Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 LR Ground clearance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently purchased a MY3 LR with 19" wheels, but the route to my house's parking area has a hump in the lane that is quite severe, Before buying I gave it a test with two blocks of wood 140mm high and a long plank 2875mm on top of them. It looks like I had just about 10mm clearance on the more severe bump,

After collecting the car I checked the clearance and it is actually more like 130mm, the 140mm blocks of wood don't fit at all. There's like a plastic sill running the length of the car between the wheels that protrudes lower than the battery.

Maybe its the 19" option wheels, or maybe Tesla measure the 140mm ground clearance at the centre line of the car. Either way, I get a painful grinding noise as I drive over the hump.

Are the plastic sills supposed to be sacrificial and there to protect the battery, or is there something I can fit to the sills that will take the brunt of the scraping?

Maybe its the 19" option wheels, or maybe Tesla measure the 140mm ground clearance at the centre line of the car. Either way, I get a painful grinding noise as I drive over the hump.

Thanks @init6 I missed that thread!

That looks like a private road, the approach I would take would be to build up the lower part before the hump to effectively form a couple of smaller humps. It looks like the road surface is already patched tarmac, so should be fairly easy to get some more tarmac laid to build it up. Perhaps ring around some local people that do tarmac drives and drop kerbs as they may be able to use some excess/extra from when they are doing another job and you may get a good price.

The wheel option makes very little difference to ride height. Between the 18" and 20" wheel options the ride height difference will be about 2.5mm.
Have you checked what actual part of the bodywork is scraping on the hump with someone outside the car observing?
If you have mud flaps fitted, they will be the first thing you'd hear and too a certain extent they are sacrificial.
There are also other small pastic trims behind the wheel arches low on the car which will scrape on humps before the sills or battery pack.

The wheel option makes very little difference to ride height. Between the 18" and 20" wheel options the ride height difference will be about 2.5mm.
Have you checked what actual part of the bodywork is scraping on the hump with someone outside the car observing?
If you have mud flaps fitted, they will be the first thing you'd hear and too a certain extent they are sacrificial.
There are also other small pastic trims behind the wheel arches low on the car which will scrape on humps before the sills or battery pack.

I guess that's the next step, how do I convince the Mrs to crawl on her hands and knees peering under the car?