Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The modules themselves have a hard limit on current of about 1800A, the combined limit of the cell level fuses on the 74 cell groups. 1500A is already a hair higher, IMO, than what I'd pull regularly with the fuses. Fuses like that typically are operated at < 80% of their rating to ensure that they don't ever pop under normal conditions. Tesla is at about ~83% at 1500A. So, IMO 1500A is top of the mark for existing packs.

Not to say they wont bump the cell level fuse rating in the future, but, they haven't so far.

More on topic, Charlotte, NC is doing the updates now and I'm told they can do them same day (arrive in the morning, depart in the evening).

More on topic, Charlotte, NC is doing the updates now and I'm told they can do them same day (arrive in the morning, depart in the evening).

I'd urge caution with respect to making any plans that are dependent on this. In the last few weeks we've seen reports of a few centers suggesting this is possible, but unless I'm mistaken there is yet to be a report of anyone actually receiving their upgraded car back the same day they brought it in.

I'd urge caution with respect to making any plans that are dependent on this. In the last few weeks we've seen reports of a few centers suggesting this is possible, but unless I'm mistaken there is yet to be a report of anyone actually receiving their upgraded car back the same day they brought it in.

Guess we'll find out next week. ;)

(Cue incoming personal attack from a particular forum member)

Maybe in Charlotte, but Chicago SC did it in about ~6 hours. They asked for it overnight, but were done by 1a... not really sure when they started. They claimed that was the norm for them.

Bring your car in with a LOW SoC (they asked for <30% for me) or they will have to discharge it, which runs up the time.

Maybe in Charlotte, but Chicago SC did it in about ~6 hours. They asked for it overnight, but were done by 1a... not really sure when they started. They claimed that was the norm for them.

Bring your car in with a LOW SoC (they asked for <30% for me) or they will have to discharge it, which runs up the time.

Can't tell from what you wrote above when you brought it in, and when they finished, since you wrote that they finished at 1:00 AM.

Are you suggesting that you brought the car to them on, say, a Tuesday, and picked it up later that same Tuesday? If so, and if you reported that earlier in this thread, I must have missed it.

Edit:

I found your original post on this--

Chicago has it down to a single overnight stay now- went in at 5p and it was done by 1a that morning. They did a great job, and IMHO... it is absolutely a worthy upgrade. I can't wait for the roads to get de-salted so I can actually apply some torque.

I will share I never used to be able to empty that little tray below the 17" dash from 30MPH just by using the Go Pedal. :biggrin:

(Also got to drool on some Sig MX's they were prepping for delivery).

So unless someone posts otherwise, I believe my statement that there is yet to be a report of someone who has brought their car in and picked it up, upgraded, the same day is still accurate.

Last edited:
Can't tell from what you wrote above when you brought it in ... {snip} ... the same day is still accurate.

Yes, sorry, I am not trying to be confrontational... by technicality, yes, they did not complete it in the same calendar day. I dropped it off at 5p on Tues, app notification of firmware update about 11p Tues, got confirmation from SC via email it was complete around 1a Wed morn, and picked it up at 7a Wed morn.

My point is that I have seen several SC discussions this thread where the techs don't show up, don't have parts, or other things that keep the owner without their (own) car for 24+ hr periods unexpectedly; there are correspondingly other SCs where it is in-and-done, in less than a 24 hour period. To some of us, the night shift is "same day".

I brought my car in on Tuesday at 8am and got a text that it was done the same day at 4pm (including doing the LTE upgrade). If I had been in town and lived close enough that they didn't need to charge it much I believe I could have taken it the same day.

Yes, sorry, I am not trying to be confrontational... by technicality, yes, they did not complete it in the same calendar day. I dropped it off at 5p on Tues, app notification of firmware update about 11p Tues, got confirmation from SC via email it was complete around 1a Wed morn, and picked it up at 7a Wed morn.

My point is that I have seen several SC discussions this thread where the techs don't show up, don't have parts, or other things that keep the owner without their (own) car for 24+ hr periods unexpectedly; there are correspondingly other SCs where it is in-and-done, in less than a 24 hour period. To some of us, the night shift is "same day".

Interesting that the Chicago SC is doing these overnight. I wonder how they have enough techs to work that shift, and still cover the regular day shifts.

I brought my car in on Tuesday at 8am and got a text that it was done the same day at 4pm (including doing the LTE upgrade). If I had been in town and lived close enough that they didn't need to charge it much I believe I could have taken it the same day.

That's interesting too.

It is clear that Tesla has changed the original procedure, and is now intending to get the cars done in a day, which is great. Even if they are generally not quite accomplishing that yet, I expect once each service center has had some experience with this, they will be. So that's good for everyone!

Talked with my SC recently about what I should expect in a month when I'm scheduled for the upgrade - apparently as long as the SoC is <30%, they can perform the upgrade the same day no problem, however they schedule the car for an overnight stay in order to charge it up to a higher SoC so that they can test the 1500A draw in the morning, then if all is well you can pick it up.

Well my car went in for the upgrade last Friday and that afternoon the battery was back in the car and they thought it would be done that day. However when they were trying to download the firmware they got alerts and it failed to download. They have had the battery in and out of the car many times tying to diagnose the problem. I was called this afternoon stating they think they have finally found the problem. They need to replace a part and sent someone to Fremont to pick it up so they could start the repair this afternoon. They are hoping to complete the repair tomorrow.

Car ready for pickup.

Just managed to get some more info out of the Fremont SC.

They are now getting more parts in for the upgrade, and have enough for about 10 at the moment.
I'm apparently still #71 on the list from a month ago, but that doesn't include those that have been completed since or those who have cancelled.

Overall it sounds like part availability was the bottleneck but is now being addressed with more components being shipped to various SCs, which is probably why we're seeing folks get theirs done around the country (and world, seems like!)

thanks for the updates everyone. quick question for those that have scheduled or completed upgrades.

do they give flexibility in date selection or is it a decree that they have chosen a date. I'm 6 hours out of the service center that will do the upgrade so need to plan accordingly.