Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Plus Widget

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping the community can help me out with this...

When watching YouTube or seeing others enable Ludicrous Plus and push their car to the limits, I often see them have a display that looks like this:

Tesla_Ludicrous_plus_screen-580x244.png

On my 2017 P100D, I do get the energy meter to look like the one on the right, where battery temperature is displayed so you know when the launch mode is at its peak ability. But, I can never find the widget on left that shows other battery, motor and g-force values. I tried searching in all available widgets but can't seem to find it. So either I am blind and am missing it, or maybe it was removed in an update at some point?

Any ideas?

To see that widget, you must wait until the battery heats up to the 50c temperature. It won’t appear until then.

I have a 2016 P90DL, but can’t get either the gauge or the temperature on the left side. Am I doing something wrong? What I notice is that when I hold the ludicrous + mode, the screen does the warp speed and then just asks me to turn on Max Battery, which is already on and headed up all the way at this point. I have never received the “I want my Mommy” choice. Is that suppose to show up all the time? Thanks!

I have a 2016 P90DL, but can’t get either the gauge or the temperature on the left side. Am I doing something wrong? What I notice is that when I hold the ludicrous + mode, the screen does the warp speed and then just asks me to turn on Max Battery, which is already on and headed up all the way at this point. I have never received the “I want my Mommy” choice. Is that suppose to show up all the time? Thanks!
Ohh. I think you only those with Ludicrous + which is only available for the P100D and not the P90DL.

In my new S Performance I can enable Ludicrous+ as an “acceleration” menu item under the Driving menu. I can also access something different under the easter eggs menu and there I get the “I want my mommy” warming.

What’s the difference?

Ludicrous+ acceleration mode only turns on the battery heater (no visual changes in the IC). The "warp" easter egg (I want my mommy mode) turns on both the battery heater and enables the Launch mode. In Launch mode, you will see a purple bar showing the temp in the IC, and when the battery is heated up to 50 degrees C, the energy meter should appear.

Ludicrous+ acceleration mode only turns on the battery heater (no visual changes in the IC). The "warp" easter egg (I want my mommy mode) turns on both the battery heater and enables the Launch mode. In Launch mode, you will see a purple bar showing the temp in the IC, and when the battery is heated up to 50 degrees C, the energy meter should appear.

Sorry, just confirming one last time. I do get launch mode, but I do nott have the purple bar and the energy meter in my 2016 P90DL. Is it only on P100Ds and newer Performance models? Thanks!

There are two Ludicrous+ options.

Under the Driving Settings, there is a Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ option. This was originally Max Battery, but Tesla decided to call it Ludicrous +. This allows you to do Launches.

On the P100D, there is a secondary Ludicrous+, which is the star warp drive screen, which then prompts you with the mommy question. This one also displays the battery temperature as well as the technical specs on the left side on the IC. This Ludicrous+ is only available to date P100D.

On the P100D, there is a secondary Ludicrous+, which is the star warp drive screen, which then prompts you with the mommy question. This one also displays the battery temperature as well as the technical specs on the left side on the IC. This Ludicrous+ is only available to date P100D.

Ah ha, that explains why I haven't seen the dash widget. All Ludicrous+ modes are not created equal.

I wish they'd make Launch mode easier to actually practically use. Once we've going through the easter egg and confirmation dialog, do we really need to do a silly pedal dance just to use it? It's not like we got their accidentally. Once in that mode, you should just need to mash the brake all the way down, then accelerator all the way down, then release brake to launch. It takes too long to do the brake down, accel down, accel up, wait for confirmation, accel down, then you're finally ready to launch. By then the staging light has turned green and the other car is already launched! Two two times I tried to use it in a short-track drag race, I didn't have enough time, or it didn't properly enter the mode, and I launched late and lose the race. Fortunately, I still won the bracket and overall that night, but I didn't use launch mode and therefore could have gone faster (and the final races were really close!).

