Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ludicrous vs Ludicrous+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any impact when the car is put into “Ludicrous +” right away? I.E., a difference between that and Ludicrous instantly before any battery heating occurs? (Other than the ability to use Launch Mode)

I don’t know the answer to that because I don’t have the newest version. Some observations I had with previous “max battery.” With the battery 100% preheated and ready to go I see ~500kw. If I uncheck max battery mode and test again (immediately) I was only seeing 479kw. I toggled max battery again and was back to 500kw. This was a limited test that I’ve only done twice, but it Ludicrous+ truly behaves like Ludicrous+max battery (once the heating aspect is fixed) then there may be a small difference between the two.

Also this was with a fully preheated battery, not with a cold battery as you asked. Nowhere near apples to apples, but it’s in the same fruit family (ha.)

I don’t know the answer to that because I don’t have the newest version. Some observations I had with previous “max battery.” With the battery 100% preheated and ready to go I see ~500kw. If I uncheck max battery mode and test again (immediately) I was only seeing 479kw. I toggled max battery again and was back to 500kw. This was a limited test that I’ve only done twice, but it Ludicrous+ truly behaves like Ludicrous+max battery (once the heating aspect is fixed) then there may be a small difference between the two.

Also this was with a fully preheated battery, not with a cold battery as you asked. Nowhere near apples to apples, but it’s in the same fruit family (ha.)
How are you viewing the power output values?

Thanks!

I downloaded PowerTools and for my P100D at a 40%SOC that I’m currently driving with, there is no difference instantly between Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ using the new button. I’ll check tomorrow at a more full SOC as well

I have a P90D, so it isn’t quite the same. I did notice today with max battery I am seeing 1600amps and ~500kw. When I toggle it off I am limited to 1500amps and I am seeing 479kw.

I don’t know what the 100 pack amp output is, but I know it is more than what I am seeing. I don’t know a way to see your amperage without a CAN BUS logger. I am using TM-Spy for that.

Tried this again this morning at 75-85% of charge. There’s no difference between the two and it all has to do with how hot the battery is.
First I tested power in Ludicrous and then right away into Ludicrous+, negligible difference. Let the battery heat up (to the new Ludicrous+ button level which is not as hot as the Easter egg Ludicrous+ amount, falls about 5degrees Celsius short of that) and tested power in the Ludicrous+ then changed the button to Ludicrous, no difference. One thing though, the SOC once the battery was heated was almost 10% less and the power was the same as it was at the higher charge % (lost about 10% SOC driving the 10-15 minutes to heat up the battery).
These pulls were all done at about 70mph as I was driving on the interstate and the peak power was about 525kW each time

Now, I’ll try 100% SOC and the full 50degrees Celsius with the Easter egg Ludicrous+ and see the differences if any. I’ll also do some Launch Modes as that seems to get the highest power

Charged to 85% and got the battery to the full 50degrees, again no difference between Ludicrous and Ludicrous+ when at the same battery temp.
To note though is that the extra 5degrees of battery temp for the Easter egg Ludicrous+ gave a 550kW rating vs the 525kW at the same 85%SOC for the other Ludicrous+, and that extra 25kW is very noticeable; tires struggled for traction a bit and that was at about 60mph