Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous Upgrade Scheduling?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @P85DEE

I've noticed that one of your arguments is that you are relying on what you report to be standard drag racing parlance, specifically, that 10.9999 is known by drag racers to be a "10.9 car". Apologies if I'm mis-stating your position.

Which leads me to this question: does the phrase "dialed in" mean something specific in drag racing lingo?

Thanks,
Alan

I put the deposit down, but after a few weeks they refunded it with following two separate emails
It is inventory car, but it's June 2015 build, so i was hoping to get the Ludi

You mention that it was an inventory car built in June 2015.

Did you take delivery prior to July 17, 2015?

Delivery was in December 2015
So, the car kind of qualifies, but the owner doesnt
:(

I could really use some top-end power

I feel your pain. That's really a tough break if you didn't know about that 7/17/15 cutoff before you bought the car.

I can see why they do it though. Otherwise they would have cannibalized P90D sales.

People would have bought P85Ds instead and upgraded them, or more accurately retrofitted them, with Ludicrous.

I feel your pain. That's really a tough break if you didn't know about that 7/17/15 cutoff before you bought the car.

I can see why they do it though. Otherwise they would have cannibalized P90D sales.

People would have bought P85Ds instead and upgraded them, or more accurately retrofitted them, with Ludicrous.
Well, since it was a demo car, and about 7 month old, it was a great buy, financially
I dont think knowing about deadline would have affected my purchase decision
I just wish i had a choice to upgrade since my car was built before the cutoff date

You are so hooked. I remember when "...the reason I'm getting the Performance model is to get green..." Now you have upgraded to Ludi!

It is addictive...

:)

Mike

@gg_got_a_tesla, is Mike right?
You got the P model because you wanted the green color?

If the case, I love it as it was also my excuse to go with my CPO P85D...
I wanted green or dark blue at the time and they had been discontinued, so I 'had' to choose a CPO model that just happened to be a 'P' :rolleyes:

Well, since it was a demo car, and about 7 month old, it was a great buy, financially
I just wish i had a choice to upgrade since my car was built before the cutoff date

Yeah, I hate to see you miss out on the upgrade too.

Only leaves a couple of options for getting it now.

Finding a pre owned car with Ludicrous, either a P85D or P90D and trading up.

That probably can't be done for $5k though.

One could just decide how much over $5k it's worth to them and go from there.

@gg_got_a_tesla, is Mike right?
You got the P model because you wanted the green color?

If the case, I love it as it was also my excuse to go with my CPO P85D...
I wanted green or dark blue at the time and they had been discontinued, so I 'had' to choose a CPO model that just happened to be a 'P' :rolleyes:

@NOLA_Mike is right :) When I put my deposit down in Sept 2014, wanted an 85. That became an 85D after the D reveal in Oct. And, that then became a P85D when it was announced that Green (and Brown) were going to be retired.

My Green P85D with Ludi is probably a bit of a unicorn!

My commiserations for those who are either ineligible for or going through some issues with the upgrade; hope the issues get resolved soon...

I thought you just had to have confirmed your order by that date.

Mine was ordered in October 2014, built in June 2015, delivered in September 2015, and I qualified for the retrofit.

I should have said "ordered" prior to 7/17/15.

The site says:

"The LUDICROUS speed option will only be available as a retrofit to customers who placed a P85D Model S order through Tesla before 11am PST Friday, 7/17/2015."

You put money down well before 7/17/15 for them to start building your car. So you made a commitment to buy long before Ludicrous was announced.

An inventory car bought before 7/17/15, I can see it being eligible for the upgrade too.

But for one bought after that I can see how possibly it wouldn't be.

It seems that what they were trying to do, was keep people from simply buying a P85D after the 7/17/15 announcement and retrofitting it with Ludicrous as opposed to buying a P90D with Ludicrous.