I wish they'd make Launch mode easier to actually practically use. Once we've going through the easter egg and confirmation dialog, do we really need to do a silly pedal dance just to use it? It's not like we got their accidentally. Once in that mode, you should just need to mash the brake all the way down, then accelerator all the way down, then release brake to launch. It takes too long to do the brake down, accel down, accel up, wait for confirmation, accel down, then you're finally ready to launch. By then the staging light has turned green and the other car is already launched! Two two times I tried to use it in a short-track drag race, I didn't have enough time, or it didn't properly enter the mode, and I launched late and lose the race. Fortunately, I still won the bracket and overall that night, but I didn't use launch mode and therefore could have gone faster (and the final races were really close!).

The pedal sequence is pretty typical for any kind of car doing a built-in launch mode. I know for ICE, the purpose is to actually have a mode which will allow the engine to come to an optimal RPM prior to launch. I wonder if Tesla has a similar approach. Obviously RPM is not the issue here, but now you are stressing my mechanical understanding of the Tesla motors and what benefit there may be to pre-energization to help maximize launch speed.

Mine acts the exact same way. I never get the battery display or energy usage display. Seems like something with this particular model but I find that hard to believe.

I let the battery fully warm up and use the star screen to enable Ludicrous+. I have never seen the ask mommy dialog. I have a mobile service scheduled for this Thursday and will ask about it then. I'll update this thread afterwards.

Mine acts the exact same way. I never get the battery display or energy usage display. Seems like something with this particular model but I find that hard to believe.

I let the battery fully warm up and use the star screen to enable Ludicrous+. I have never seen the ask mommy dialog. I have a mobile service scheduled for this Thursday and will ask about it then. I'll update this thread afterwards.

The Mommy prompt is ONLY for the P100D.

Here's the quick summary.

P85D/P90D - There is a single Ludicrous + Acceleration Mode which is really just Max Battery. You don't get the Mommy Prompt or the additional telemetry widget.

P100D - In addition to the Ludicrous + Acceleration Mode, there is a Ludicrous Easter egg (the space field screen) that will also give you the Mommy Prompt. This is the actual Ludicrous + mode that puts extra stress on your BMS, Drive Units and HV Pack as the Mommy prompt indicates. This mode also shows you the additional telemetry on the left side of your Instrument Cluster with a new widget which goes away once you turn off either of the two Ludicrous + modes (the Easter egg or the Acceleration Mode one).

Note: You only see the additional Telemetry widget once your battery heats up to the optional level.

The Mommy prompt is ONLY for the P100D.

Here's the quick summary.

P85D/P90D - There is a single Ludicrous + Acceleration Mode which is really just Max Battery. You don't get the Mommy Prompt or the additional telemetry widget.

P100D - In addition to the Ludicrous + Acceleration Mode, there is a Ludicrous Easter egg (the space field screen) that will also give you the Mommy Prompt. This is the actual Ludicrous + mode that puts extra stress on your BMS, Drive Units and HV Pack as the Mommy prompt indicates. This mode also shows you the additional telemetry on the left side of your Instrument Cluster with a new widget which goes away once you turn off either of the two Ludicrous + modes (the Easter egg or the Acceleration Mode one).

Note: You only see the additional Telemetry widget once your battery heats up to the optional level.

I do have the space field easter egg on my P90D. It takes me to the Max Battery dialog after the stars go shooting by. Seems you are right about the mommy prompt/widgets, I've never had those appear, even after the battery shows Ready and doing multiple launches. I'll ask service about it on Thursday.

Reactions: zanary

I agree. I wish when you're in luda + mode you could just mash both pedals then release brake or activate a button on the steering wheel to be a brake hold. That would be nice.
However, I have not had the process hinder me when drag racing. I think it messed me up like once or twice. As soon as the both lights are lit on each lane I start the process and I cut .05 and .1 R/Ts. Making it easier would be welcome though.

Last edited: