Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 not sleeping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well power cycle did not help.
Car is still shown as online. Had short drive and it did not even go offline as it is online 1 hour after drive
Wifi disabled, LTE connection is 4 bars.

Just jumped in on last page. It’s not clear if you are confusing what offline means. Update - or my not understanding teslamate terminology.

Offline is an abnormal state. It does not mean that the car is sleeping. Offline means that it is out of contact with the servers, either no network connection (poor signal etc) or a possible fault condition.

When a car is sleeping, it should still be online.

I don’t know if Tesla Mate has an offline notifier. TeslaFi does and it’s configurable how long it needs to be offline before you get the notification.

We often park in a semi underground car park. Car often goes offline there as mobile signal is marginal. That is expected. It’s no different with my phone signal.

However before our MCU failed the car would go offline for extended periods even in locations that would normally have good connectivity. The MCU failure was down to a ‘gateway’ failure, ie part of the MCU that handles remote connectivity.

Last edited:
Just jumped in on last page. It’s not clear if you are confusing what offline means. Update - or my not understanding teslamate terminology.

Offline is an abnormal state. It does not mean that the car is sleeping. Offline means that it is out of contact with the servers, either no network connection (poor signal etc) or a possible fault condition.

When a car is sleeping, it should still be online.

I don’t know if Tesla Mate has an offline notifier. TeslaFi does and it’s configurable how long it needs to be offline before you get the notification.

We often park in a semi underground car park. Car often goes offline there as mobile signal is marginal. That is expected. It’s no different with my phone signal.

However before our MCU failed the car would go offline for extended periods even in locations that would normally have good connectivity. The MCU failure was down to a ‘gateway’ failure, ie part of the MCU that handles remote connectivity.
That's the thing. It should show "asleep" not online, no?

In teslamate the online is cyan, asleep is green. It should fall asleep after some time of inactivity.

If you check others, all have their cars asleep

I do not really care if it is asleep or not in general. I am concerned why it is losing charge at the rate it does...

Yes it should be asleep and green.

Vanilla was referring to the car being connected to the network rather than a Teslamate specific state.

If it's not asleep it will lose charge at a much higher rate than when asleep. Petrol dripping out the tank as opposed to evaporating if you like.

That's the thing. It should show "asleep" not online, no?

In teslamate the online is cyan, asleep is green. It should fall asleep after some time of inactivity.

If you check others, all have their cars asleep

I do not really care if it is asleep or not in general. I am concerned why it is losing charge at the rate it does...
If it isn’t asleep then you will lose 1% every couple of hours because the onboard computer isn’t very energy efficient, especially if you have an AMD processor.

The biggest concern is the offline yellow state showing on your Teslamate state graph. It is abnormal and indicates an issue. You say you have good 4g signal and you have rebooted the vehicle so just log a service request and get Tesla to look at why it isn’t going to sleep and dropping offline - maybe they can reinstall the last update if it didn’t install cleanly.

online. fell asleep a bit and back to online.

1645315638064.png

the bit of charging is when I set up intelligent Octopus and it had to do the initial charge

Hopefully clearing the app out got rid of the offline states. Let's review in the morning. Sometimes it takes a while to settle down.

I had another thought about the update you mentioned. How many updates have you done? I'm not quite following the chronology of events here. Teslamate showed an update in one of the first graphs you posted. So this must have been running after you had installed Teslamate. Were you having the problem before you installed Teslamate and hence the last update? Or have you updated the car more than once?

Just FYI - removal of an app did not change anything. It still doesn't fall asleep.

What I noticed from earlier posted chart, that I had an update to the software. And it started since then. Maybe that's the reason
Could be tesla monitoring the new update? I'm sure I've not had this but not checked it either. Perhaps someone else could chime in.

Usually with excessive battery drain it originates from a third party app polling the car to wake it up, or as you know sentry mode. Going into the app also wakes the car but I'm sure you know that too. It's definitely strange behaviour and must be down to the new update, if that's when you noticed it. Maybe worthwhile logging a service request and get tesla to look into it for you. They should have the answers.

Hopefully clearing the app out got rid of the offline states. Let's review in the morning. Sometimes it takes a while to settle down.

I had another thought about the update you mentioned. How many updates have you done? I'm not quite following the chronology of events here. Teslamate showed an update in one of the first graphs you posted. So this must have been running after you had installed Teslamate. Were you having the problem before you installed Teslamate and hence the last update? Or have you updated the car more than once?
I started to have problems that particular date I posted the thread. installed teslamate in the afternoon on that day. so probably not connected events.

I already reinstalled app as in half of the day there were no changes.

What is interesting that notification on the app (Android's silent notification, showing a permanent notification in the drawer) shows disconnected and then suddenly connected. I presume it shows the app connecting to the car. Question is - WHY? my BT shows that it is disconnected.
Note: I do not open app itself. it is a permanent notification of an app.
If I press on the notification - it opens app, but it also says "last seen xx hrs ago" depending on when opened last time

super strange behaviour.

Last edited:
Could be tesla monitoring the new update? I'm sure I've not had this but not checked it either. Perhaps someone else could chime in.

Usually with excessive battery drain it originates from a third party app polling the car to wake it up, or as you know sentry mode. Going into the app also wakes the car but I'm sure you know that too. It's definitely strange behaviour and must be down to the new update, if that's when you noticed it. Maybe worthwhile logging a service request and get tesla to look into it for you. They should have the answers.
yeah, booked it for March.

it is not that it worries me a lot, but, the moment which I have to take into account is the holiday which will have car parked in the airport for almost 2 weeks.
If this is ~5% in 24 hrs, my battery might be dead when I return...

Reactions: init6
I already reinstalled app as in half of the day there were no changes.

What is interesting that notification on the app (Android's silent notification, showing a permanent notification in the drawer) shows disconnected and then suddenly connected. I presume it shows the app connecting to the car. Question is - WHY? my BT shows that it is disconnected.

super strange behaviour.
Uninstall the app. You really don't want anything being able to contact the car. Once you're happy the car is sleeping properly then you can reinstall the app. Otherwise we'll never know if the app is keeping the car awake or something else. I also don't understand the silent notification. I don't have an Android phone so can't really comment.