Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Break-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I understand, the M3 has an alarm system but would only trip upon a locked door being opened. Someone please correct me there if I'm wrong...

With the tech the M3 has, I'm advocating for improvements to said alarm system that would set it off for window breaks while also activating the interior camera during such an event. I can't imagine this would be too difficult to do, and I'd even pay for it if it's similar to the anti-theft sensory option upgrade recently introduced for MS and MX.

I don't know if it's more funny or pathetic that crime lab processing would take that long but I gotta imagine the lab has far more important cases/evidence to work on....o_O I'm not holding my breath for any justice, but I can't help but think a photo or video footage of the perp has gotta at least increase the odds.

The car is in a deep sleep when you are not driving it in order to maximize battery life, that is at odds with the idea of instantly recording video.

Car has no interior motion sensor and no glass break sensors and the cameras it does have might not be great for this kind of recording.

A factory alarm is now available for the S and X so I imagine something is coming for the 3 at some point.

Sorry to hear this. I know (as others have stated) there have been a lot in the Bay Area. I too live in OC and there have been a lot of car break-ins all over the Orange and Tustin area - not specific to any car type.
I wouldn't help in your case, but someone just started selling a seat lock to, hopefully, avoid the break-ins where the break the small window to check the trunk.

• Informative
Reactions: ggumz
Here in Houston they’ll take a report for insurance but tell you straight up zero time is spent investigating a Motor vehicle burglary. A neighbor leaves her car unlocked in hopes they’ll just open the door.

For more than a decade in my 20s and early 30s, I applied the same philosophy to leave my car doors unlocked (less valuable). I wouldn't suggest it unless you can stomach the risk. Fortunately for me, the two neighborhood break-ins during my 3 yr stay in KS only resulted in pocket change stolen.

For more than a decade in my 20s and early 30s, I applied the same philosophy to leave my car doors unlocked (less valuable). I wouldn't suggest it unless you can stomach the risk. Fortunately for me, the two neighborhood break-ins during my 3 yr stay in KS only resulted in pocket change stolen.

My guess is that a potential thief wouldn't even try a Tesla door handle, as 99% of them are going to automatically lock by default. On top of that, even my friends still have trouble opening the dang handles! :) . And in the end, I'm willing to give up a $300 window. I'm not willing to give up my cargo.

And if the car isn't locked, there is no felony... in CA.

Reactions: 16Coma
My guess is that a potential thief wouldn't even try a Tesla door handle, as 99% of them are going to automatically lock by default. On top of that, even my friends still have trouble opening the dang handles! :) . And in the end, I'm willing to give up a $300 window. I'm not willing to give up my cargo.

And if the car isn't locked, there is no felony... in CA.

Thieves don't care about the door handle, not even the dumb ones if it looks like you have something valuable. Note the doors have auto lock but if your partner uses the key card (not primary key) to drive your car, s/he wil have to lock the car upon exit. I mentioned risk propensity. If you keep $300+ tangible cargo in your vehicle, lock the doors - I don't. This vehicle has very minimal interfaces, save the big screen... that appeals to me and my minimalist mindset. It "looks" better with less stuff! (Contrast that to my Odyssey Touring with dual screens, a lazy Susan, fridge, its own vacuum, a ton of books and at least two umbrellas and other "cargo".) Hence, car is fairly empty and taking $5 or $10 is not worth the time for me to contact the ins co, vacuum broken glass, pay the deductible, e.t.c. I prefer to keep my windows intact.
Does the insurance co cover cost of a tinted window?

Thieves don't care about the door handle, not even the dumb ones if it looks like you have something valuable.
Sadly, they're still breaking into cars that don't look like there is anything valuable inside. Yes, even with the seats folded down and an empty trunk.What they generally don't seem to care about is any collateral damage (smashed windows, etc) even to score $1.25 in meter change hidden in the console, or a pair of gym shorts.
Does the insurance co cover cost of a tinted window?
yes.

Reactions: C141medic
Hydrogen peroxide is best for removing blood stains. Test on a non visible section first.

Did the PD take a dna sample?

Thank you, going to give that a try. PD got dna samples from all three cars, there was a decent amount of blood.

The crook also stole a beanie from my car, and left what I presume to be his beanie in my back seat....so I'm sure they got plenty of hair and other touch dna from that as well. It's probably all for nothing, but ya never know I guess...

I am thinking about putting LED lights inside the car that stay on when I park the vehicle out on the street. The lights would run from their own battery source. The idea is, the thief can see that there is nothing inside the car. Most LED lights have an auto shut off timer, that is why I am thinking of building my own. Knowing my luck thieves would probably steal the lights.

Put slow blinking LEDs next to the triangular windows to simulate an alarm system. Might make a cautious thief pause and re-think busting the window. I'm seriously considering adding an independent window breakage alarm. The kind with stick-on sensors attached to the glass. Visible enough to be a possible deterrent. However, that could mean my rear door windows would be targeted instead. Can't win....