehicles. "due to caliper sizing we can't give you upgraded regen (random example) but you can still disable traction etc. "

Heck, they could release track mode and if there is really an engineering/warranty/safety concern just limit that function to PUP vehicles. "due to caliper sizing we can't give you upgraded regen (random example) but you can still disable traction etc. "
That would be a good strategy. I dunno if they'll get that smart about it though.

I would say that it would be smarter move for Tesla to be upfront even right now about Ludicrous Mode before the order of P3D- orders grow.

Resent will only grow as time passes.

Things will get uglier if they pull that upgrade for P3D+ only. It's gamble like everyone said.

With more EV's in the market, unfortunately, buyers can cross shop and can hurt Tesla sales either directly or indirectly. I hope they learn that the market is different from 2012.

I would say that it would be smarter move for Tesla to be upfront even right now about Ludicrous Mode before the order of P3D- orders grow.

Resent will only grow as time passes.

Things will get uglier if they pull that upgrade for P3D+ only. It's gamble like everyone said.

With more EV's in the market, unfortunately, buyers can cross shop and can hurt Tesla sales either directly or indirectly. I hope they learn that the market is different from 2012.

in all fairness, ludicrous may not be available on any of our current cars +or-.

Reactions: SomeJoe7777
I wonder how the early adopters will react when that happens. LOL

Oh, wait.., I am included too. :(
I don't know how any of us could be upset if our car's just physically aren't capable. I bought a car advertised as 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. If they start offering P3ds with batteries that can output 10% more and hit 3 seconds that's the same as any other car company increasing HP in the model year after your purchase.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
As someone that has a P3D- on order, I am annoyed but not canceling. It pisses me off, but I know I do not want he 20” wheels and tires that cannot be used in temps <40F. If not for fear of further delaying my order, I would likely drop back down to the AWD (non-p) Model. I’m paying nearly 90% of the price premium for the performance variant, but will apparently, not be treated as well as those that shelled out another 5k.

Historically in the past when owners bought P85D or P90D was ludicrous an option yet? If ludicrous became an option afterwards, did you guys have to pay for it? I guess what I'm actually asking is for P3D+ owners would we have to pay in the future for L?

Historically in the past when owners bought P85D or P90D was ludicrous an option yet? If ludicrous became an option afterwards, did you guys have to pay for it? I guess what I'm actually asking is for P3D+ owners would we have to pay in the future for L?

P85D had to pay for retrofit for the short time it was offered.

Yes P3+ would need to pay.

P3- probably has to spec up to P3+ first.

I hope you are wrong about this - I don't see the need for larger rims or brakes to increase the 0-60 (or whatever times) - perhaps tires but that even seems a stretch.

Lots of people didn't buy P3+ because you didn't get "enough" for the $5K.

If Ludicrous path was a benefit of that premium, wouldn't that solve the issue of not getting enough?

Track Mode was announced to come to P3+ only. P3- owners revolted, so Elon says there will be an upgrade path for P- to P+.

Taking it all in, its logical it would be attached to P3+.

I could be wrong of course - but just trying to analyze it objectively.

Reactions: MP3Mike
What's retrofit? And how much?

Are you asking about the Model S P85D retrofit to add ludicrous mode? It was only offered for a limited time, though longer than they originally said it would be, and I recall it was $5k if you purchased your P85D before ludicrous mode was announced and $10k if purchased after. (It was essentially just replacing the contactors inside the battery pack and updating the software.)

Lots of people didn't buy P3+ because you didn't get "enough" for the $5K.

I didn't get it very specifically because I did not want 20"rims and I didn't want to give up the range from the 'track oriented' tires. I did trade out the 18" all season because those also didn't fit what I wanted - a reasonable compromise between tire performance, range, and aesthetics (which of course is very personal).

I have 19" OEM tires and rims on the car, something available to all non-P cars (why??). I see no reason they wouldn't support greater acceleration, even the 18 aeros would - if they started to slip the system would pull power anyway..

Edit - btw I wouldn't expect it to be a free upgrade..

Reactions: MXWing