Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LV tracker definition (UK insurance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My quote from Direct Line (my current insurers) for a Model X was horrendous so I looked around and have a very good quote from LV (less than 1/3 the cost of Direct Line with a comparable excess). The only thing is LV insist on a “monitored tracker” on their website. However I called and spoke to a very nice lad who read over the phone to me LV’s definition of an acceptable tracker. This definition is absolutely clear in that the type of tracker fitted to Tesla’s is perfectly acceptable to them. I can’t recall the exact wording but it included the vehicle sending a signal to a mobile phone such that the owner can trace his car.
I hope this helps those who are unsure if they actually comply with LV requirements.
Tony

Thanks for posting.
I renewed yesterday with LV after direct line increased my insurance from £372 to £501
LV was £354 on a multicar policy.
I Was concerned about the tracker situation even though they stated that any tracker was sufficient when I asked over the phone.
I will however keep using pin to drive to help prevent theft.

My quote from Direct Line (my current insurers) for a Model X was horrendous so I looked around and have a very good quote from LV (less than 1/3 the cost of Direct Line with a comparable excess). The only thing is LV insist on a “monitored tracker” on their website. However I called and spoke to a very nice lad who read over the phone to me LV’s definition of an acceptable tracker. This definition is absolutely clear in that the type of tracker fitted to Tesla’s is perfectly acceptable to them. I can’t recall the exact wording but it included the vehicle sending a signal to a mobile phone such that the owner can trace his car.
I hope this helps those who are unsure if they actually comply with LV requirements.
Tony

Did you phone up to get a discount applied? I could not see anywhere to say that it had a tracker.

I described the way the tracker works to the LV lady on the phone. The important bit for them, she said, is the fact that you can see the car’s location in the app.
I must have gotten lucky — I got quotes through the meerkat comparison site, LV came out as my poison of choice. The day I finally had the reg number I called and quoted the reference number and activated the insurance. Was never asked about a tracker. I presumed they were familiar with the feature on the Tesla and had factored it in.

Reactions: Roy W.