Of course there are exceptions. They even made one when they originally announced that Ludicrous upgrade ordering would only be available for 6 months and here we are nearly a year later and it's still available for order.

Last edited:
I think line they are trying to draw is: DId you have an opportunity to buy a new Ludicrous car when you purchased this one? Starting on July 17, when Ludi was announced you could, so if you ordered your car after that that is the only way to get Ludi. (And thus direct Ludi buyers to Tesla instead of to the used P85D insane market)

If your ordered a new, or purchased an inventory (but not just reserved) your P85D prior to July 17, then you didn't have a Ludi option, so you can upgrade your P85D. It makes sense to deny people who had the option to buy Ludi at regular price the discounted upgrade which no doubt created lots of good will from P85D Insane buyers who like to have the option.

I think line they are trying to draw is: DId you have an opportunity to buy a new Ludicrous car when you purchased this one? Starting on July 17, when Ludi was announced you could, so if you ordered your car after that that is the only way to get Ludi. (And thus direct Ludi buyers to Tesla instead of to the used P85D insane market)

If your ordered a new, or purchased an inventory (but not just reserved) your P85D prior to July 17, then you didn't have a Ludi option, so you can upgrade your P85D. It makes sense to deny people who had the option to buy Ludi at regular price the discounted upgrade which no doubt created lots of good will from P85D Insane buyers who like to have the option.

Yeah. I think what you're saying is:

Basically, if you couldn't buy or didn't have the option to buy a Ludicrous equipped car before you bought or ordered your current one, i.e. Before 7/17/15, then they'd make the retrofit available.

However if you did have the opportunity or option to buy a Ludicrous equipped car when you ordered or bought your current one, well then the one you ordered or bought after that point would not be eligible for the retrofit.

Now that this has had a chance to simmer for a bit. Are P85D owners happy with the upgrade? Was it worth the money?

I'm currently pretty happy with my P85D. I don't track the car and I don't drag race. When I go driving with friends that drive sport cars, my car easily stomps all of them. For most of my driving, I feel like there's more than enough power.

Should I bother getting the upgrade?

Now that this has had a chance to simmer for a bit. Are P85D owners happy with the upgrade? Was it worth the money?

I'm currently pretty happy with my P85D. I don't track the car and I don't drag race. When I go driving with friends that drive sport cars, my car easily stomps all of them. For most of my driving, I feel like there's more than enough power.

The biggest advantage to Ludicrous, in my opinion, is the improved performance from a roll, the improved passing power.

The launch is what everyone thinks of and talks of though, and it will give you significant improvement over an Insane launch.

However to me, it's the improved passing ability at highway speeds which is the most appealing aspect of Ludicrous. And thats something you can use any time you drive it.

Reactions: sorka and benjiejr

Agree with @P85DEE above. It's worth it to me at $5k, but I can understand if it's not worth it to everyone.

Since I bought the quickest car at the time I had to upgrade to still have the quickest 4-door sedan that beats any car. You gain .2 sec in 0 to 60 or 1/4 mile and since I like to drag race $5,000 plus $360 sales tax was worth it. If you feel you have enough power $5,000 may not be worth it. I have a friend with a S90D and he is perfectly happy with his power as he is more concerned with the range.

Reactions: benjiejr
I think it is worth it. Just like everyone else, you can feel the difference at speed. Before, you would feel the foot gets "heavier" after 30 mph or so and the hesitation. After, it just zips along like nothing until you actually let go as the speed limit has been hit in no time...

Reactions: benjiejr

Is Tesla sticking to the original cut off date for taking delivery? Have you tried placing a deposit for the upgrade?

I did, and it was refunded few weeks later with email response i listed above

Have you tried call your SC directly and asking them if they'd make an exception. You already have the car. For the time they spend and the cost of the parts, they're clearly making a profit on it now.

Also, it's likely that at some point in the future, replacement batteries for non upgraded P85Ds will actually have the newer contactors anyways as they put the same battery in all the P models now.