Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 Key FOB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this FOB do anything other than unlock the doors, trunk and frunk?

Can we drive the car without the card and phone by only using the FOB?

-Don- Auburn, CA
Yes! From the owner's manual, page 11:

Once inside, power up Model 3 by pressing the brake pedal within two minutes of pressing the unlock button on the key fob (see Starting and Powering Off on page 44)

From the Support page FAQ in case batteries run down, Model 3 Key Fob:

The Key Fob does not seem to be working and I can’t get into my car. What should I do?
If your Model 3 does not unlock when you press the unlock button on your Key Fob, the key’s battery could be dead. In this case, you can still unlock and drive your Model 3, as the Key Fob functions identically to the Model 3 Key Card. To unlock your Model 3 with the Key Fob when the battery is depleted, position the key on the B-pillar, as you would with your Key Card. You will then have two minutes to place the car in drive. If you need to put your car into drive after two minutes, touch the Key Fob to the center console, the same as you would with the Key Card.

Ordering for the fob is open again, and they're doing a 45 minute software update for car and phone with a warning that it may interfere with the locking function. Could be this is just secondary to the two being mutually offline, but I have to wonder if they are actually making more substantive changes to the locking process. I'm hoping maybe they've found a way to hack the trunk (not directly, which would be a hardware thing, but indirectly, via whatever data command the touchscreen would normally send?) We shall see.

Ordering for the fob is open again, and they're doing a 45 minute software update for car and phone with a warning that it may interfere with the locking function. Could be this is just secondary to the two being mutually offline, but I have to wonder if they are actually making more substantive changes to the locking process. I'm hoping maybe they've found a way to hack the trunk (not directly, which would be a hardware thing, but indirectly, via whatever data command the touchscreen would normally send?) We shall see.

What update is that? Assume you've received and installed already. What do the notes say exactly? My fob is on order and haven't received a ship notice yet. Presently on 2018.42.4.

BTW forgot to have my app set to my car as opposed to my husband's this morning and when I went out to open my door it wouldn't give me access. It was raining. Don't really like having rain falling on my phone and me while I try to get access. The center screen in the car popped up a big message to use my key card. Didn't want to fish through my purse to locate it (besides that would mean Walk Away wouldn't work later and I'd have to use my key card again). Ended up standing under the garage eaves to try to connect to my car which it wouldn't do. Got the message to turn off and on bluetooth on my phone which did quickly get me connected, but I felt stupid standing out there having a hard time getting into my own car. No neighbors watching me at least :rolleyes:. With the beginning of rainy season, my fob can't come soon enough; no shipping notice yet.

BTW haven't had any issues gaining access as long as my phone app is set to my car. Maybe more of a problem for multi-car families?

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyErik
BTW forgot to have my app set to my car as opposed to my husband's this morning and when I went out to open my door it wouldn't give me access. It was raining. Don't really like having rain falling on my phone and me while I try to get access. The center screen in the car popped up a big message to use my key card. Didn't want to fish through my purse to locate it (besides that would mean Walk Away wouldn't work later and I'd have to use my key card again). Ended up standing under the garage eaves to try to connect to my car which it wouldn't do. Got the message to turn off and on bluetooth on my phone which did quickly get me connected, but I felt stupid standing out there having a hard time getting into my own car. No neighbors watching me at least :rolleyes:. With the beginning of rainy season, my fob can't come soon enough; no shipping notice yet.

BTW haven't had any issues gaining access as long as my phone app is set to my car. Maybe more of a problem for multi-car families?
With the fob, you can place it on the door b pillar drivers side and inside where one would put the key card in the center console, it does the same thing.

Ordered my fob on 11/18 and Saturday night around 6pm got an email it had shipped via FedEx. Will need to check back later for it to enter their tracking system for a delivery date. Just a heads up for others who ordered around my timeframe.

Website is saying it's out of stock right now btw.

Well was scheduled to get my Fob today, but when I checked with the FedEx tracking it said it was still waiting for Shipper to send but with a delivery date by end of today. Doubled checked with FedEx and they reconfirmed that it wasn’t on a truck and just not updated in the system. They told me to contact the Shipper. My Tesla email saying it was shipped had a reply at the bottom so I asked about it. Got a response back quite quickly actually from Tesla. They said it was shipped on 12/8 but apparently FedEx never scanned the package so the $150 package is lost and location unknown and they would expedite a replacement out to me. Apologized for any inconvenience— but of course now they are out of stock and their next shipment was overdue, but maybe in in next few weeks.

How long has Fedex tracking been in this status? In my experience the tracking always says that for a couple of days when Tesla is about to ship something to me (I'm also in the Bay Area). Then it jumps immediately to "on truck for delivery" and is usually delivered the same day (coincidentally I also had a package shipped on 12/8 according to the Tesla email and it switched to "on truck" this morning). So I'd say wait a few more days, the package may still show up.

How long has Fedex tracking been in this status? In my experience the tracking always says that for a couple of days when Tesla is about to ship something to me (I'm also in the Bay Area). Then it jumps immediately to "on truck for delivery" and is usually delivered the same day (coincidentally I also had a package shipped on 12/8 according to the Tesla email and it switched to "on truck" this morning). So I'd say wait a few more days, the package may still show up.

Appreciate hearing your experience. To answer your question since Friday evening around 5 or 6 pm. FedEx claimed they never got the package but you never know. I've had UPS and USPS also show no movement and then suddenly show tracking across country. I will keep checking and hoping for the best.

Fob Found in shipping somewhere apparently and expected delivery later today. It left Newark near the Tesla factory on Saturday and only showed up in tracking in Tracy early this morning, arriving and departing from there. Glad to know it's not lost.

No lanyard in my box either in this last batch shipped out. Just the two batteries; put one in and it worked.

Success authorizing the fob. Good thing I took my key card out to the car with me in addition to my phone when setting up because when I got to the Add screen it said to put an authorized key behind the cup area. At first I didn’t see “authorized” key and just put the Fob there but kept getting the same message. Key card satisfied it. Changed the name of the new “key” to FOB on my display and then checked that everything worked — Unlock/Lock, trunk and frunk. Forgot to try holding it to the B pillar. Hardest part I thought was getting the battery door off. Didn’t want to break it so found someone’s youtube video on doing this and a tiny screw driver to get it open.

Also saw somewhere it said to keep the battery clean of fingerprint oil so wiped it down well while inserting into the compartment. Now just need to find a lanyard to use. When we were waiting for our Model S to be delivered I was excited we were getting the car and ordered from Tesla their Maumee leather key fob holder and key ring. When we got the car found I couldn’t use it since the Model S fobs were changed to add the rubber band. The Maumee holder fits my Model 3 fob perfectly and gives me a key ring to attach the lanyard to now. A more classic look than the silicon Fob holders.

Yes, I laughed at the minimal instructions too. Step 1 - go to controls on your screen; Step 2 - go to the Lock menu; Step 3 - Add +. From there pretty straight forward if you’ve already added phones or other key cards. Pencil lets you change the name of something.

Nice you showed the phone notification. My husband and I have access to each other’s cars. I saw the message in my phone and then quickly had my husband text me “is this you?” along with the notification he got. Guess he was wondering if someone was messing with the car. It is nice to get the notifications.

Last edited:
Yes, I laughed at the minimal instructions too. Step 1 - go to controls on your screen; Step 2 - go to the Lock menu; Step 3 - Add +. From there pretty straight forward if you’ve already added phones or other key cards. Pencil lets you change the name of something.
No - it all became very obvious once I was in the car but not so much looking at the Graphic.
It would’ve been nice to have some sort of instructions telling you how to open up the fob to get the battery in and that there was a place to attach a key ring which by the way should have been included as far as I’m concerned - they could have even charged me $151 if they would’ve thrown one in.

• Funny
Reactions: forkee and SMAlset