Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my renewal quote from LV I test drove a Lexus yesterday. But I just couldn’t bring myself to buy. I really hope Tesla Insurance makes it owner here soon.
and did you get an insurance quote on the Lexus? Many owners seeing £1000+ renewals, RX insurance up to £3k because of recent thefts of that model.

Insurance, or more specifically the whole industry built around it is ripping people off. £1k+ per week for loan vehicles, bodyshops massively inflate pricing if it is an insurance job that will give 50% off to a cash private buyer.

This certainly isn’t just a Tesla issue.

Reactions: gangzoom
Yep. Agreed.

One of my colleagues is a biker, he did make a good point if bikes (proper ones with real motors) where electric and no one heard them coming the chance of becoming road kill is far far higher.

Given how car drivers have an inability to see any other road users on the road at times, I think his probably right.

I did see electric motorbikes were getting developed but haven't seen any on the roads, maybe its because I'm just use to listening out for bikes as the main way to work out if one is coming?

and did you get an insurance quote on the Lexus? Many owners seeing £1000+ renewals, RX insurance up to £3k because of recent thefts of that model.

Insurance, or more specifically the whole industry built around it is ripping people off. £1k+ per week for loan vehicles, bodyshops massively inflate pricing if it is an insurance job that will give 50% off to a cash private buyer.

This certainly isn’t just a Tesla issue.

People also forget the slowest Tesla is quicker than Ferraris of the past, and the quickest are well, ludicrouse. Many Tesla owners also seem to have zero idea about the speed these things can achieve with ease.

The posts on here a few winters ago from people 'complaining' their cars weren't hitting the advertised 0-60 times when launched on UK roads, at near zero temperatures in winter was frankly scary. Uk roads in winter requires respect, lots of it, the lack of grip an off camber, slightly damp/greasey sweeping B road corner is something every road user needs to appreciate so they don't end up whipping out another innocent road user when they loss control of their vehicle.

Speed kills, it always has and always well, insurance is one way to mitigate how people use speed or access it.

Teslas have significantly lowered the bar to access of speed, I bought mine because of that reason, but I'm not so sure its a good thing anymore.

Last edited:
Teslas have significantly lowered the bar to access of speed
Tesla or EVs in general?
Which bar? The financial bar?
Oh yes, for a mere £50k to £120k people who have never owned a fast car or know how to drive at speed ( legally) are now rushing to buy EVs and driving the pants off them and thereby justifying the enormous insurance premiums......Really????

Do you work in PR for the motor insurance industry perchance?

The vast majority of EVs I see on the road are being responsibly driven by family people. The occasional M3 Uber takes the Mickey but otherwise....

I would like to see some statistics that justify the premiums. I believe the knicker elastic of supply and demand will continue to be stretched until we see genuine competition enter a market which is looking suspiciously like a cartel ( maybe both kinds 🤔).

Of course the car industry in general need to pull the finger our re parts supply; a friend has just got his Honda back after two months to repair a fairly routine shunt. The cost of the 2023 Volvo hire will, I hear you shout, impact premiums. Understood. However, why do we not see a significant discount if we forgo the hire car benefit?

Last edited:
Reactions: Obie and Whyone
The vast majority of EVs I see on the road are being responsibly driven by family people. The occasional M3 Uber takes the Mickey but otherwise....

A SR Model 3 is essentially as quick as Subaru Impreza from the 2000s, I tried (and failed) to get any insurance on one of those back in 2000.

Insurance is a balance or risks, on paper Teslas have massive potential for huge insurance claims, litigation payouts etc. In practice the cost is actually much cheaper than what you would expect for cars with amount of performance. I can get insured on a P100D version of our 75D for only £200 a year more, which given the performance on offer is a 'bargain' for insurance costs.

Tesla owners clearly aren't the same as those who were buying Imprezas in 2000, but the overall risk of a Tesla getting into an accident will still be higher than for a Toyota Aygo, simply on the basis speed kills - which is essentially physics.

