Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Key Fob Pros/Cons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I read somewhere that sometimes you have to "wake up" the key fob by shaking it before it will connect with the car?

I have not experienced that?

Does the keyfob allow unlock charger cable?

As long as the car is 'awake' it should allow you to remove the charger if you have the fob in your pocket, sometimes you need to touch the rear door handle to wake the car up or even open and close that door.

If it's the same as the Model S fob, I find that just a tad too small and slippery. I have not got used to where the precise button points are and the miniscule slot for a keyring is so small I haven't found any ring that will go into it.
I think the slot is meant to accommodate a lanyard. You can then attach things to the other end of the lanyard. Or get a key fob cover with an attached key ring.

>>I think the slot is meant to accommodate a lanyard. You can then attach things to the other end of the lanyard. Or get a key fob cover with an attached key ring.<<

Yes it is - but actually threading anything thicker than thread through is like milking a mouse! I managed - or rather Mrs Wol747 did - to get a very thin ribbon through one of them. Anyway I've ordered a couple of key fob silicone covers, which will hopefully make them more user - friendly.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
The fob does not come with a key ring, it has an anchor point where you can attach one.
I ended up getting this one:
- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BH7L5KD

Tesla also sells a ‘key band’
- Model 3 Key Band

>>I think the slot is meant to accommodate a lanyard. You can then attach things to the other end of the lanyard. Or get a key fob cover with an attached key ring.<<

Yes it is - but actually threading anything thicker than thread through is like milking a mouse! I managed - or rather Mrs Wol747 did - to get a very thin ribbon through one of them. Anyway I've ordered a couple of key fob silicone covers, which will hopefully make them more user - friendly.

Looking at the pics on this Amazon listing it looks as though there is something on the back that slides off to allow the lanyard to be threaded. Have you tried that?

As long as the car is 'awake' it should allow you to remove the charger if you have the fob in your pocket, sometimes you need to touch the rear door handle to wake the car up or even open and close that door.

Really? If this is the case then I might be interested in a fob --- with my phone, waking the 3 and/or opening the door is not enough, I still have to navigate through the app to "unlock chargeport". Are you saying that the fob does this on walking up to the car or that there's a button combo on the fob to do it, like for the S or X?

I bought a fob, right after I got a delivery date for my car. It came very quickly - a couple of days delivery. I also got a rubberised fob cover from Abstract Ocean, so I can hook it to my key ring. This is where I kept the key for my previous car.

After I watched a YouTube video on how to do it, the setup was quick and easy.

Because I don't always remember to pick up my phone, but I do always remember my house keys, I am always able to drive my car. The fob works well. Double-click to unlock, single click to lock and press and hold for the charging flap.

Yes, it is rather expensive, but so is the car. I think it's a worthwhile investment for me and my personal lifestyle.

I don't know about the Model S, but for the Model 3, you don't need to thread it. You just pop off the cover to the fob, slide the lanyard loop over the hook and replace the cover, as shown in this video:

You can add the Tesla app as a widget on iPhone. You can access widgets by swiping from L to R on your first page of apps.

When the car is awake it'll give you access to Lock/ unlock, frunk and climate. It'll also tell you charging state, if on scheduled departure it'll tell you when it'll start charging.

you can also add the Stats app as a widget, it has a bit more functionality. NB no confirmation on button press, has caught me out a couple of times :confused:

Really? If this is the case then I might be interested in a fob --- with my phone, waking the 3 and/or opening the door is not enough, I still have to navigate through the app to "unlock chargeport". Are you saying that the fob does this on walking up to the car or that there's a button combo on the fob to do it, like for the S or X?

I just did a few tests:

Car charging and locked (no key)
- press button on charger and try to pull out charger, it is locked as expected

Car charging and locked (fob in pocket)
- press button on charger and pull out, no issues

Car done charging and locked (no key)
- press button on charger and try to pull out charger, it is locked as expected

Car done charging and locked (fob in pocket)

Car done charging and locked and 'asleep' (fob in pocket)
- in this case I usually need to touch the rear door handle and/or open and close it to wake the car up

Reactions: stonecoldrmw
>>I don't know about the Model S, but for the Model 3, you don't need to thread it. You just pop off the cover to the fob, slide the lanyard loop over the hook and replace the cover, as shown in this video<<

That explains the difference - the Model S fob is not the same. It has TWO panels, not one, and the lanyard slot appears to be partly over one "lid" and partly in the body. I don't like to prise the lid off to find out!