Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not in the position of renewing the insurance on the Tesla. Seems like insurers have woken up to the performance ☹️ I’m not being quoted numbers higher than when I had a modified Elise in Zone 2 in London! So far my renewal quote from Hastings Direct is cheaper than any new customer quote including from the same insurer. That’s something that’s never happened to me before!

LV= are about £300 more. I can get a cheaper policy from Admiral if I accept their “little box”. But I don’t want to have their not exactly expert technician messing about in the electrical system of the car. The Direct Line website won’t even get far enough to give me a price. It slow to the point it just stops moving forward. So looks like renewal at a massive hike ☹️

Finally got Direct Line to quote. Not worth. The effort! I’ve never had a competitive quote from them and they are continuing this trend
If you spend a little time reading this thread, you'll see that the hikes in premium have little to do with the cars performance.

Renewal time for my Y, it has gone up from £650, at the time the most i had paid for insurance, to £950 with Admiral. Reading this thread guess it's not too bad😳.
The comparison sites were coming back with figures around £1300 including Admiral, usually they are lower than the renewal figure from the current insurer but not this time.
Makes my Frogeye Sprite look cheap to run with insurance at £120, Mot and Tax exempt and Ulez complaint, only trouble is your never quite sure if it will make it home without breaking down!
A46B5AFD-8283-47F6-93AB-5B4D19D64CDC_1_105_c.jpeg

Renewal time for my Y, it has gone up from £650, at the time the most i had paid for insurance, to £950 with Admiral. Reading this thread guess it's not too bad😳.
The comparison sites were coming back with figures around £1300 including Admiral, usually they are lower than the renewal figure from the current insurer but not this time.
Makes my Frogeye Sprite look cheap to run with insurance at £120, Mot and Tax exempt and Ulez complaint, only trouble is your never quite sure if it will make it home without breaking down!View attachment 972271
That looks like it would fit in the boot of the Tesla. Handy if it does break down :)

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Its tiny, not so easy to get in and out of but a better fit in the lanes.

Indeed! We forget that when those roads were made the cars of the day (or carts of the day) did not require to stop and squeeze past each other whilst cringing about the scratchy hedge ... they drove at normal speed towards each other and passed each other at pace!

Reactions: Obie
LV via RAC

I've got that. It's not LV, it's Liverpool Victoria. Liverpool Vicoria hived off its motor business as LV=, which was then bought by (iirc) Zurich. Liverpool Victoria has started insuring cars again. I got a good price when I bought last year. Unfortunately, last Saturday an idiot in a Golf decided not to stop for traffic lights when I had stopped in front of him. It took a week to persuade his insurers (Aviva) to accept liability -- it was the four-way camera footage that finally did the job, Hopefully, the Tesla authorised repair shop can take a look at it next week. There's a big dent in the bumper cover but no way for me to tell whether there is any serious damage underneath.

Meanwhile, the good lady wife wants to change her car and we have to enter 'recent accident - value unknown'. That's not doing the quotes any good.

And I am now dreading renewal time in a couple of months.

Just started the dance, LV= multi car (M3p- and a swift), last year, £785, this year, £1140 :oops:. I'm glad they think I'm 22 again :(.

Bit of shopping around. Directline refused to even quote me.

Next stop admiral. In their favour they still have my account from last year. Nope, broken. Just gave generic rejection when I added the swift's reg number.

Money super market managed to find an option to save £40 from eSureFlex (whoever they hell they are), so just went with the eye watering LV= quote :(. I've not had to pay this much since I was running a modified celica, and by modified I mean -everything- had been done. Mods list was longer than most companies allowed for in the input boxes!

I can see we are being set up for an iRobot future where your insurance becomes invalid if you take manual control of the car... It'll be safer, but in teh mean time, what do you do?

Just renewed on my 3LR. Churchill last year - £573, this year - £895! So off I go on the usual round of comparison sites. Best offer ... Churchill £834. OK, onto their website, log into my account, and get offered £765. I have no idea what is going on, and neither do the insurance companies, apparently. Still leapt at it before they changed their minds.

I actually select voluntary excess at around 500. because I think that voluntary + compulsory will be something I can cover in unlikely event of massive insurance claim... but it drives premiums down :/
Whilst shopping around for my original insurance for this MYP I played around with the VE and it made no difference to the premium at all, so naturally went as low as poss.
This was something new for me as previous premiums for ICE cars did reduce with a higher VE
I wonder if it'll make a difference this time round - due Dec so will see....