Agreed.

The vast, vast majority of EV's I see on the road are driven very sensibly...perhaps more concerned with efficiency than performance?

Certainly that's how I drive my M3.

Perhaps than suggest to Tesla they implement a 'safe' mode software block - so 0-60 times of 10 seconds that you cannot over ride? I'm pretty sure that will bring insurance premiums down over time, as the individuals who choose that option are going be a self selecting group?

Oh yes, for a mere £50k to £120k people who have never owned a fast car or know how to drive at speed

You don't need a fast or expensive car to be dangerous. I had my first 'crash' as a learner when going around a corner tool quickly and understeered into a van, that was in a £500 Micra, but because it was so slow and made out of paper it didn't even scratch the vans paint but did put a dent in the Micras bumper :).

Our 75D X is so composed at speed it's scary, 60mph on a B road feels like you are doing 20mph. Adverse cambers don't throw it off line, wheel spin is non existent, but if you do reach the limits of grip it understeer just as badly as the Micra. However the speed, size, mass of the X when reaching the limits of grip is on a different level to the Mirca.

I pay 1/3 the insurance cost on our X as I did in my Micra.

You don't need a fast or expensive car to be dangerous. I had my first 'crash' as a learner when going around a corner tool quickly and understeered into a van, that was in a £500 Micra, but because it was so slow and made out of paper it didn't even scratch the vans paint but did put a dent in the Micras bumper :).

Our 75D X is so composed at speed it's scary, 60mph on a B road feels like you are doing 20mph. Adverse cambers don't throw it off line, wheel spin is non existent, but if you do reach the limits of grip it understeer just as badly as the Micra. However the speed, size, mass of the X when reaching the limits of grip is on a different level to the Mirca.

So, in not answering my question : Tesla or EVs in general, I take it you just mean Teslas.

I am confused on a couple of counts:
You are contributing to a thread concerning the the high cost of premiums.
You seem to be trying to justify or at least be in sympathy with the underwriters.
You then boast that you are paying a third the cost of insuring a Micra!
How, I ask rhetorically, are you immune from all those "facts" which justify our high premiums.

PS Speed kills. That must be why we have speed limits.

Last edited:
I've just had my insurance renewal documents from Carole Nash - £328 last year, £1214 this year! A quick visit to the CompareTheMarket comparison site flags up Saga as being the cheapest option for me at £607. That's for an M3 Performance, myself and my partner to drive, both retired and living in East Northants.

I've just had my insurance renewal documents from Carole Nash - £328 last year, £1214 this year! A quick visit to the CompareTheMarket comparison site flags up Saga as being the cheapest option for me at £607. That's for an M3 Performance, myself and my partner to drive, both retired and living in East Northants.
Result! At least from a SW London perspective.😊

Reactions: G4WFT
One of my colleagues is a biker, he did make a good point if bikes (proper ones with real motors) where electric and no one heard them coming the chance of becoming road kill is far far higher.

Given how car drivers have an inability to see any other road users on the road at times, I think his probably right.

I did see electric motorbikes were getting developed but haven't seen any on the roads, maybe its because I'm just use to listening out for bikes as the main way to work out if one is coming?

I'm an Advanced Trained motorcyclist and was a Blood Biker (NHS Volunteer to transport urgent medical 'stuff')

Drivers still cannot see you even in high viz and a high viz bike. Because half the time they don't even look... they're certainly not listening except if stationary in a queue.

So the only thing that keeps you safe on the move, is a well maintained bike and your trained skill.

Look how well camouflaged I am against the yellow floor 😀

I almost got flattened on Hospital Grounds by some kid driver using it as a race track to get to his family... I saw him before he saw me...

Blood Biles 1.jpg

Steve (1).jpg

You then boast that you are paying a third the cost of insuring a Micra!

No he didn't. He compared the insurance for his Micra, when he was still a learner driver with no experience vs., what I understand to be, a middle aged family man driving a Tesla.

