Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV insurance states tracker required ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
Absolutely hopeless discussion with them on the phone.
Does anybody have proof (eg email) from LV that the standard Tesla monitoring meets LV requirement for a tracker please?
Or, are owners with LV insurance having 3rd party trackers fitted?

Concerned that otherwise LV could deny responsibility in the unlikely event of a theft.

(btw talking to LV as DL quote jumped from 450 to >800 between September and now - so much for Tesla value insurance - I guess DL got bored of that)

Thanks for quick reply.

Can I ask - did you actually get this in writing, as all the chap on the phone would say to me was it needs to have a tracker, he was totally unable to say if the standard Tesla functionality met this requirement. This just smacks to me of wriggle room should there be a claim.

The chap I spoke to on the 'phone just knew the car had a built-in tracker. He read the details to me that he seemed to have on his screen as soon as he'd typed in the model. All the policy document says is that the vehicle has a tracker, which is spot on, and can be demonstrated to anyone just by looking at the app, as this always shows where the car is located. Hard for an insurer to wriggle out of that, I'd have thought.

easy - they could just ask if it is subscribed to a monitoring company.
and that is my concern - what exactly is the legal (or insurers) definition of a tracker

As far as manufacturer-installed trackers, then here is no formal definition or approval process for such a tracker, AFAIK, as it's OEM. If questioned about it, it's dead easy to prove that Tesla's servers know where the car is all the time, as the app shows this information. The car clearly doesn't have one of the old technology, local area only, locator beacon type trackers, but what it has got is a great deal more functional, as it has global coverage. Hard for an insurer to argue that some crappy local radio location beacon thing is better than the Tesla app functionality, really.

By the same token, LV asked if the car had a dash cam, as they've done for the last few cars I've insured with them. In the past I've just stuck an after market dash cam on the screen, but this time I just told LV that I'd activate the built-in dash cam as soon as I collected the car. They were OK with that, as me telling them I'd activate TeslaCam is no different to me telling them that I'd stick a dash cam (of unknown parentage) on the screen.

easy - they could just ask if it is subscribed to a monitoring company.
and that is my concern - what exactly is the legal (or insurers) definition of a tracker

I had a similar issue with an XC90 T8, it took a long time to squeeze a definition out of the insurers but I’ve copied what they said verbatim below in case it helps. I appreciate it will differ between insurers but I suspect this would be deemed a reasonable definition;

Having referred this to underwriters they have advised that the vehicle will require a trackersystem that monitors its position 24 hours a day and 365 days of the year regardless of whether the vehicle is running etc.

hmm .. from the website quotation page, clearly states a valid subscription to a monitoring service required.
upload_2019-12-4_19-10-7.png

I do hope folks aren't getting duped here. Would be a mighty expensive mistake.
otoh - I think it could be reasonable to state we have a free/included subscription to Tesla?
In any event LV are not being reasonable in not clarifying.

I changed my LV policy over the 'phone so didn't see that web site question. Anyway, as Tesla's servers monitor the cars location all the time the answer is that it does have a monitored tracker. The subscription happens to be a part of the purchase price, just as it is with the BMW Connected Drive service (my previous car was a BMW with Connected Drive tracking and monitoring).

Absolutely hopeless discussion with them on the phone.
Does anybody have proof (eg email) from LV that the standard Tesla monitoring meets LV requirement for a tracker please?
Or, are owners with LV insurance having 3rd party trackers fitted?

Concerned that otherwise LV could deny responsibility in the unlikely event of a theft.

(btw talking to LV as DL quote jumped from 450 to >800 between September and now - so much for Tesla value insurance - I guess DL got bored of that)
What model are you trying to insure?

If it’s a 3 then most people didn’t need to have a tracker when people went through go compare

I’ve seen multiple feedback on this point, both here and on the Owners Group FB page. LV have consistently accepted that the Tesla app tracking satisfies their needs - istr that some people have had that in a mail/text as well. I think, given the sheer numbers of folk who have been told the same thing, it would be very hard for LV to treat this as a technical catch, even if they wanted to.

hmm .. from the website quotation page, clearly states a valid subscription to a monitoring service required.
View attachment 484681
I do hope folks aren't getting duped here. Would be a mighty expensive mistake.
otoh - I think it could be reasonable to state we have a free/included subscription to Tesla?
In any event LV are not being reasonable in not clarifying.

TeslaFi subscription would meet this requirement.

Subscription to the Tesla monitoring service is free, but you do need to have the car registered to your account. Obviously the aftermarket services require a subscription, it is not enough to just have the hardware installed (by a previous owner) and not have transferred the service.

I initially got quotes from comparison site, and put in NO tracker, i then purchased through LV, just checked my policy, and cannot see any mention of having or requiring a Tracker.

Although i have just noticed they show it as '2019 TESLA MODEL-3 STANDARD RANGE PLUS AUTO (125 litre)'
Not sure where they get the 125 litre :confused: