Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can we suggest to insurance that there is a moat between driveway and road and also there is a ditch with water and crocodiles.. and piranhas.. and MEG? maybe this would be seen as reasonable measure to reduce risk of theft?

can we suggest to insurance that there is a moat between driveway and road and also there is a ditch with water and crocodiles.. and piranhas.. and MEG? maybe this would be seen as reasonable measure to reduce risk of theft?
Computer says there is a risk ( however re-moat) you might forget to lower/raise the drawbridge and that therefore......

P.S. Who is paying this expense(s)?
Are you an MP?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: nigelpurvis@gm

When I had our Ram Bollards fitted, the Company Owner asked me what I'd had stolen.

I said, nothing why?

He then was completely surprised that I was having Bollards fitted BEFORE any attempted theft. He said 99% of his residential customers fit them after a theft. So he was always interested in their stories.

People are funny aren't they. Won't pay until its too late. Always, it'll never happen to them...

People online have said to me in the past, that I must live my life in fear. With the security we have at home.

I think that's funny, because it's absolutely the opposite. Snug & comfy is how we feel.

Google Earth means everybody can have a good look around your property nowadays, so it's just naive not to be prepared.

But I know some people think 'prepared' equals 'crazy'. 😀 🤪

The insurance market is in my view deliberately in-transparent as to the basis for premiums. Just renewed the insurance on our 2019 M3P. Been with LV since day 1, two named drivers both with maximum NCB histories and clean driving records. In 2019 the premium was £376. Increases every year and I do the usual online price checks and then call LV to do the cancel dance and see what their best price is. I hate wasting my time but it always results in some money coming off the initial renewal making it worth the effort. This year renewal price was £675. So an 80% increase over 5 years on a vehicle declining in value. Still I guess I should be happy after reading about some quotes of others.

People online have said to me in the past, that I must live my life in fear. With the security we have at home.

I think that's funny, because it's absolutely the opposite. Snug & comfy is how we feel.

Google Earth means everybody can have a good look around your property nowadays, so it's just naive not to be prepared.

But I know some people think 'prepared' equals 'crazy'. 😀 🤪
Our neighbours used to joke about our security cameras. With break-ins on the rise in the area suddenly cameras are being installed at neighbouring properties.

Reactions: PITA
Our neighbours used to joke about our security cameras. With break-ins on the rise in the area suddenly cameras are being installed at neighbouring properties.

We use our Camera's mainly for Wildlife. The Grandkids love the footage... foxes, cats, badgers, toads, hooded teenagers with crowbars, magpies, worms & snails, contractors onsite, spiders, bats, all sorts.

Cameras only serve as a trophy video for YouTube afterwards. Everybody else isn't interested, especially the main characters you may be lucky enough to catch.

But... cameras are excellent for that 'scout' around the property before you go to sleep, and reminders to put the bins out, close the open shed door, show which charging cable is in which car, look at the torrential rain cloud burst on family chat social media.

You'll soon get fed up of 'notifications' from the dancing spiders webs, sunset shadows, car headlights passing.

What's more important, in my opinion, is physical security. PAS-24, TS007, BS Standards. Get your locks, and what your locks are attached to, upgraded. Discipline with it all.

Then you should be all good.

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
Not sure if you've explored Frigate NVR

It's a software layer for your camera feeds that you can train to categorise events, then be notified of the unusual/unknown events only.

Everything where we live is unusual. It's a mixed social-species theme park with no height restriction.

My notifications come from magnet switches. Our place is booby trapped all over the place with magnet switches.

Way more reliable, and you can get immensely creative with them, linked to lights, alarms, smartphone, cameras, voice announcements, smart routines etc. Attached to anything that moves, shouldn't move, opens, shuts, flaps or swings... 😀 😍 🤩

Plus, they don't physically injure me when I forget.

Now those, I can rely on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wattsisname
😀The things that security camera reps do to stimulate business!😉
Following installation of a mainstream doorbell from an American cloud software provider, two random people knocked on my door (rang doorbell) within the first week (with list of addresses in hand). Never happened before or after. It’s almost a protection racket to make you say to you friends ‘look how good my doorbell is’ or, I need to up my security and buy the next piece of the kit too.

Reactions: Wattsisname