PS Speed kills. That must be why we have speed limits.

You've never exceeded a speed limit in your life?

And "speed kills" includes acceleration, and I doubt many have owned (and insured) "Tesla acceleration" in previous cars they have owned. Teslas are in the top insurance category, certainly on performance and probably for all the other reasons stated here - long waits for parts etc.

I also expect many people are coming to a £50K Tesla from a £25K-whatever, rather than from a previous £50K car. They may have felt comfortable with the extra capital cost / finance package (i.e. because Electricity cheaper than Petrol, minimal servicing cost etc.) but the capital cost of the car is still going to impact the insurance if the previous car was only 50% the cost of their shiny new Tesla

Drivers still cannot see you even in high viz and a high viz bike. Because half the time they don't even look... they're certainly not listening except if stationary in a queue.

So the only thing that keeps you safe on the move, is a well maintained bike and your trained skill.

Agreed! Unless the bike is running an illegally noisy exhaust most people usually won't hear the bike coming when at a junction. When I ride a bike I always assume that drivers haven't seen me and that they may therefore drive out of junctions or into my path. Owning your lane and positioning the bike such that they have the best view of you coming doesn't seem to guarantee they will see you unfortunately ... but it does improve the percentages ... and does give better options for avoidance if the worst happens!

Reactions: Wattsisname
Agreed! Unless the bike is running an illegally noisy exhaust most people usually won't hear the bike coming when at a junction. When I ride a bike I always assume that drivers haven't seen me and that they may therefore drive out of junctions or into my path. Owning your lane and positioning the bike such that they have the best view of you coming doesn't seem to guarantee they will see you unfortunately ... but it does improve the percentages ... and does give better options for avoidance if the worst happens!
Yes that tallies with my experience. In 60k miles, on 1200 and 1300 cc bikes, my only accident, 45deg to the front of a moving car was, thank God, at 30mph in a 30. I was not famous for speed limit observation when riding out of town.

Car insurance wise, I have 25 years (+ 250k miles) no claims including 0-6O in 7 seconds cars and yet insurance for Tesla long range is on the rise but perhaps this is true of all £60k plus cars with inner city addresses.
The underwriters calculation, reasonably, take account of repair costs ( another can of worms) but not, it seems the actually stats concerning specific makrs/models. It's early days, but for all we know, Teslas may be the least accident prone car on the road driver wise. They may however be prone to third party fault accidents. The point is we don't know the stats.
Just because we can afford to pay, does not mean we have to like it.

I'm an Advanced Trained motorcyclist and was a Blood Biker (NHS Volunteer to transport urgent medical 'stuff')

Look how well camouflaged I am against the yellow floor 😀

I almost got flattened on Hospital Grounds by some kid driver using it as a race track to get to his family... I saw him before he saw me...

View attachment 964474

View attachment 964475
Crap! Didn’t realise the plod were undercover in this forum!
Quick, everyone! Behave!
Cars in chill mode!

(Also, I call crap on the “hearing a bike” thing. That’s Akrapovic riders trying to rationalise their sound pollution. I doubt anyone would ever hear a bike before seeing it no matter how loud it is, especially with car soundproofing and sound systems these days).

Reactions: yessuz and Adopado

From my response above, I clearly misunderstood the points you were making - apologies.

Crap! Didn’t realise the plod were undercover in this forum!
Quick, everyone! Behave!
Cars in chill mode!

(Also, I call crap on the “hearing a bike” thing. That’s Akrapovic riders trying to rationalise their sound pollution. I doubt anyone would ever hear a bike before seeing it no matter how loud it is, especially with car soundproofing and sound systems these days).

If anybody is interested ... there's one thing I learned which was profound... from a Military Fighter Pilot training school.

Saccadic suppression.

In summary, you can be looking... and never see what you're trying to see.

Military Pilots missing successful missile targeted explosions... thinking they never happened, when they did.

Same for car drivers, never seeing the rider... even though they appear to be looking right at them.

Last edited: