Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3 owners help .. will my Kayak fit ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i got my invite to configure but I need help. I have a Hobie 14 inflatable kayak that folds into a travel case that is 34 inches wide and 18 inches high. And 4 feet long.
Will a rectangular box this size fit in the trunck ? What is the shortest height from trunk floor to any cross bar above?

I am debating trading in my 2013 S60 for the 3 , this is critical info, other opinions / considerations welcome.

Thanks !

Last edited:
i got my invite to configure but I need help. I have a Hobie 14 inflatable kayak that folds into a travel case that is 34 inches wide and 18 inches high. And 4 feet long.
Will a rectangular box this size fit in the trunck ? What is the shortest height from trunk floor to any cross bar above?

I am debating trading in my 2013 S60 for the 3 , this is critical info, other opinions / considerations welcome.

Thanks !
I have a Hobie i14 inflatable tandem peddle drive. It would fit in the trunk of a 3 with the rear seats folded down. YMMV.

Thank you guys.

T34ME I have the same i14. , you say YMMV .. I am concerned about the 18 inch high cross bar. Does it fit OK ? What about all the perifferal peddles etc ( in the back seat i assume )
To be clear, I don't have my 3 yet. I just went out and took some rough dimensions of my i14 in its bag and compared to dimensions listed in the video. When I say YMMV, it will be a tight fit and it will depend on how carefully you pack your inflatable. The peddle drive will fit inside the rear cab on top of the inflatable bag. Plenty of room for those.

Wait till you see the storage space with the rear seat folded down! My SIL had said that he would never purchase a 3 because he wanted a hatchback to transport his bike. He saw the interior of a 3 yesterday for the first time at a local meetup. He said, "my dog the storage is cavernous!" He said he didn't have to measure, he could tell his bike will fit in there with the front wheel on. He currently drives a Mazda 3 and he has to remove the front wheel to get it in the back of his hatchback. His parting shot was, "I've got to get me one of these Model 3's !"

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike
Thanks T34ME,
It appears it will be a tight fit on the cross bar. I am hoping you can put it in wheels first and push forward though to the folded seats. Unfortunately i am not aware of any M3 deliveries in So Florida yet. The Tesla store folks have no car and no info.

Also it appears there is a lower section and then steps up a few inches on each side. Do you know the width of the lower section is ? Will the case wheels fit in the lower section?

Last edited:
Thanks T34ME,
It appears it will be a tight fit on the cross bar. I am hoping you can put it in wheels first and push forward though to the folded seats.
Yes, that is the procedure I would use and the only one that would work.
Also it appears there is a lower section and then steps up a few inches on each side. Do you know the width of the lower section is ? Will the case wheels fit in the lower section?
Not sure I know what you are talking about. When the back seats are folded down, the rear deck is essentially flat.

Yes, that is the procedure I would use and the only one that would work.

Not sure I know what you are talking about. When the back seats are folded down, the rear deck is essentially flat.

in the video they measure the width between the wheel wells. But i am looking for the width for the flat section below the wheel well. There is a step that looks 2-3 inches narrower than the wheel well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.28.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 7.28.38 PM.png
    430.7 KB · Views: 106