Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they going to be shutting off the upgrade option in a couple of weeks once we hit the six month deadline? That would be pretty unreasonable as they haven't done a material number of upgrades. Hopefully that six months is actually "Musk months" which are very different than astronomical months.

Are they going to be shutting off the upgrade option in a couple of weeks once we hit the six month deadline? That would be pretty unreasonable as they haven't done a material number of upgrades. Hopefully that six months is actually "Musk months" which are very different than astronomical months.

That's a very good question.

Yesterday I wrote to the address on the order form on the website, to ask what the cut off date for ordering was, and if the list of SC's where the update could be done was available yet. I was told the list was not yet available, and that they did not know how long the update would be available at the Musk six-month pricing.

I responded, saying that I was concerned about making a non-refundable deposit without knowing where I could get the work done, since I live quite a distance from any service center. I asked if I made the deposit and then found that there was no convenient service center performing the update, would the deposit be refunded.

I received a response saying that the list of Service Centers performing the updates should be out by the end of the month, and that if I was concerned I should wait.

I responded to ask if I would have any assurance that I would still be able to order at that time, since a previous response had stated that they did not know when the offer would end. I pointed out that six months from the date Elon Musk made the announcement would be January 17, which is well before "the end of the month."

I have not received a reply to my most recent response.

That's a very good question.

Yesterday I wrote to the address on the order form on the website, to ask what the cut off date for ordering was, and if the list of SC's where the update could be done was available yet. I was told the list was not yet available, and that they did not know how long the update would be available at the Musk six-month pricing.

I responded, saying that I was concerned about making a non-refundable deposit without knowing where I could get the work done, since I live quite a distance from any service center. I asked if I made the deposit and then found that there was no convenient service center performing the update, would the deposit be refunded.

I received a response saying that the list of Service Centers performing the updates should be out by the end of the month, and that if I was concerned I should wait.

I responded to ask if I would have any assurance that I would still be able to order at that time, since a previous response had stated that they did not know when the offer would end. I pointed out that six months from the date Elon Musk made the announcement would be January 17, which is well before "the end of the month."

I have not received a reply to my most recent response.

I had a similar exchange with the online ordering team, but it doesn't sound like they had any clear answers for me. Their latest two responses to me are quoted below.

So, I just placed my deposit in mid-December with the expectation that Tesla would honor the upgrade no matter how late it may occur, else I would get my deposit back - even though it states it's nonrefundable. Tesla refusing to do the upgrade will most definitely result in getting my refund, else they'd have some serious legal issues.

Anyway without clear answers on the timing of the deadlines, I simply did not want to get in the unfortunate situation where I wanted the upgrade but couldn't order it because of the seemingly arbitrary cut-off timeframe. I highly recommend placing your deposit now, assuming you have already made the decision that you do want the upgrade.

(from 12/14/2015)

Hello Marc,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, we do not have information in regards to a cut off time to place a deposit for the Ludicrous Retrofit.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best,

http://shop.teslamotors.com

p 510.896.6412 | e [email protected]

(from 12/29/2015)

Hi Marc,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. Ludicrous Retrofits have begun at Fremont Service. A team member from Fremont Service will contact you to arrange the service appointment. Unfortunately, we do not have timing updates to provide at this time.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Best,
Laura

http://shop.teslamotors.com

p 510.896.6412 | e [email protected]

I had a similar exchange with the online ordering team, but it doesn't sound like they had any clear answers for me. Their latest two responses to me are quoted below.

So, I just placed my deposit in mid-December with the expectation that Tesla would honor the upgrade no matter how late it may occur, else I would get my deposit back - even though it states it's nonrefundable. Tesla refusing to do the upgrade will most definitely result in getting my refund, else they'd have some serious legal issues.

Anyway without clear answers on the timing of the deadlines, I simply did not want to get in the unfortunate situation where I wanted the upgrade but couldn't order it because of the seemingly arbitrary cut-off timeframe. I highly recommend placing your deposit now, assuming you have already made the decision that you do want the upgrade.

I will probably go ahead and make the deposit.

It's frustrating that Tesla can't see what a lousy statement it is making to their best customers to say:

"make a non-refundable deposit on this thing that we can't say when we'll give you and we can't say where we'll give you, but you have to come get it, and you'll have to leave your car several days in order to get it."

That in and of itself is ludicrous.

"make a non-refundable deposit on this thing that we can't say when we'll give you and we can't say where we'll give you, but you have to come get it, and you'll have to leave your car several days in order to get it."

I genuinely believe they don't want to say whether the 6mo gets extended because they need a good count. Fence sitters, if techs have to fly around, make this an especially uneconomic exercise.

My suspicion is Ludicrous is about to become a $5k upgrade, for existing P90D (by software only), and that newer P90D will simply begin coming with it before the end of the year. I dunno, though, because I really don't think Model S is going to accelerate any faster, and suppose they could also freeze the premium. Regular OEMs would do this, but Musk/Tesla have been good about pushing out improvements without keeping anything hostage (once they're ready).

Just got back from again dropping my P85D off at the the Tyson's Corner, VA service center for the Ludicrous upgrade (my 2nd attempt after last week's no-show by the CA techs), and I was told once again the techs from CA haven't arrived! :mad: There's still a chance they'll show up today and my car will be modified, but the local customer service people were uncertain (and frustrated) by this. So LetsGoFast, you may have had your car flatbedded to the DC area for naught, and the other 3 people scheduled this week may also be disappointed.

Let's hope the techs show up...

Just got back from again dropping my P85D off at the the Tyson's Corner, VA service center for the Ludicrous upgrade (my 2nd attempt after last week's no-show by the CA techs), and I was told once again the techs from CA haven't arrived! :mad: There's still a chance they'll show up today and my car will be modified, but the local customer service people were uncertain (and frustrated) by this. So LetsGoFast, you may have had your car flatbedded to the DC area for naught, and the other 3 people scheduled this week may also be disappointed.

That's crazy! I knew they hadn't disconnected the battery yet, but never figured that they weren't even there. Fingers crossed.

Yikes! I was planning to drop the car off this afternoon for service tomorrow. Will call them.

Did you remember to remove the dead body? That could be awkward.

So long as they don't look inside the trash bags, I should be fine.

In the good news / bad news department I just got an update from the service center and the folks from California did not arrive, but they are going forward with the upgrade without them. I should have told them to go ahead and do überanalyst first!