Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance hike - quick sense check

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cheapest is nearly always on a driveway.
Which therefore, is safest. Depending on access/egress width, one or two retractable posts/bollards would enhance security and might even attract a premium reduction. Though breath should not be held in that regard, the important thing is to prevent theft.

Then again, Teslas are not famous for being stolen; apparently, we are really paying for the high repair/write off costs...
... but are they more accident prone than other cars of similar power and value?

Last edited:
Which therefore, is safest. Depending on access/egress width, one or two retractable posts/bollards would enhance security and might even attract a premium reduction. Though breath should not be held in that regard, the important thing is to prevent theft.

That's what we have on our driveway. Three retractable bollards and cameras.

I don't declare any of it to my insurance company, in case there's one time I don't have them raised for some reason.

Stops delivery drivers and people using your land for turnaround access as well. Or other weirdo's I've heard of actually parking on other people's driveways then going on Holiday, or a venue.

Reactions: Wattsisname
I don't declare any of it to my insurance company, in case there's one time I don't have them raised for some reason.
That is, on the face it, quite funny and yet totally understandable; I can see me forgetting and then, Sod's Law prevails....

Some months ago, I switched off Sentry in app and accidentally touched the lock symbol in the row of four; fan etc..

I discovered this about 20 minutes later and locked the car. In that short time ( outside the house) somebody tried the door and finding it unlocked, took two rather nice vacuum mugs. There was nothing else available to them.
Yep! Sod's Law!

That is, on the face it, quite funny and yet totally understandable; I can see me forgetting and then, Sod's Law prevails....

Some months ago, I switched off Sentry in app and accidentally touched the lock symbol in the row of four; fan etc..

I discovered this about 20 minutes later and locked the car. In that short time ( outside the house) somebody tried the door and finding it unlocked, took two rather nice vacuum mugs. There was nothing else available to them.
Yep! Sod's Law!

Yep... sods law.

Because it's not just me who has access to the bollards, if my Wife forgot and drove off... I've still got scope for Insurance & no-Divorce inducing tantrum

To be fair though, she's very good at sorting it all out as they're gas strut assisted, so not heavy.

Last edited:
If at least part of the argument for higher premiums with garaged cars is that some accidental damage may occur whilst going in or out of it, then same should apply for bollards. Undoubtedly someone somewhere will forget when they are raised and hit them, ergo everyone with bollards needs to be penalised financially also.

...everyone with bollards needs to be penalised financially also.
😂...... whilst being rewarded with a lower premium for negating the risk of theft by having bollards.
Exclusions. Any claim for theft of the vehicle from home if you left the bollards down.
Any claim for damage caused by failure to lower the bollards when egressing the property.
We also provide premium reductions if:
You never park at supermarkets including shopping centre carparks or airports or never pick up children from outside schools. These discounts can be further augmented if you never park anywhere near Liverpool or Birkenhead. .....or adjacent to a Range Rover Vogue.
This is not an exhaustive list of possible premium lowering exclusions, if the underwriters were willing to get that granular😀.
Any suggestions? (apart from keeping the car in a remote bank vault and never driving).

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Farquad
Totally an image I found on the internet, but just an idea...:p
1692890072933.png

If at least part of the argument for higher premiums with garaged cars is that some accidental damage may occur whilst going in or out of it, then same should apply for bollards. Undoubtedly someone somewhere will forget when they are raised and hit them, ergo everyone with bollards needs to be penalised financially also.

I thought this when I first had them installed... how long before I crash into them.

But no... nowhere close.

I've forgotten to unhook the charge cables, but never the bollards.

I thought this when I first had them installed... how long before I crash into them.

But no... nowhere close.

I've forgotten to unhook the charge cables, but never the bollards.

Maybe I should fit bollards at the entrance to the garage, I could get them interconnected so that as door goes up bollards go down and vice versa.

Then the premium increase for using garage will be offset by the discount for having bollards.

A cunning plan… 🧐:p